Excursions

sasha6259

:p Hi there, I was wondering how important it is to pre-book tours on the 7 day Tahiti trip. Is it easy enough to book on board or from vendors at the ports. I am finding it hard to choose what to do? Any advise would be appreciated.

I can't comment on booking excursions from the docks--we've always used ship's excursions, although they have gotten very expensive and I see lots of people here booking private, in advance.

But as for the ship's excursions go, best to book in advance if you see something you that you really must do. You can change your mind when you're on board, as long as you cancel before the deadline on the ticket. Everybody has favourites, but if you narrow it down and post, you will get opinions from people who have done them.

Remember that on the Taha'a day, you don't need to book anything--you can spend an entire, glorious day on the motu for free. And in Bora Bora, if you like the beach, you can spend the afternoons on another motu--lovely little beach, great water, beautiful views back to BB.

We have just returned from a 7 night cruise and while we didn't book any ships tours there seemed to be spots available on most of the tours each day. The second day in Bora Bora we booked a tour on the dock which was great. We liked the fact that we could see what the weather was going to be like before committing to too much.

Wish it was me going again!

We arranged for a number of excursions privately but I would not take a chance on just meeting someone at the dock and paying them. You have no way of knowing if the company has good or lousy reviews.

We did not have to prepay for any privately booked excursions and we had private ones on Aitutaki and Bora Bora. On Moorea we spent the day at the Hilton as we had stayed on the island before the cruise and one all other tours by then.

We prebooked a private excursion with Patick before the trip but that was it. When we got on board we booked two excursions without any issues and then second day in Moorea we booked another the evening before. We liked not having to commit until we knew what we'd want to be doing. Our only regret is that we didn't do one of the 4x4 trips in BoraBora.

Our excursions:

Day 1 snorkeling and pearl farm

Day 2 Motu Mahana (not really an excursion)

Day 3 Patricks tour - sharks, rays, snorkeling, Polynesian lunch

Day 5 Sunset Sail

Day 6 tour of Moorea

We also took the tour on the way to the dayroom the last day. The museum was okay, stop at the memorials was ok, made better because it was at a black sand beach and the last stop at the waterfall was very, very nice. Well worth the trip. Our guide was delightful.

We were not disappointed on any of these trips or any other part of our cruise.

Ashryn: Do you remember what Bora Bora tour you booked from the dock? Thanks Gail ;)

Hi Gail

We pre-booked a tour with Patrick's for the first day in Bora Bora, we had such a good time with the water being so wonderful that we decided to see if we could do another excursion the following day. The lady at the dock was very helpful (she was sitting under cover just to the right of where the tender docks). I can't remember the name of the tour but it was a husband and wife team and both were captains (which the tour lady pointed out so there may not be many of them). We needed at least 4 to make up a tour and luckily another couple from the cruise saw us enquiring and joined the tour, we had a great time. We were taken to the sharks, stingrays, coral garden and to a deeper snorkelling area where we saw the biggest moray eel I have ever seen. It was really a wonderful day and we were able to do it at our own pace, we were not rushed at all. Would definitely try to find them again if we ever return to Bora Bora.

I agree with Wendy (like always). We usually do ship's excursions and pre-book only what we absolutely don't want to risk missing. Cancellations are not an issue and usually you have good luck booking once you are on board.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Think we will book a couple of things at least and then as you say wait and see about the weather etc.;)

We have currently joined an excursion with Patrick on Bora Bora,organised by another CC member but we are only four. We are looking for up to 4 more. This is for the cruise leaving 16 July. So if anyone is interested just let us know. Thanks again. Can't wait to go!

Archived