nursing infants in common areas

DiploTraveler

I'm traveling on NCL with my wife and 1-year-old infant in Nov. My son is still breastfed and we're wondering what the policies are on feeding him in the common areas. I couldn't find any info on NCL's site.

We're really only concerned with embarkation day before we're able to enter our stateroom. After the stateroom is available, my wife will just feed him in there.

Don't worry, as long as you are discreet, no one will even notice! There are no "policies" about breastfeeding in public....and it's possible to do it without anyone being the wiser. I would breastfeed both of my kids in restaurants, parks, etc...and no one even knew!

Don't worry, as long as you are discreet, no one will even notice! There are no "policies" about breastfeeding in public....and it's possible to do it without anyone being the wiser. I would breastfeed both of my kids in restaurants, parks, etc...and no one even knew!

How busy is the library during embarkation day? I would imagine that it'd be rather empty if it's open. Maybe that's a good quiet place to go...

I'm pretty sure the only policy is that you have every right to. DD is a year and is still breastfed. The only reason I don't nurse her in public often is bc she is too interested in everything else. If someone says something to you, you can tell them to take their lunch back to their room because it makes you uncomfortable to watch them eat :-) Enjoy!

There are no formal rules and I would not expect to be confronted. Keep in mind that the majority of the crew and a sizeable portion of the passengers on any cruise ship will be non-American. Breastfeeding to age 2 or longer is the norm in most places in the world. Most people will not bat an eye at it, and for those who do, too bad for them, they have no right to stop you.

I would also not worry about breastfeeding "discreetly." There's no need to cover up or hide feeding an infant. Very few jurisdictions suggest that women should breastfeed "discreetly," and the idea that breastfeeding should be hidden is very detrimental to both the woman feeding her child and to others who would observe it. Breastfeeding should be open and obvious, it is the normal way for infants to be fed, and it should be "normalized" by being done without shame. Breastfeeding is the natural way that infants acquire nutrition, and has been for hundreds of thousands of years, and we Americans as a society should get over our bizarre squeamishness. Most infants don't like to be covered while they eat, and there's no reason to inconvenience mom and child by forcing them to retreat out of the public eye for feeding just because some observer has an unreasonable hang-up about breastfeeding.

There are no formal rules and I would not expect to be confronted. Keep in mind that the majority of the crew and a sizeable portion of the passengers on any cruise ship will be non-American. Breastfeeding to age 2 or longer is the norm in most places in the world. Most people will not bat an eye at it, and for those who do, too bad for them, they have no right to stop you.

I would also not worry about breastfeeding "discreetly." There's no need to cover up or hide feeding an infant. Very few jurisdictions suggest that women should breastfeed "discreetly," and the idea that breastfeeding should be hidden is very detrimental to both the woman feeding her child and to others who would observe it. Breastfeeding should be open and obvious, it is the normal way for infants to be fed, and it should be "normalized" by being done without shame. Breastfeeding is the natural way that infants acquire nutrition, and has been for hundreds of thousands of years, and we Americans as a society should get over our bizarre squeamishness. Most infants don't like to be covered while they eat, and there's no reason to inconvenience mom and child by forcing them to retreat out of the public eye for feeding just because some observer has an unreasonable hang-up about breastfeeding.

Amen!

I'd like to also add that I find that women who go to great lengths to "cover up" when breastfeeding often just seem to draw more attention to themselves by doing so. Just be discrete without making a production of it, and you should be fine.

Well, I think that there should be some covering up. I mean, really, if I wanted to see your naked breast or your nipples and I asked you any other time you'd be pissed and offended. I'm female by the way and did breastfeed my first child. I just don't get why you think every Tom, Dick and Harry REALLY wants to see your breasts. Having sex is normal as well, but I don't want to watch you do that either. It really sounds like you are saying "it's all about ME and only ME and to h*ll with the rest of you. I'm the only one that is important". A little discretion will earn you much more respect and apathy then anything else.

