Birthdays?

goofymom71

Hi!

I am going on a cruise for my bday. actually my bday is a couple days after i get back from my cruise but its my 40th so we are going on a cruise to celebrate. We are staying at a disney resort the day before the cruise. I call Disney and they stayed they dont do the perks for the birthdays anymore. Can anyone confirm this? Did I get misinformed?

I also went back online to try to find the button to register for bithdays but could not find it could anyone help me find this?

thank you

Hi!

I am going on a cruise for my bday. actually my bday is a couple days after i get back from my cruise but its my 40th so we are going on a cruise to celebrate. We are staying at a disney resort the day before the cruise. I call Disney and they stayed they dont do the perks for the birthdays anymore. Can anyone confirm this? Did I get misinformed?

I also went back online to try to find the button to register for bithdays but could not find it could anyone help me find this?

thank you

Just let your servers know that it's a big birthday and they'll set you up.

Hi!

thank you

I'm not sure what type of "perk" you were looking for. You can get a "Birthday Button" when you check in at your resort or from guest services in any of the parks.

Disney never has automatically offered any other celebration incentive. Some people have gotten a birthday card signed by a character in their room, and sometimes at a restaurant they'll put a candle in your dessert, but that's about it and it's never been guaranteed. (On the cruise they will generally bring a small generic birthday cake to your table if you let them know it's a birthday.)

If you want an in-room cake or room decorations or something along those lines, order it in advance and plan on paying for it. They do not, and never have, provided this on a complimentary basis.

The only exception is if you are a concierge/club level guest, in that case they will generally provide a cake delivered to your room--but even then it's never guaranteed.

I'm not sure what type of "perk" you were looking for. You can get a "Birthday Button" when you check in at your resort or from guest services in any of the parks.

Disney never has automatically offered any other celebration incentive. Some people have gotten a birthday card signed by a character in their room, and sometimes at a restaurant they'll put a candle in your dessert, but that's about it and it's never been guaranteed. (On the cruise they will generally bring a small generic birthday cake to your table if you let them know it's a birthday.)

If you want an in-room cake or room decorations or something along those lines, order it in advance and plan on paying for it. They do not, and never have, provided this on a complimentary basis.

The only exception is if you are a concierge/club level guest, in that case they will generally provide a cake delivered to your room--but even then it's never guaranteed.

I was actually just commented on what someone else wrote about getting free park day ticket or a fast past. They use to do the free park ticket on the day of your birthday but they no longer to that as far as i know. I dont need a "perk" but if they offer it and its my bday why not...

I was actually just commented on what someone else wrote about getting free park day ticket or a fast past. They use to do the free park ticket on the day of your birthday but they no longer to that as far as i know. I dont need a "perk" but if they offer it and its my bday why not...

That was a one time promo that only lasted a year and it ran in 2008--or maybe 2009? It's been over and done with for a quite some time now. If you had an AP you could take your choice of a FastPass that was good on every ride for the entire day, or a $75 gift card for merchandise only (no food) in the parks. I still have $40 or so left on mine. :)

The resort theme for the last 18 months was "What are You Celebrating?" part of it was that you registered your celebration "event" like birthday, anniversary, first visit, newleywed etc. on the web site and all of your reservations had the event noted. My wife and I went to Disneyland for our anniversary. We got Anniversary buttons and pretty much every CM and a lot of other guests said happy anniversary. We got the occasional small dessert in some restaurants. At Club 33, we got an awesome dessert plate.

That's ended a couple of months ago. The new theme for the next 18 months will be Making Memories.

Edited by Host Mick

Hi!

thank you

Excellent idea! I just did this on the Dream for my 40th birthday. First, let me just say their is no better way to celebrate a birthday than on a Disney cruise, talk about being young at heart!

Make sure they note you birthday on your DCL reservation, call back and speak to someone else if you have too as they will celebrate your birthday on board!

This is what they did for me....my birthday was actually on the last night of our cruise. And I lucked out and got Animators for that night. At Dinner Crush and the rest of my section hummed me a happy birthday song, the waiters also came over and sung Happy Birthday to me, they brought me a button that said "today is my birthday" and it has DCL on it and I got a small chocolate dessert with Happy Birthday on it. Everyone who saw my button that night acknowledged my birthday just like they do at the parks

Now, if you want to take it a step further for the cruise I would suggest paying for their birthday cabin decorations and join a FE group and let them know you'll be celebrating your birthday onboard. Then you'll also get lots of great little gifts every day of your cruise too. :)

Edited by Mmketeer

• 2 years later...
What is an FE group?

Outside the stateroom door is a message holder. Most of them are shaped like a fish, some are a starfish or sea horse.

33yltv4.jpg

A Fish Extender is a small, pocketed hanger that hangs from the fish.

dpe5fp.jpg

When you join your Roll Call, the Fish Extender gift exchange is a sort of Secret Santa gift exchange that is set up there. People will sign up and then on the cruise you slip little gifts into the other Fish Extenders participating. Typically there is a cut off date that everyone needs to sign up by, in order to allow those participating time to complete their gifts.

NOTE: Not all cruises have Roll Calls, and not all Roll Calls do FEs. If you do a search for "Fish Extenders" you might find other groups that are doing them.

On the ship--either have the birthday noted on your reservation or let your head server know. You will get a birthday dessert at dinner and sometimes a button that says "It's My Birthday" or "I'm Celebrating." These are not always given out. They also are available if you ask at guest services.

You can order (and pay for) a special decorated cake.

In the parks--as noted, the birthday thing was a limited time celebration. We have sometimes gotten a card signed by characters in a WDW restaurant, and once DD got a signed card and balloon in our WDW resort room.

On the ship, they don't care that it isn't really your birthday.

My BF and I are thinking of celebrating out birthdays on DCL, his is the day after mine. Has anyone ordered the in-cabin birthday decorations and the special cakes?

Personal opinion here, but both are a waste. There are tons of cakes all over the ship. You can get cake in any restauant, room service, etc. And, as my daughter is quick to point out, the prettier they are, the worse they taste.

Yes, you can order an uncut cake all for yourselves...and unless you are cruising with 16 of your nearest and dearest friends, it will be stale before you can eat all of it. Still, they are pretty and fun. The decorations are just over-priced. I did our own for my DD's birthday; just remember that tape is not allowed (use magnets).

I ordered a cake for my Dad's 65th birthday on board. It was one of the best desserts on board. I ordered a marble cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and vanilla buttercream icing. Although the cake had been frozen at some point (probably before decorating) and they used a sugar water glaze on the cake layers to "freshen" it, it was one of the better cakes I've had from a comercial or large scale venue (my Dad owned his bakery for 22 years and I was a baker for a year and a half before settling for a more stable job - I've had my fair share of really good cake).

We shared the cake with our 5 table mates (so 8 of us total) and then gave the remainder to our servers (who were appreciative and thanked me the following night letting me know that they enjoyed having the treat). It was well worth the $35.

100_1063_zps9caa8452.jpg