1st Oceania & Alaska Cruise - Rain During Entire Period?

Wannaknow

We are leaving 6/29 on Regatta for 11 nite cruise to Alaska. The advance weather report for all ports indicates "Showers" - not "Scattered Showers." I expected rain, but this really bothers me. We've put so much thought and effort into this trip - it kinda breaks my heart. Any thoughts on how to deal with it?

We are leaving 6/29 on Regatta for 11 nite cruise to Alaska. The advance weather report for all ports indicates "Showers" - not "Scattered Showers." I expected rain, but this really bothers me. We've put so much thought and effort into this trip - it kinda breaks my heart. Any thoughts on how to deal with it?
When we were there it rained a bit every day and not a lot any day.

Keep a positive attitude, whatever the weather. Who says that you can only have fun in the sun?

Refuse to let something as silly as weather effect your trip.

After all, some people adore a Summer Shower! There are many songs written about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSwe17Z1njo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HatwnJH9De4

If there is precipitation, just smile and call it "liquid Sunshine". You won't melt

Yes. Just deal with it!

Same here, we had some showers. It never rained hard enough to cancel anything. Weather is weather, it will do what it wants, especially in Alaska. Believe it or not, in Juneau we had 90 degree weather. My favorite part was the incredible clean air I got to breath in Alaska. It was worth the sprinkles. Enjoy your trip.

There is always Martinis:D

As the Swedes like to say ... there is no bad weather, only bad clothing .... :cool::cool:

I'd check weather forecasts, as well as historical data, to get a sense of what to expect. Then dress accordingly. Don't let this stuff get in the way of cruising to an awesome destination. Alaska is what it is partly because of its weather. Relax and enjoy it.

I appreciate all your comments - they made me feel better, thank you.

Stan and Jim - I loved what you said! Liquid sunshine indeed. I will try to Sing in the Rain:).

Leonid - I am with you - Martinis it is. My favorite!

We are also on this cruise and dismayed by the weather forecasts. If however the weather bureau is anything like ours in Australia then it will be way off the mark.:)

Hopefully we will get some nice, clear days.

Kellie

I love our Aussie cousins, always so positive thinking. Of g course the weather is going to be great and, because you are aboard an Oceania vessel, the smiles on the faces of the crew will make up for the lack of the sun's shining face.

Have a wonderful cruise - next week we join the Marina for a cruise to Norway, Iceland and the UK, leaving the beautiful sunshine of S. California for the beautiful sights of the north European coasts- we have been guaranteed 10 hours of the sunshine a day!! But you know what guarrantees are worth nowadays!!

We got off the Regatta Alaska trip May 26th. Only had sprinkles in Victoria and no other rain until we arrived back in San Francisco - it poured down on our last day - we caught a trolly and got drenched while we were hanging off the side of the trolly - we loved it! What a fun memory to take home with us; so if it rains just enjoy it! You will love Alaska no matter what the weather.

Prepare for it to rain every day, for it may.

Hope that it will not, for there's a good chance you'll get some sun.

Just returned from a 12-night cruise, Vancouver to Anchorage. Our weather was about 1/3 sunny warm days, 1/3 overcast days, 1/3 days with perpetual drizzle. No real downpours. But Alaska is very changeable.

Always have a windbreaker/rainjacket with you, and you should be fine. An umbrella is provided for you in your cabin's closet.

Weather is weather, and we have to live with it -- as has been said.

We just got back from a 3 week road trip from NYC up to the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada. Weather predictions were pretty solidly for rain once we left Massachusetts for Maine. And we did have SOME.

But our day in Perce, Quebec when we hiked out to see the gannets on Ile de Bonaventure was just perfect. As were other days.

Yes, some bad weather, some perfect weather.

Even with the bed weather, scenery was impressive.

It's always the luck of the draw ...

Good luck!

P.S. Our first cruise to Alaska was in June 1990 on Princess and as I recall we had quite good weather. We're doing Alaska in August and the predictions I've seen are for a fair amount of rain ... We'll deal with it if so!

If we do another Alaska cruise, we'll probably target May/June... just in case weather is better in those months as I have heard that it is!

Edited by Mura

Prepare for rain, the good news it that you are traveling during the warm season.

Years ago my brother was stationed with the Coast Guard in Ketchikan and he said it rained over 300 days a year.

It's an incredible part of our country/world. Go prepared no matter what Mother Nature brings your way and have fun!

We've been to Alaska twice, once on inside passage cruise, other time flying to Anchorage and renting a car to visit/hike in Denali and Kenai Fjords. We traveled in late May/June and the first week in September. Both times weather was variable. Can be cold, windy and damp on the ship, and on land. We had some nice clear sunny days up near Denali and the next day the weather turned bitterly cold and windy. Our Misty Fjords plane excursion was cancelled due to fog, not rain. The inside passage is a maritime/rainforest environment, so dress accordingly: Polypropylene tees, tops and socks, a fleece jacket and rain proof shell with hood. Lightweight fleece pants or leggings (100 weight) and perhaps some polypropylene long underwear could come in handy. Short Goretex hikers would be a good choice for the feet: you'll be on both land, sea and possibly walking glaciers. If you plan to walk on ice or snow, or plan to do some kayaking or watersports, you will appreciate footwear that's appropriate and which keeps your feet dry. Many excursion operators will also provide any special clothing for their particular activity, for example, when we did a flight to McKinley base camp, and dogsledding on the Mendenhall, the tour operator provided glacier boots.

For town excursions only, or bus tours, jeans/sneakers fine if you don't plan to get sporty. But bring that rain shell and a sweater or fleece shirt for underneath--

Edited by winegirl

I read this post daily, sometimes twice. DH and I depart on our cruise on

Aug. 14 and find this information very helpful. The OP may have beat me to the punch in asking questions, but please don't assume that only they are interested in the answers. Thank you.

Harriet