Dining reservations: phone or in person better?

reiddg

Greetings,

We're going on our first Princess cruise and first Alaska cruise (Golden, 07/23) and I first want to say that I've gained very valuable insights to my upcoming cruise on this board so thank you to all of the veteran cruisers who have posted for your advice. It's been an immense help in preparing for our cruise.

When we booked, anytime dining was the only thing available, which is fine. I want to make a point to dine at both specialty restaurants and possibly the Chef's Table. My wife's birthday is the Tuesday of the cruise and it's very important that I reserve either Sabbatini's or the Chef's Table on that night. In order to improve my chances of getting the desired restaurant on the desired evening (flexible on time), is it better to make reservations in person, on the dining line, or doesn't it matter?

I'm worried that I may not be able to get the restaurant I want on the evening I want. Is that a valid concern?

From reading the posts, I understand the Chef's Table is understandably harder to get on the desired night but can usually be accommodated on one of the nights. Is that the general consensus?

Any advice is appreciated and thanks again for all of the valuable info.

Greetings,

We're going on our first Princess cruise and first Alaska cruise (Golden, 07/23) and I first want to say that I've gained very valuable insights to my upcoming cruise on this board so thank you to all of the veteran cruisers who have posted for your advice. It's been an immense help in preparing for our cruise.

When we booked, anytime dining was the only thing available, which is fine. I want to make a point to dine at both specialty restaurants and possibly the Chef's Table. My wife's birthday is the Tuesday of the cruise and it's very important that I reserve either Sabbatini's or the Chef's Table on that night. In order to improve my chances of getting the desired restaurant on the desired evening (flexible on time), is it better to make reservations in person, on the dining line, or doesn't it matter?

I'm worried that I may not be able to get the restaurant I want on the evening I want. Is that a valid concern?

From reading the posts, I understand the Chef's Table is understandably harder to get on the desired night but can usually be accommodated on one of the nights. Is that the general consensus?

Any advice is appreciated and thanks again for all of the valuable info.

I presume that you understand that the Chef's Table is only available 2 or 3 times per sailing, so hoping for a "desired" night is tough to do.

Call the DINE line as soon as you get on board to get on the list....and then also book the specialty restaurant for the night you want (you can always cancel if the CHef's Table is that night)

The chef's table is scheduled according to the chef's not your choice. To have a meal on a specific night I would call the dine line. I have never had any problem getting a reservation in either Sabitini's or the Crown Grill as long as I called at least two days in advance and even just checked to see if something was available one evening as we walked by the Crown Grill and basically walked in. The two dining opportunities that are more limited are Chef's Table and the Ultimate Balcony Dinner.

The only thing I would add to the others comments is more info on the Ultimate Balcony Dinner (UBD) for a special meal because there are no guarantees to get the CT particularly on the evening of your choice. If you have a balcony, the $100 per couple dining experience is a good alternative:

• Limited to 2 per evening (generally 6:00 & 8:00); booked only onboard
  • For $50 more than the Crown Grill you get nearly $100 in extras (half bottle of champagne, roses, cocktails & photo); entree is filet and/or lobster with some modifications available
  • We booked for an evening in port to minimize any adverse weather affects; if not good, can be served in cabin
  • Two waiters serve your meal in courses, disappear & bring your next course when you're ready

We found it to be our 2nd most enjoyable dining experience with only the Chef's Table ahead of it. So that's another option if you want to ensure a special meal on a special night...just call DINE upon boarding to reserve it if you want the UBD. :D

I knew the Chef's table was limited seating but not such a limited offering. Making a specialty reservation and cancelling if I get the Chef's Table was something I was considering. UBD sounds like a good option as well.

Thanks for the info.

I knew the Chef's table was limited seating but not such a limited offering. Making a specialty reservation and cancelling if I get the Chef's Table was something I was considering. UBD sounds like a good option as well.

Thanks for the info.

Hope you'll enjoy your 1st Alaskan & 1st Princess cruise and that exchanging info on Cruise Critic will be as useful as it's been for me. Princess provides us with what we desire in a cruise which keeps us coming back to them. As a bonus, their repeat passenger Captain's Circle benefits enhance our cruises even more. We cruise regularly (although on these boards that's a relative term because many of the most helpful posts are from those who spend months each year on Princess) & have never had a bad cruise...just some were a little bit better than others. :p

In talking with many people, I've heard nothing but good things about Princess and about the Alaska cruise. We're very excited and very much looking forward to it.

Thanks

Archived