Xmas holiday cruising

Flamin_June

We have just put down our deposit for the Legend, Dec 20th from Dubai to Mumbai. Only my second cruise and our second on the Legend (though my wife had been on a cruise years before and has spent most of our married life trying to convince me how much fun it could be). We did a 7 day Med cruise last August and it was such a splendid affair, the mix of passengers was stimulating, intriguing and invigorating and many of the crew were absolutely charming, so much so that we are both looking forward to seeing some of them again as much as we are to being on the ship once more. My wife has often fantasised about sailing around the coast of Arabia, so we will get to do that at last and the Lakshadeep Islands too!

What I would like to ask you folks is what is it like on a Xmas cruise? Is the boat full of fir trees and tinsel?? Are there gala dinners on Xmas Eve/Xmas Day and New Year's Eve ? Does the captain dress up as Santa Claus (heaven forbid!)? Is the ship likely to be full of regulars who all know one another? We are going on this voyage partly to get away from all the Xmas hype (though I am prepared to accept that, if it has to be, SB will do it with some style and elan).

Do any of you know (and reading through many fascinating posts it seems that some of you have 'inside knowledge') who will be on the crew? has anyone done a similar itinery with SB before ??

My wife has suggested I get a white DJ ( which I think under the circs. will be acceptable), but I don't want to look out of place - on the other hand, if everyone will wearing one perhaps I should go for good old black. My wife (who is white european) has a ceremonial Kandy style sari from one of our many trips to Sri Lanka, would it be acceptable for her to wear that for a formal dress night ? I have a formal sarong but I guess SB relaxed dining dress code won't stretch that far.:D

Many thanks in advance for any tips, hints or comments

Yes, expect lots of trees and tinsel (non-flamable, of course) everywhere--you'll have to bring your own decorations for your suite, however. I have been on two Christmas/New Years cruises, although in the Caribbean, with Seabourn and both were full of holiday spirit. Expect grand dinners on both Eves and days, a service in the main lounge Christmas Eve and a balloon-filled party on Dec. 31. Black and white dress seems to be the dress for New Years' Eve and rather dressy for Christmas Eve. The sari sounds perfect and you might be brave and bring your sarong along, too, just in case. The white dinner jacket is probably appropriate but I'll let the distaff members of the board address that.

The holiday cruises are great fun with lots of comraderie, great food and lots of bubbly. Have a ball, as I did twice!

Winnie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Winnie !

We certainly won't be packing any tinsel or bunting or mince pies for our suite (which, I realise with some satisfaction, will not have a chimney). As I said, we were hoping to get away from all the Christmas hype. Increasingly it has become a marathon of housework, preparation, cooking and washing, constantly busy bathrooms ( I sometimes think our daughter in law must be a secret mermaid, the amount of time she spends showering and bathing - surely the house is not that dirty!!), malfunctioning boilers ( they always seem to 'go' at Easter or Xmas as if they were pre-programmed), preceded by weeks of nauseating advertising and the depressing sight of thousands of people (myself included) buying tawdry plastic junk. Bah, humbug indeed!

Perhaps the Legend will help us rediscover some of the joy and fun to be had. At least December 25th, parked off the coast of Gujarat, holds out the hope of a Santa-less shore day.

I was hoping to hear of some more festive experiences from the regulars here - perhaps the CC crew don't do the holiday season? And the schedule? has anyone any experience of thse Malabar Coast ports?

At any rate, for the first time in years we are actualy looking forward to December....

My family cruised over Christmas and New Years from the time I was 7 until I started college at 18.

I was at a loss how to celebrate Xmas ashore! I cringe every year with the decorating, shopping etc.

The Eves were always more festive than the Days, but both are celebrated with much gusto aboard ship.

Took my wife on a NYE cruise this past year. While not as festive as I remembered, it was great going to the beach while my neighbors were digging out from a blizzard. And because we were in Fort Lauderdale for Xmas, we didn't have to decorate our home.

We even ordered a tree for the cabin, albeit a Charlie Brown type tree. We brought an ornament from home that nearly toppled it over.

The dinner jacket is always appropriate in warm climates.

Enjoy.

We have been on 41 Christmas/New Year cruises the last 9 on Seabourn. (Triplets)

I can assure you will have a wonderful time, no the Captain does not dress up as

Santa Claus.

As the triplets are not equipped to entertain children the few who have

been on board belonged to some of the officers.

We recently were on the 'Quest' and

were told they were employing child minders which must mean they are expecting

to have many children which usually means Christmas parties with Santa and presents.

As Winnie has said passengers do dress up more on this cruise. Usually Christmas Day

is at sea although we have also spent it in Ko Kood on the beach. However where ever

the ship spends the day it will be memorable.

Your itinerary on the 'Legend' we have done 3 times (not at Christmas) and expect to do it again next Easter.

Weather has always been great in that part of the world.

We will be on the 'Pride' this year Singapore/Hong Kong which is our favourite

itinerary.

You have made a very good choice believe me.

Thanks for all your comments, folks - much appreciated.

