Rio to Buenos Aires

bgp

Did a 19 day cruise on "O" in April, started in Buenos Aries to Montevideo then Rio, Salvador, Recife and then to Europe. Very interesting cities not what we expected at all. I suggest you use private tour guides to get the most out of your time. These ports have a lot to see and experience plus they can be confusing without the language issues and there is the ever potential for theft.

We intended to just do a walking tour of Montevideo but met a fluent English speaking taxi driver who convinced us to hop his cab for $30.00 for 2 hrs. We ended up with him for 3 hours and even went to his home too see how he lived and met his wife who was a hair dresser who trimmed my hair while we visited. He warned us to be careful of ever showing our money in the street. A safe town but a lot of theft / pick pockets.

We booked a private tour guide on line and for $350.00 we saw more of Rio in one day then you could do in 3 full days of ship tours, plus some of the places we went you could only get down the streets in a small car and even that was difficult.

Just use caution when traveling in S.America and you will be fine.

Does anyone have any experience on the Rio to Buenos Aires cruise? Anything to watch out for? be concerned about?

BGP

Hi Bgp !

I suggest you visit your Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=430 , where you can meet other Cruise Critic Members on your sailing. The Roll Call will likely be the best place to ask questions.

You might wish to visit the South America Ports of Call Forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

May have been mentioned in the other thread, but you will require visas (for sure for Brazil, and I think for Argentina, too. they charge us the same as we charge them---

Although this is not the case if you are a UK passport holder for some reason they do not need to get visas

For USA citizens, no visa required for Argentina, just a "reciprocity fee" or entrance fee of just under $150 per person payable upon arrival in the country that is good for multiple visits over a ten year period.The "purpose" of the fee is because Argentine citizens must pay for a visa to enter the U.S.

• 4 weeks later...
For USA citizens, no visa required for Argentina, just a "reciprocity fee" or entrance fee of just under $150 per person payable upon arrival in the country that is good for multiple visits over a ten year period.The "purpose" of the fee is because Argentine citizens must pay for a visa to enter the U.S.

I believe this entrance fee, normally charged to US cits and cits of other countries that charge Arg cits for a visa, is only payable upon landing at EZE. I don't think cruise passengers need to pay it if they just visit BA on a ship as a port stop ( even if it is the port of disembarkation).

baldercash gives you ecellent advice, I have traveled many times to Rio and visit Argentina at least 2 to 4 times a year. Buenos Aires is a wonderful city to visit, but at night you want to travel by Taxi to and from, same in Rio, like baldercash recommends, use a private venue for your tourist stuff, beats the crowded buses or Vans the Cruise Line provides. If you like I can recommend a private Tour Guide who speaks fluent English for you in B/A. You will find some of the Best Beef in the World in the Rest's in B/a. I know you will love this trip, we did the same trip on Sea Dream II a few years back and will do it again this next year on the Silversea "Cloud"

Good Luck and play it safe, you will enjoy Azamara as well, we did a B to B in March on the Quest in Asia, wonderful crew, wonderful experience.:rolleyes::);):p

Palamoh

Can you give me details of your private guide IN BA. I will be there prior to an Azamara cruise.

Also if you have any contacts for other ports in Brazil other than Rio let me know.

Many thanks

Miriam

Palamoh

Can you give me details of your private guide IN BA. I will be there prior to an Azamara cruise.

Also if you have any contacts for other ports in Brazil other than Rio let me know.

Many thanks

Miriam

I would be interested in good contacts in Buzioa Illhabella, Parati and Punta del Este

Emdee - Her name is Susana Epel E-Mail www.susanaepel.com.ar

Cell 5411 15-4478-5690 or 5411 15-6929-9084.

Susana, will make arrangements at your desire for Pick Up, Airport, Cruise Dock, Hotel Ect

She uses a private vehicle w/driver and can arrange most any tour you want, she can recommend Steak Houses, Tango's local Tours. I recommend the Tour of the Puerto Madero - Palermo & Recoleta Districts, that covers a lot of Buenos Aires. Her fees are very reasonable.:)

Archived