ticket purchase

Jinn

How far out may one purchase a ticket. Is it 330 days, 335, or 339? Does it differ from airline to airline? Thanks, Julia

With some of the discount carriers it will vary. Most of the main legacy airlines will allow out to the 330 days as previously posted.

Does it differ from airline to airline?
Yes, it does - and it differs even between different full-service airlines.
The legacy carriers take reservations 330 days in advance.
Not all of them. Two that I use open bookings at 355 days and 360 days.

What about BA? Looking to book for August 2012.
BA books 355 days: the furthest date that can be booked today (23 June) is 11 June 2012.

However, I'm not sure why there is such a clamour to book as soon as bookings open. It's very often the case that there are no fares or seats loaded for the cheapest booking classes, so tickets can be more expensive when bookings open than they are a month later.

There's a myth around that airlines have a pile of tickets to sell, some cheaper than others, that they all go on sale when bookings open, and that once the cheaper tickets are sold, they're gone. Real life shops don't work like that, so I don't know where this idea came from that airlines are different.

BA books 355 days: the furthest date that can be booked today (23 June) is 11 June 2012.

However, I'm not sure why there is such a clamour to book as soon as bookings open. It's very often the case that there are no fares or seats loaded for the cheapest booking classes, so tickets can be more expensive when bookings open than they are a month later.

There's a myth around that airlines have a pile of tickets to sell, some cheaper than others, that they all go on sale when bookings open, and that once the cheaper tickets are sold, they're gone. Real life shops don't work like that, so I don't know where this idea came from that airlines are different.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason as to when tickets are cheaper.

I haven't flown BA since 2005, and at that time you could choose a seat when you booked. I just read a thread that this policy was changed somewhere in the 2007-2008 region. Therefore, no reason for me to book early to choose a seat!

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason as to when tickets are cheaper.
Other than that they're cheaper during a sale - if there are sale fares for your route and travel date.

Some of us who buy a lot of tickets become very conscious of when there might be a sale, and of the details.

Therefore, no reason for me to book early to choose a seat!
That was, in fact, one of the reasons behind the policy change. Those who book very close to the time of travel are, in general, likely to pay more than those who book further out. So allowing passengers to choose a seat when they booked tends to disadvantage those who are paying more; it turns seating into a first-come first-served game when there is no moral merit in being early and when the consequences don't match the commercial reality of the business.

Other than for those for whom seat allocation is free of charge anyway, the options are now to pre-allocate a seat well before travel if you like, for a fee; or check-in online and allocate your seats then for no extra charge.

Other than that they're cheaper during a sale - if there are sale fares for your route and travel date.

Some of us who buy a lot of tickets become very conscious of when there might be a sale, and of the details.That was, in fact, one of the reasons behind the policy change. Those who book very close to the time of travel are, in general, likely to pay more than those who book further out. So allowing passengers to choose a seat when they booked tends to disadvantage those who are paying more; it turns seating into a first-come first-served game when there is no moral merit in being early and when the consequences don't match the commercial reality of the business.

Other than for those for whom seat allocation is free of charge anyway, the options are now to pre-allocate a seat well before travel if you like, for a fee; or check-in online and allocate your seats then for no extra charge.

Good info, thanks.

I paid $2500 R/T for 2 TPA-LGW in 2005. I'll only need one way next year (same flight) and really hope to not pay that much, although it won't be shocking if I do.

Let's hope I see a sale:)

Good info, thanks.

I paid $2500 R/T for 2 TPA-LGW in 2005. I'll only need one way next year (same flight) and really hope to not pay that much, although it won't be shocking if I do.

Let's hope I see a sale:)

Jen,

Unless there is a compelling reason to go into Gatwick, you should really consider Heathrow. Heathrow is usually a little cheaper and frequently has more options. I looked at Choice Air for August of this year and there are several options in the $625 p/p range. Unless you will only fly BA, I suggest you check Choice Air out (and BA comes up on there sometimes, too).

Unless there is a compelling reason to go into Gatwick, you should really consider Heathrow. Heathrow is usually a little cheaper and frequently has more options.
A non-stop flight to a London airport from an airport only 30 minutes away from home would be pretty compelling for me!

The bigger problem will be finding any low one-way fares for this long-haul route. I don't think they exist.

It depends on what you consider low-cost. I randomly checked several dates and can find flights one way in either direction for under $600. That isn't cheap, but in today's world, it isn't outrageous.

Tampa has one non-stop flight to London daily and it's to Gatwick.

Because we have to arrive the day of the cruise, I thought I would buy this flight through Choice Air or a consolidator thinking that this is my only choice, so it was worth the gamble and would hopefully be a lot cheaper.

But now, reading this board it seems my logic was backwards. Because this is the only flight option I should only buy from BA in case there is a delay and I have to catch a flight to Paris to meet the ship in La Havre the next day...aahh....over a year away and it's already stressing me out!

Of course I'll be on these boards asking for routing help if *gasp* I do end up needing plan B.

Archived