Well, I think that there should be some covering up. I mean, really, if I wanted to see your naked breast or your nipples and I asked you any other time you'd be pissed and offended. I'm female by the way and did breastfeed my first child. I just don't get why you think every Tom, Dick and Harry REALLY wants to see your breasts. Having sex is normal as well, but I don't want to watch you do that either. It really sounds like you are saying "it's all about ME and only ME and to h*ll with the rest of you. I'm the only one that is important". A little discretion will earn you much more respect and apathy then anything else.

I don't care in the least what any "Tom, Dick or Harry" feels about my breasts. My breasts aren't for "Tom, Dick or Harry's" amusement or consumption. They serve a purpose - feeding my child. I see men's naked breasts and nipples all over the place, as well as rolls of fat, butt cheeks hanging out the bottom of clothes, yes, even testicles dangling below swimwear. So what? Doesn't averting one's eyes solve the problem of "I don't want to see this"?

You really think that because someone wants to sexualize my breasts, my child should suffer? Boo on that. You're saying that you, or "Tom, Dick or Harry" have a right to view me as a sexual object that surpasses my right to care for my infant? You're saying that your decision that my breasts are first and foremost sexual objects that should not be displayed in public is more important than my child's hunger, fear, or pain that is comforted by nursing? And you think I'M the one who thinks it's all about me? That's rich.

I don't care in the least what any "Tom, Dick or Harry" feels about my breasts. My breasts aren't for "Tom, Dick or Harry's" amusement or consumption. They serve a purpose - feeding my child. I see men's naked breasts and nipples all over the place, as well as rolls of fat, butt cheeks hanging out the bottom of clothes, yes, even testicles dangling below swimwear. So what? Doesn't averting one's eyes solve the problem of "I don't want to see this"?

You really think that because someone wants to sexualize my breasts, my child should suffer? Boo on that. You're saying that you, or "Tom, Dick or Harry" have a right to view me as a sexual object that surpasses my right to care for my infant? You're saying that your decision that my breasts are first and foremost sexual objects that should not be displayed in public is more important than my child's hunger, fear, or pain that is comforted by nursing? And you think I'M the one who thinks it's all about me? That's rich.

Yes, breastfeeding is a perfectly natural and beautiful thing. It's not a thing you should have to do in secret, but it's also not a thing to flaunt.

Feed in public, by all means - I fed all three of my children in a variety of places. But I think you should accept that some members of the public will be offended or affronted - and for the sake of a calm atmosphere and to avoid any unpleasantness during feeding (which would upset both mother and baby) I would try to feed discretely.

I remember how grateful I was to a woman I had never met before. We were on a scenic train ride in Australia. It was hot and I was wearing a sun dress. My 11-month old son got thirsty at a time when I had not anticipated having to feed him (hot weather, remember) and this lovely woman lent me a headscarf, so that I could feed him without flashing my boobs at the whole carriage.

I nursed everywhere and anywhere on the ship. One time I was in the middle of trivia and one of the ladies on my team was shocked that there was a baby under my "blanket". She just thought I was cold.

I would suggest not showing it all. Thought I'm all for breastfeeding, not all people want to see it. I used a light nursing cover, which was perfect for the hot weather.

To the OP. As usual someone always has to argue about a woman's right to flash her breast in public when they are nursing. Darn the luck I'm not nursing so therefore I have no rights to flash anyone. LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. I would say the library would be a very quiet and peaceful spot to nurse your child before you can get to the cabin. In fact you could always ask the staff of the spa if your wife could use one of the massage rooms that would offer her some privacy. If not a quiet corner somewhere on the main decks would work too. I remember how difficult it was to keep a little one 'under wraps' while nursing in public. I didn't want to flash myself to anyone at that point in time. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Don't worry, there are plenty of quiet spaces on the ship that you can find to feed your child. Familiarize yourself with the deck plans before you board.

DD (4) cruised when she was 12 months. I nursed her until she was 2 1/2. I nursed her (discreetly) all through the ship when necessary. Not a soul said a word. I tried to mostly nurse in the cabin. Every parent knows that sometimes this just isn't possible. I used a nursing cover and no one even seemed to notice.

