Snorkeling at Coco Cay

dippydoo

Generally, excursions open up for online booking about 90-60 days out....you can do it in advance, or on the ship...and sometimes, you can just walk up on Coco Cay and book it on the spot. All snorkel excursions include the "gear". Or, you can bring your own gear, and just snorkel off the beach without an excursion...your choice.

Generally, excursions open up for online booking about 90-60 days out....you can do it in advance, or on the ship...and sometimes, you can just walk up on Coco Cay and book it on the spot. All snorkel excursions include the "gear". Or, you can bring your own gear, and just snorkel off the beach without an excursion...your choice.

Anyone that does the snorkeling "off the ship" is required to do a mandatory "learning" session. Not sure how long that lasts as we always have our own gear. Also, if you bring your own gear you MUST bring a life jacket of some sort. We have the yellow blow up ones.

You can also reserve online or on the ship. There is really no "sell out" of this, so no reason to book in advance unless you want. We get off the ship first thing and snorkel very early, thus we get to see amazing stuff without a ton of people around. Last time at CocoCay we were in the water before 9 am and saw probably 15 3-4 ft grouper and the big stingray that lives there as well as a ton of different and very colorful fish. Best snorkeling we have ever had at CocoCay

I agree, no reason to book in advance. Price includes equipment. There is lots of equipment. We like to snorkel at the beginning of the day. Water is less cloudy. Snorkeling is great at Coco cay. One of our favorite activities.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree there's no reason to reserve equipment ahead of time. We were off the FOS early and tried to snorkel before 9 and weren't allowed. They do require you to go through a brief (10 minute talk) before going in. I had my own prescription mask and snorkel but rented the vest/fins for $15. My DH and DS were charged the same price for adding a mask.

IMHO, the snorkeling is just fair. Yes, there's an interesting part of a shipwreck, airplane and canon. The lifeguards feed the fish when you're out near their platforms so the fish will come. There's a lot of underwater grass and very little coral and few fish varieties. However, the snorkeling is much better on/off almost any other iCaribbean sland. We did Capt. Allen's 3 Island half day tour this past June and thought that was pretty good. Our best snorkel experience was in Roatan, Honduras.

Bring water shoes if you're not snorkeling b/c the beach has some rocks to it, especially as you enter the water.

Archived