Feedom of the Seas stateroom questions

I'm planning on taking a cruise on FoS in the future (way out in October 2012!) While I don't have to make any specific set in stone commitments right now, I need to get an idea of what type of accommodations I would want.

My minium requirement is a cabin with an outside (to the ocean) balcony. I see that the ship has "Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms" and "Superior Oceanview Staterooms". Looking at the descriptions and pictures, they seem to be very similar. It seems the "Superior" is slightly larger in the interior. is it just a touch longer? Wider? Is there really any difference in the room configuration?

I would also consider a suite. I know they have the "junior suite", but that doesn't seem to have any real suite perks, so If I did a suite, I would want one with the perks. I suppose the "Grand Suite" would be a good choice? I'm not really looking to stuff a bunch of people into a single stateroom, the family suites with two bedrooms aren't all that appealing.

TIA..

I'll be back with more questions later once I get some responses on the quetions above.

there's a 14 sq. ft. difference between a D and E catagory...the D being the "superior"....

A JS is much roomier...more like a hotel room. True, you don't get the "suite" perks, but you aren't paying a "suite" price, either! I wouldn't put more than 2 adults in ANY of those catagories, tho.

If you have kids, I'd either get 2 cabins or a GS will do. You will get the use of the concierge lounge with a GS and above...but that won't benefit kids....basically the suite price will include some cocktails for about 2 hours around dinnertime each day....that's really the only "monetary" perk that the suites give you.

no kids.. I'm going with a "large" group of friends. I'll have a cabinmate, though. But like you, I think two people is the max for any cabin that has two beds. IMHO, pull out sofa beds, pullmen beds, etc. don't count as beds for adults.

Since the cruise is with a group of friends, as opposed to a cruise with just a single companion/friend, I may spend a little less time in my cabin. But I *do* still need some "private space". And I want that to be comfortable.

based on my one previous cruise (Norwegian Star), I found their balcony stateroom to be plenty comfortable for two. Not just for sleeping, but for also hanging out, waiting for the other person to get dressed for dinner, etc. I think a balcony cabin on FoS would be euqally comfortable. But the travel snob in me (yes, I admit it. I can be a snob) is intrigued by the suite perks.

there's a 14 sq. ft. difference between a D and E catagory...the D being the "superior"....

A JS is much roomier...more like a hotel room. True, you don't get the "suite" perks, but you aren't paying a "suite" price, either! I wouldn't put more than 2 adults in ANY of those catagories, tho.

If you have kids, I'd either get 2 cabins or a GS will do. You will get the use of the concierge lounge with a GS and above...but that won't benefit kids....basically the suite price will include some cocktails for about 2 hours around dinnertime each day....that's really the only "monetary" perk that the suites give you.

But, an "E" has a bigger balcony by 6 square feet. The "D" has a room that is 14 square feet bigger as stated above. It was a hard choice for me, too. I ended up with an "E" cabin on the middle of the hump so I am excited.

Another question re: the balcony cabins.

Do they all have the same arrangement? From the photos and diagrams I have seen on the RCI website, it appears that the bed area is closest to the balcony, with the seating area being between the bed and the entry door and bathroom.. Are they all like this?

On the NCL Star, it was reversed. Seating area nearest the blacony area and the bed area between the seating areea and entry door and bathroom.

Not really sure if one is "better". It's just different. I was mostly curious.

Archived