My wife is taking me out to get a white Tux tomorrow. She thinks I should go for the Humphrey Bogart in 'Casablanca' look (though, if I had a fraction of Bogie's charisma, I would be a lucky guy) - nice of her to think the comparison is viable, though.

Stick with just the white dinner jacket if you want to look like Bogie. I do think they are quite attractive in a warm climate. i do suggest you steer clear of a white tux though, otherwise you might end up being mistaken for a bandleader.:eek:

From Humph to Cab Calloway ! What a catastrophe.

Actually this may be just one of those Americanism vs Englishism type of things,as I thought I was using the term correctly to describe the jacket only, so I looked up Tuxedo in the Oxford English Dictionary:

Pronunciation: /tʌkˈsiːdəʊ/

Forms: Also Tuxedo.

Etymology: < the name of Tuxedo Park, N.Y., where the jacket was first introduced at the country club in 1886.(Show Less)

orig. and chiefly U.S.Thesaurus »

Categories »

1. In full tuxedo coat, tuxedo jacket. A short jacket without tails, for formal wear; a dinner-jacket.

1889 Sartorial Art Jrnl. Aug. 18/1 The low-roll, silk~faced sack, variously called the ‘Cowes’ coat, the ‘Tuxedo’ coat, and the Dress Sack, is undoubtedly popular.

1889 Sartorial Art Jrnl. Dec. 97/1 The ‘Tuxedo’ or dress sack is steadily growing in favor for dress negligee purposes.

1900 G. Ade Fables in Slang 130 A jimmy little Tuxedo.

1925 H. L. Foster Trop. Tramp with Tourists 333 Dress coats and tuxedo jackets were removed.

1931 Times Lit. Suppl. 12 Nov. 888/4 Bert‥is to pose in public as a successful lover,‥in the traditional Tuxedo, with the ribbon of the Garter pinned across his bosom as a Right Honourable.

a1944 K. Douglas Alamein to Zem Zem (1946) vi. 47 Beneath the oil stains their white tuxedos and seductive dresses shone.

1950 J. Vedey Band Leaders p. xiii, The budding maestro must make up his mind whether he will present his band in orthodox tuxedos or in some distinctive style of uniform.

1971 ‘A. Burgess’ MF viii. 93 He was in a white tuxedo with black floppy tie.

However the Cambridge online dictionary has this defintion, but adds that the term can refer also to a jacket and matching trousers.

At the risk of going off-topic here, I wonder , who in this forum uses the term Tux as meaning matching jacket and trousers, and who considers it to just mean the jacket?

The description for men's formal evening wear is confusing - to me as a Brit I would normally say dinner jacket (black) or tropical dinner jacket (white or cream) or white tie and tails (black, and very formal wear, not often seen these days and certainly not on cruises). Other Brits probably disagree - I sometimes put tux on this site, as I thought it meant dinner jacket to Americans - sounds now as though some think it means tails!

We have just put down our deposit for the Legend, Dec 20th from Dubai to Mumbai. Only my second cruise and our second on the Legend (though my wife had been on a cruise years before and has spent most of our married life trying to convince me how much fun it could be). We did a 7 day Med cruise last August and it was such a splendid affair, the mix of passengers was stimulating, intriguing and invigorating and many of the crew were absolutely charming, so much so that we are both looking forward to seeing some of them again as much as we are to being on the ship once more. My wife has often fantasised about sailing around the coast of Arabia, so we will get to do that at last and the Lakshadeep Islands too!

What I would like to ask you folks is what is it like on a Xmas cruise? Is the boat full of fir trees and tinsel?? Are there gala dinners on Xmas Eve/Xmas Day and New Year's Eve ? Does the captain dress up as Santa Claus (heaven forbid!)? Is the ship likely to be full of regulars who all know one another? We are going on this voyage partly to get away from all the Xmas hype (though I am prepared to accept that, if it has to be, SB will do it with some style and elan).

Do any of you know (and reading through many fascinating posts it seems that some of you have 'inside knowledge') who will be on the crew? has anyone done a similar itinery with SB before ??

My wife has suggested I get a white DJ ( which I think under the circs. will be acceptable), but I don't want to look out of place - on the other hand, if everyone will wearing one perhaps I should go for good old black. My wife (who is white european) has a ceremonial Kandy style sari from one of our many trips to Sri Lanka, would it be acceptable for her to wear that for a formal dress night ? I have a formal sarong but I guess SB relaxed dining dress code won't stretch that far.:D

Many thanks in advance for any tips, hints or comments

Hey we have just booked this cruise ourselves and the following on Jan 3, 2012 on the Legend for a back to back!

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on taking the holiday cruise on the Odyssey this year, and I would like to get gifts for the crew. This would be limited to those we have close interaction with, such as our stewardess, waiters (not sure how this works on Seabourn, do you get the same people each day?), and perhaps MD. Basically, the people you would tip on a tipping cruise line.

We were thinking basically some cash in a nice (secular) holiday card. Is there a customary gift for this? Anything you have used before and recommend? Something that packs neatly is of course ideal.

