Turn around day on the Oasis/Allure - amazing

Watched a TV show on the Oasis of the Seas last night. The focus was not so much this fantastic ship as it was on the turn around process in Fort Lauderdale. It featured folks both onboard the ship and shore side. Head of housekeeping, head of guest services aboard and his counterpart ashore, head chef, and the guy on the pier (can't remember his title) that keeps it all going (traffic, baggage, etc.).

I found the show fascinating not only for the amazing job the crew and shore side personnel did in 12 hours to disembark 6,000 guests, then turn right around and embark 6,000 more, but also for the study in human personalities (of cruisers) that it provided.

One doesn't realize the lengths the cruise line goes to ensure a smooth embarkation (and I assume most all do), unless one has a problem. There were a number of problems with identifications (i.e., passports, parental letters, etc.). The shore side supervisor and her staff continuously helped these folks. A gal who got married that day, had booked in her married name but her passport was in her pre-marriage name (worked out by having a copy of the marriage license fax'd), a couple of folks traveling with kiddies who weren't with both parents (fax'd permission from the absent parent), etc. This staff did everything possible to help and it worked in most cases, but as the ass't supervisor said, "If it isn't fixed by 4p.m. (1 hour before sailing), their cruise won't happen".

Then there are people who just don't plan ahead. One lady had packed her passports in her luggage PRIOR to checking IN. This was fixed by luggage handlers on shore, looking for her luggage (not an easy task, considering the amount of luggage going onboard). . .and, they were successful.

Then the people who just don't use their heads. On the previous sailing, a couple had missed the boat at its' last port of call and had to fly back to Florida to meet the ship to get their luggage. To compound this, the wife had about $15,000 worth of jewelry in their safe. These "folks" and their jewelry were reunited . . . . . . but I could see the outcry if that hadn't happened.

The people who don't believe they have to leave the ship on time. This caused a delay of about 15 minutes embarking the new passengers . . . and is probably a reason one doesn't think about when boarding is delayed. (To compound this delay, rough weather caused a problem with the walkway placement and a further delay ensued.

I have to be upfront and say that I am not a fan of this behemoth and cannot foresee a cruise on either her or the Allure . . . . . . in fact a guest interviewed on the program hit my reason on the head when he said something to the effect that "it looses the feeling of being on a cruise". Having said that, after watching this program, I have nothing but kudo's for the crew (aboard and ashore) who make the turnover process seem so smooth to we cruising folk each and every week.

To the OP -- what network (cable or over the air) did this show air on. Also, what was the title of the program, if you remember.

When I get home from work tonight, I want to see if it'll be repeated, as I'd like to record & watch it at some point.

Thanks

Michael

Watched a TV show on the Oasis of the Seas last night. The focus was not so much this fantastic ship as it was on the turn around process in Fort Lauderdale. It featured folks both onboard the ship and shore side. Head of housekeeping, head of guest services aboard and his counterpart ashore, head chef, and the guy on the pier (can't remember his title) that keeps it all going (traffic, baggage, etc.).

I found the show fascinating not only for the amazing job the crew and shore side personnel did in 12 hours to disembark 6,000 guests, then turn right around and embark 6,000 more, but also for the study in human personalities (of cruisers) that it provided.

One doesn't realize the lengths the cruise line goes to ensure a smooth embarkation (and I assume most all do), unless one has a problem. There were a number of problems with identifications (i.e., passports, parental letters, etc.). The shore side supervisor and her staff continuously helped these folks. A gal who got married that day, had booked in her married name but her passport was in her pre-marriage name (worked out by having a copy of the marriage license fax'd), a couple of folks traveling with kiddies who weren't with both parents (fax'd permission from the absent parent), etc. This staff did everything possible to help and it worked in most cases, but as the ass't supervisor said, "If it isn't fixed by 4p.m. (1 hour before sailing), their cruise won't happen".

Then there are people who just don't plan ahead. One lady had packed her passports in her luggage PRIOR to checking IN. This was fixed by luggage handlers on shore, looking for her luggage (not an easy task, considering the amount of luggage going onboard). . .and, they were successful.

Then the people who just don't use their heads. On the previous sailing, a couple had missed the boat at its' last port of call and had to fly back to Florida to meet the ship to get their luggage. To compound this, the wife had about $15,000 worth of jewelry in their safe. These "folks" and their jewelry were reunited . . . . . . but I could see the outcry if that hadn't happened.

The people who don't believe they have to leave the ship on time. This caused a delay of about 15 minutes embarking the new passengers . . . and is probably a reason one doesn't think about when boarding is delayed. (To compound this delay, rough weather caused a problem with the walkway placement and a further delay ensued.

I have to be upfront and say that I am not a fan of this behemoth and cannot foresee a cruise on either her or the Allure . . . . . . in fact a guest interviewed on the program hit my reason on the head when he said something to the effect that "it looses the feeling of being on a cruise". Having said that, after watching this program, I have nothing but kudo's for the crew (aboard and ashore) who make the turnover process seem so smooth to we cruising folk each and every week.

