Looking for good cafe/restuarant in Istanbul

Tudorcruisers

Wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for somewhere reasonable to eat in Istanbul. We are going to meet friends who are going to be getting on the ship we just leave and would be super to know of a good restaurant someoone has tried. We are staying in Istanbul Hilton if that is any help or someswhere near to the ship docking area would also be fine. Many thanks.

Wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for somewhere reasonable to eat in Istanbul. We are going to meet friends who are going to be getting on the ship we just leave and would be super to know of a good restaurant someoone has tried. We are staying in Istanbul Hilton if that is any help or someswhere near to the ship docking area would also be fine. Many thanks.

I've got nothing near the dock...but here are my favorites:

http://www.puddingshop.com/Pudding_Shopx.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudding_Shop

I've eaten here a couple of times...Our guide took us here in 2006 and we went back on our own in 2009...It is a hole-in-the-wall, straight out of my memories of the 60s...But I think every time I go back to Istanbul, something will drag me back here...

Last visit, we were walking around the Sultanahmet district and settled on a place called "Family Cafe & Restaurant"...Address: AKBIYIK CAD. NO 42/A SULTANAHMET

Their slogan was the draw for us...We just had to eat there...I just did a google search and some website found it funny as well...because they put the business card on the web:

engrish-funny-she-cook.jpg?w=500&h=326

The food was actually pretty good as well...We had an outdoor table and a pretty nice dinner there with some of our shipmates also staying in the area post-cruise...

Okay, both of those are over in the Sultanahmet District...Center of town...and not necessarily convenient to the docks or your hotel...

This one is pretty nice...near the Spice Bazaar and the Ferry Docks...We had a nice view from our table...This one is less of a hole-in-the-wall and more of a "nice" restaurant...Also was recommended by our hotel...

Hamdi Restautrant:

http://www.hamdi.com.tr/

Maybe better suited for your purposes...

Good luck...

We never actually had "dinner" in Istanbul. The cafe's are great. You will see them cooking & displaying the food in the windows. Just go in & point to what looks good. Sometimes the cook/server can speak English & tell you if it is lamb, pork, beef or chicken. We did this everyday at different places, & it was always good, fresh & cheap. Can't wait to go back. We really loved Istanbul & went freely on the streetcars everywhere. You really don't need a tour if you are travelers. The people are really friendly & love to practice their English on you. A smile takes you a long way.

Rick Steves' has just put out a book Mediterranean Cruise Ports and he has lots of money saving tips, including places to eat. (He also ends each chapter with direction on how to rejoin your cruise if you miss the boat in port...). EM

Archived