Do we risk offending non-Christian crew by giving a gift on Christmas?

Thanks.

Since all the crew work very hard to make our cruise so enjoyable, I suggest a donation to the Crew Welfare Fund (done at the Pursers' Office and put on your account) and a lovely card, with your personal thanks. Perhaps a card that celebrates the New Year?

I think a small trinket for your stewardess on Christmas Eve might be in order with a 'tip' at the end of the cruise. It is certainly not a 'given' to have the same waitstaff each time since it's open seating.

You will have a lovely time, I am sure! I was on the Legend the same dates last year.

We gave our stewardess a little envelope last year, but then we always tip room boys and maids as a matter of course - they often get overlooked.

It's a great idea, and thanks for the heads up, to bring some gifts, and I was not aware of the staff welfare fund. The whole tipping thing can become an oppresive and obsessive nightmare, so it is a pleasant relief to be in an environment where it is not expected. However, as a wise old bird once said to me "You can't buy loyalty, or friendship, but you can reward good service".

btw: got the white DJ, black bow tie, and cummerband, new dress shirt and satin striped trousers last week, picking them up tomorrow after alterations. There was some discussion about a burgundy bow tie and cummerband, could still get one as a back-up - what do the cognoscenti think ?

Also, should there be a (white) folded handkerchief in the jacket breast-pocket ? Bogie sports one in stills from the film....

Make a note to pack a 'Seasons Greeting' card ~sign and give it to the Crew Purser if donating to the Crew Fund. The card will be posted down in the Crew Mess Hall. (on their bullentin board)

Another idea~~ I've bought flowers at different port markets, upon arrival back at the ship I've contacted the Assn. Ex. Housekeeper ( the ship florist) for a large vase. I arrange the fresh flowers, add a thank you card and send the arrangement to the Crew Mess Hall. The staff/crew appreciate having pretty flowers on their dining table as they rarely receive flowers. The arrangement thanks all crew members ~~ I also make "the Bridge Boy's" a pretty arrangement ~~send it up ~!~ a nice, cheerful touch by their coffee pot:D

Enjoy your festive holiday voyage ~~the Christmas/New Year's Seabourn sailings have been my favorites!

Martita B.

My wife is a dedicated gardener, loves flowers and enjoys making arrangements: I bought a whole bunch in port so we could have an arrangement in our suite - didn't know there was a ship's florist !

Caught a lot of flack from other husbands, who complained that their wives spotted me returning and then sent them out with orders to obtain flowers !!!

I loveeee pretty flower arrangements in my suite so usually hit the flower markets in port ~ I take corsage pins and each morning when the night Bell Captain brings my coffee tray I pin a boutonniere on his lapel ~~ if I forget.....he reminds me!:D

Yes, the Assn. Ex. Housekeeper is the florist ~she has flower snippers if your wife needs to borrow them ~also she can bring extra vases.

During the holiday cruises taking inexpensive (Dollar General)Santa hats to Crew Members is also a thoughtful remembrance.

MB

I appreciate your helpful replies, Jane, June, and Martita!

After seeing your recommendation in both this thread and several others, I am definitely going to be making a donation to the crew welfare fund. I think it will actually be 2 donations, one intended to be a holiday gift given on Christmas, and a separate one at the end of the cruise (which I would have done regardless of the holidays), given in lieu of a general tip to satisfy my North American guilt. ;) As you recommend, I will include a note on a seasons greeting card for the former and a thank-you card for the latter.

I think I'd still like to give an inexpensive but more personal gift to at least our stewardess. Not having the same waitstaff for each meal complicates this for the dining room, of course. Flowers are a spectacular idea, but as an unkempt male lacking an eye for the aesthetic, I may wimp out and either have the wife(!) handle that bit, or just bring some nice Christmas chocolates or sweets. The Santa hats are a unique and entertaining idea too! But, I wouldn't want anyone to feel an obligation to wear it, so I might shy away from that one.

Very excited already, even though it's still months away.

Thanks again for your kind assistance!

>" But, I wouldn't want anyone to feel an obligation to wear it, so I might shy away from that one."

I have found that headgear is very popular, with stewardesses and bar staff particularly. Also, you can find reindeer antlers or angel halos. If you go to orientaltrading.com you can find some cute flashing holiday pins, easy to pack and fun to wear.

During the Dec. holidays we passengers, I feel, are the Crew's family. One reason I go all out as to taking small gifts to Staff/Crew members. They love the Santa hats ~including the Captain and Staff Captain!:D My Christmas flashing light pins are inexpensive (www.flashingblinkylights.com) and take up little room in my luggage.

One Christmas I took a small Christmas tree and all the trimmings ~plus the battery twinkling lights for the tree. At the Sky Bar one morning we all decorated the tree ~signed the thank you card and I took the tree to the Assn. Houskeeper. She placed it in the Crew Mess Hall ~They loved the decorated, lighted tree ~

The Crew during Dec. are extra busy and are permitted 'lit time ashore to shop for holiday items ~perhaps this is one reason they enjoy receiving festive gifts.

Have a great weekend:p

Martita B.

Archived