Don't pay attention to the PP that compares watching breastfeeding to watching someone having sex. Ridiculous! I nursed 3 children for over a year each and never showed a nipple to anyone in public. I believe that most mothers have no interest in "exposing" themselves. I can't think of a single time that I have even seen this myself! Some people will always have hang-ups about breastfeeding, especially if the child is not a newborn. Most of them either did not nurse or nursed for a few short weeks. It is pointless to try to change their views. I think that it is really very sad, especially for their children and grandchildren.

Congratulations on making it this far with breastfeeding. It is the best nutrition and comfort that you can give to a child. Don't worry, I am sure that you can find a way to make the first day, and every day, of your cruise work for your family. Good luck and happy sailing!

To the OP. As usual someone always has to argue about a woman's right to flash her breast in public when they are nursing. Darn the luck I'm not nursing so therefore I have no rights to flash anyone. LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist. I would say the library would be a very quiet and peaceful spot to nurse your child before you can get to the cabin. In fact you could always ask the staff of the spa if your wife could use one of the massage rooms that would offer her some privacy. If not a quiet corner somewhere on the main decks would work too. I remember how difficult it was to keep a little one 'under wraps' while nursing in public. I didn't want to flash myself to anyone at that point in time. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

I don’t have a problem with woman breastfeeding. My DIL is doing it right now with my 4 month old DGD. Most likely if I saw you feeding your baby I’d give you a smile and a nice comment about your baby. My comments were mostly responding to milton333’s post. The way she phrases it and then she goes on and on about how natural it is and how being “discreet” is not necessary. My “sex” comment was only to show the silly comparison about just because something is natural doesn’t mean it needs to be public. I’m not talking about “flashing”. I actually have seen women whip out their boobs with no cover at all. If they had actually attached the baby to them instead of taking a few minutes I probably wouldn’t have noticed. I think the majority of people have responded along the same lines as me. Feed your baby anywhere you want, just do it discretely.

I don’t have a problem with woman breastfeeding. My DIL is doing it right now with my 4 month old DGD. Most likely if I saw you feeding your baby I’d give you a smile and a nice comment about your baby. My comments were mostly responding to milton333’s post. The way she phrases it and then she goes on and on about how natural it is and how being “discreet” is not necessary. My “sex” comment was only to show the silly comparison about just because something is natural doesn’t mean it needs to be public. I’m not talking about “flashing”. I actually have seen women whip out their boobs with no cover at all. If they had actually attached the baby to them instead of taking a few minutes I probably wouldn’t have noticed. I think the majority of people have responded along the same lines as me. Feed your baby anywhere you want, just do it discretely.

I had assumed you didn't have a problem with it and knew your post was directed at the pp. Ijust couldn't resist a flashing comment. I had too many carbs last night! (Been on a diet! Sounds like a good excuse) I agree 100% the flashing issue isn't bad it's the obvious hey look I'm nursing so I'm going to keep it out there for a few. I agree 100% with what you said. :)

I too have BF'd just about anywhere, but I agree being discreet isn't being shameful, rather courteous of making others uncomfortable.

Yes, I personally think it is silly to be uncomfortable at the sight of a woman breastfeeding, but fact is, it does make people uncomfortable. So I tried to be courteous of this.

It does crack me up that people think breast milk is gross and germy. Yet we all drink what comes out of a cow's udder. Shouldn't that be more weird??

• 4 weeks later...

Without getting drawn into whether you need to be discrete or not, if you are looking for a quiet area (lets say because baby doesn't feed well with distractions) then the library actually may not be ideal. I've seen several people talking about the library being one of their embarkation day stops as they want to go and pick up thier reading material for the cruise. So it may actually have a fair bit of traffic.

I'm traveling on NCL with my wife and 1-year-old infant in Nov. My son is still breastfed and we're wondering what the policies are on feeding him in the common areas. I couldn't find any info on NCL's site.

We're really only concerned with embarkation day before we're able to enter our stateroom. After the stateroom is available, my wife will just feed him in there.

As other posters mentioned, she will be fine breastfeeding in public. I'm sure she could find a nice quiet area outside if she wanted to enjoy the fresh sea air. Also, a lot of the seating (indoors and out) can easily be turned to face the ocean or a corner if that is your wife's preference.