I saw this show on the original airing date in October and I went on the Oasis in May. I cannot tell you how wrong you are by saying you lose the feeling of a cruise. The feeling of a ship is lost, but the feeling of a getaway and vacation is enforced by the amazing attractions these ships have to offer. The Oasis was our first cruise and my dad absolutely loved it, while he thought he was gonna strongly dislike it prior to being onboard. It's the most AMAZING experience and vacation you will ever have! When they said that you lose the feeling of a ship, it is because the ship has sooo many options and venues and amenities and attractions and the ship is astonishing and an engendering marvel from end to end. If you can afford to take a cruise on the Oasis, please, please don't pass up this opportunity. It might have been our first cruise but I have years of research under my sleeve and the Oasis is a truly amazing ship. She won't disappoint! I promise! We loved this vacation so much, we're booked on the Allure and honestly we're counting down second by second. If you have the chance, don't miss this amazing opportunity! It's an unforgettable experience.

Dear Hubbie was nice enough to record it for me last night. I am watching it now!

Nancy

Please anyone ... the formal name of the show, and the channel that it was broadcast on? We'd love to record it and watch at some point...

Michael and Silke

Please anyone ... the formal name of the show, and the channel that it was broadcast on? We'd love to record it and watch at some point...

Michael and Silke

When I saw it like a year ago, the name was "Extreme Cruise Ship" the channel number on Dish Network is 183 it's the TLC Channel

It's called Extreme Cruise Ship and it was shown on Planet Green last night.

Cruisingator:

Thanks. I couldn't remember the title of the program, but did remember that it was on Planet Green last night.

MikeNJ1109 - sorry for not getting back to you quicker. I was off the computer for a couple of hours and tried to see if Planet Green had it scheduled in the near future . . . . . couldn't find that.

I cannot tell you how wrong you are by saying you lose the feeling of a cruise. The feeling of a ship is lost, but the feeling of a getaway and vacation is enforced by the amazing attractions these ships have to offer.

Pichu96, actually I was quoting what a passenger on the ship had said and relating it to my own thoughts. But you have reinforced my thoughts even more. When I cruise (about 25 now + many years on Navy ships), I want the "feeling" of being on a ship at sea and not a huge, wonderful, hotel. Although I do avail myself of the "attractions" offered on different ships, this is not "my" reason for cruising. If "attractions" were my priority, perhaps these ships would be on my radar, but then, so would Disney World.

My daughter and I had pretty much the same conversation this evening while talking about the show and the Oasis . . . . . she agrees with you and wants her next cruise to be aboard one of these two behemoths. I know she will truly enjoy it when she goes. I would not.

It will be on National Geographic Channel again on June 30th at 9pm.

justluv2cruisewithhubby - according to the other thread, the Nat Geo show will be the one regarding the construction of the Oasis . . . . it is NOT the same program.

Pichu96, actually I was quoting what a passenger on the ship had said and relating it to my own thoughts. But you have reinforced my thoughts even more. When I cruise (about 25 now + many years on Navy ships), I want the "feeling" of being on a ship at sea and not a huge, wonderful, hotel. Although I do avail myself of the "attractions" offered on different ships, this is not "my" reason for cruising. If "attractions" were my priority, perhaps these ships would be on my radar, but then, so would Disney World.

My daughter and I had pretty much the same conversation this evening while talking about the show and the Oasis . . . . . she agrees with you and wants her next cruise to be aboard one of these two behemoths. I know she will truly enjoy it when she goes. I would not.

Just saying, if you have a chance to go on the Allure, take it. Just take a chance and I promise it will be a hit hands down.

When we cruised on Oasis we recognized and spoke to one of the dock-side RCCL employees seen in that show. She was a bit embarrassed (but enjoying) her unexpected stardom. Quite funny.

One of my family members saw the Guest Services manager that was on the show too!!

It will be on National Geographic Channel again on June 30th at 9pm.

According to my channel/show guide it's called "World's Largest Cruise Ship," but in the information it says Freedom of the Seas. This may just be an error because the documentary was filmed in 2009. I have it scheduled to record regardless.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all! While looking at my channel guide, I've found a few shows about the Oasis of the Seas coming on TV soon:

Big, Bigger, Biggest

Tuesday, July 12th, 2011 at 10:00AM

Science Channel (ch 132, Comcast)

The engineering behind OTS cruise liner.

Extreme Cruise Ship

Monday, July 18th, 2011 at 10:00PM

Tuesday, July 19th, 2011 at 1:00AM

Planet Green Channel (ch 253, Comcast)

The largest passenger ship in the world; Royal Caribbean's OTS.

The channels and times are in Atlanta (Eastern time). Please check your local listings for available showings. :)

My two cents: it still feels like a boat, even rocks a little bit, and has a quiet engine hum and salty ocean air. But, when you go up to the top deck, you can easily feel that you are on the biggest, baddest, most over-the-top cruise ship that ever existed. i guess im biased towards it because the oasis was the reason why i started cruising at all- living in the caribbean (and loving it here) the ship itself is the destination, and the ports are just for a little extra fun. :)

We were on the Allure two weeks ago and have plans to go again in November. Cruised before but this was an incredible experience! The ship is incredible and the you should def try it before you blow it off!

Just got off the Allure yesterday. Great ship!! Too much to do in a week's time. Have to go back again in the future.

To me it still feels like a cruise ship, but with more bells and whistles!

They did an incredible job with these ships! You have to give them a chance before you blow them off. It will definitely be worth it for you!

Archived