As other posters mentioned, she will be fine breastfeeding in public. I'm sure she could find a nice quiet area outside if she wanted to enjoy the fresh sea air. Also, a lot of the seating (indoors and out) can easily be turned to face the ocean or a corner if that is your wife's preference.

Agreed with this. I, for one, like to walk all over and explore my "home" for the week on embarkation day so you might have people walking through wherever you are. I'd recommend turning away and facing the ocean (people will probably think your baby is just sleeping). Your baby might not want to nurse under a cover by that point (one-year-olds are very curious!) so I'd recommend wearing 2 shirts - a tank underneath that you can pull down and a top that you can pull up. Using a nursing cover makes it more obvious that you are nursing (if that's what you're worried about conveying), especially if your LO is fighting against it.

Why is it the female breast is viewed so sexually by Americans? For whatever reason, men from this country are so totally enamored with the mammary gland, while you don't find that in other cultures. Feed your baby trying to be as discreet as possible, and the heck with everyone else. But, I do remember my cousin, who was at a sports bar in Phoenix, and she whipped out her "feeder" right there in front of a bunch of men, without covering. While I'm pretty liberal with feeding a baby, this was not the place to do that, and it was quite uncomfortable for me. The guys just sat there, tongues hanging out, like they've never seen a woman before.

We waited until our son was 2.5 to cruise so he was toilet trained and able to use the pools, he was only just weaned then so it is common across the world to find lots of fellow cruisers who will be more than understanding of you choosing (or your little one!) choosing to feed in public areas.

I got a serve from a lady breastfeeding in local park no so long ago as my son was just standing there staring and wouldn't move. I politely explained that he wasn't confused by the situation, I think he was waiting for his turn!

• 2 weeks later...
We waited until our son was 2.5 to cruise so he was toilet trained and able to use the pools, he was only just weaned then so it is common across the world to find lots of fellow cruisers who will be more than understanding of you choosing (or your little one!) choosing to feed in public areas.

I got a serve from a lady breastfeeding in local park no so long ago as my son was just standing there staring and wouldn't move. I politely explained that he wasn't confused by the situation, I think he was waiting for his turn!

LOL

this thread is a very educational one. :) as a mom who swore she'd give up nursing the moment a baby teethed....to nursing the second one into toddlerhood (1st weaned at just shy of 2 1/2) and we will be cruising right around the time I anticipate this one will wean....for the 'discretion' comments -- I don't know about other women who are nursing in public...I do what I gotta do and I don't loll the thing about like a weapon or pom pom before getting little nurszilla to latch on. But I also don't cover her up. It doesn't work, and it just makes it worse. I do use the two-shirt strategy b/c I was/am always more worried about my belly hanging out than my boob...not that I want my boob hanging out, but really, when a baby is nursing, you can't see much if any boob with the shirt and head and good arm placement. But the side of the belly under the baby can get some air time. Hence, long stretchy tanks for me!

Nursing in public is not about exhibitionism...it seems some people think that? I nurse in public only when forced to by timing or to avoid a total meltdown when there is no way to get back to a private spot.

LOL

this thread is a very educational one. :) as a mom who swore she'd give up nursing the moment a baby teethed....to nursing the second one into toddlerhood (1st weaned at just shy of 2 1/2) and we will be cruising right around the time I anticipate this one will wean....for the 'discretion' comments -- I don't know about other women who are nursing in public...I do what I gotta do and I don't loll the thing about like a weapon or pom pom before getting little nurszilla to latch on. But I also don't cover her up. It doesn't work, and it just makes it worse. I do use the two-shirt strategy b/c I was/am always more worried about my belly hanging out than my boob...not that I want my boob hanging out, but really, when a baby is nursing, you can't see much if any boob with the shirt and head and good arm placement. But the side of the belly under the baby can get some air time. Hence, long stretchy tanks for me!

Nursing in public is not about exhibitionism...it seems some people think that? I nurse in public only when forced to by timing or to avoid a total meltdown when there is no way to get back to a private spot.

How wonderful that you have nursed your children for this amount of time! You are a great Mama IMHO!

Archived