is velvet ok in the carribean

kellig

I have a burgondy velvet coctail dress that I would love to wear for the formal nights, but I don't know if it is a total faux paux to wear velvet in a hot climate. It is knee length, and sleeveless, and therefore often difficult to wear in cold weather as well.

Kellig,

Personally, I think that velvet is a winter fabric, especially when it's in a traditional winter color. So, my answer would be "No", burgundy velvet is not a good choice for a tropical climate.

However, I can already tell you that this same question was asked recently and the responses were a mix of yes's and no's, hence, in this situation, the board opinion will be of no use to you.

Since you're asking the question, you obviously have doubts about it wearing it. So you should do what *you* feel is appropriate since you will not get any definitive answers from the people here.

Jane

I can always tell when someone is new to this board-this has been rehashed and rehashed on this board.

Jane and I got a little heated about this in a past post. So lets just say everyone has opinions and leave it at that. Do a search if you want to know what I am talking about.

I always felt velvet was a "winter" fabric. Many feel it is a "holiday" fabric and so shoulf only be worn between Thanksgiving and New Years. I suppose this is some of those old rules we were taught like no white after labor day and before Memorial day. No one follows those rules anymore.

I have seen plenty of velvet even on my southern caribbian cruise in Sept. 2000 besides my other carb. cruises. The others though were in Nov. and Dec where I saw lots of velvet.

So it seems to me it is acceptable by most-I much prefer seeing someone decked out in velvet to the person who sneaks into dinner on formal night in their cotton capris and tropical top myself. I hate that-no one has to dress up like Hollywood glamor if they don't want to on formal night-a skirt or nice pantsuit would be okay. I just can't understand why some people go to such an extreme of underdressing on formal night.

I will say this I have a teal velvet formal dress and jacket that I had planned to wear on my Oct. 05 cruise that goes to St. thomas and St. Marten. But after reading Jane's posts I decided against it. Instead I am wearing a champagne colored satin gown one night and a multi colored sequinned halter top with a black formal skirt the second night.

I was afraid my teal dress would be a little wintery. Now Jane has not completely won me over-because if I was taking that cruise in Dec. I would have still worn my teal dress.

Personally I don't think velvet, and especially a dark color, is appropriate except in winter. And in a tropical climate, no. But that is my opinion.

Like another poster said, I would rather see someone in velvet than in casual clothes for formal nights.

We're taking a Baltics/Russia cruise in late May. I have a gorgeous shawl-type jacket (very unstructured) that I wear over a black sleeveless dress. The shawl/jacket has a patchwork of cut-velvet or "burn-out" velvet (not solid velvet) squares with jewel colors and elaborate beading and fringe/tassels at the hem. I was hoping to take and wear this, as I think it looks sort of "Russian." I also understand it can be a little chilly at night on the Baltic, and this would keep me warm!

Any thoughts on appropriateness?

I am going to add my 2 cents too.

After reading many threads about this subject, Jane has changed my mind too only about when to wear velvet. I have a long black velvet gown that I plan for my next cruise but it is in November and over Thanksgiving which I still think is an appropriate time of the year to wear it.

BUT, I would rather see someone dressed up in a nice velvet gown than too casual for formal night. If its what you have, wear it.

If you love the dress, then wear it. We sailed last month and formal night was a sea of black dresses and many velvet. If I see someone wearing velvet, I don't even think about it. Who cares! Please yourself, not others.

Who cares what others think about what you wear? Are you going to see many if any of these people ever again? Wear what you are comfortable in. I am so tired of others telling me what to wear or not to wear. I am going to be comfortable with what I wear, like it or not by others. To me if somebody has time to worry about what I am wearing (or not) then they either are very lonely with nothing better to do, very petty with nothing better to do, or have their noses stuck so high up in the air that I wouldn't care WHAT they thought anyway because even the air around them displeases them. Do what you want and don't give a rats A**!

dreaminkel, Just as the question of velvet and what time of year has been asked many times, so has your question. If you do not care what you or anyone else is wearing, why in the world would you visit a message board called "fashion"? The person came to ask a specific question, she was not answered in a rude or condescendiing manner, people have given their opinions.

If you want to wear a potato sack, I really don't care and it won't ruin my good times. But, if you don't care to discuss fashion or beauty, you should probably stick to what interests you. If you have a question regarding hair, fashion or beauty (makeup, perfumes shoes etc.) hang around, sometimes we can have fun here. Everyone is welcome as long as they watch their manners.

dreaminkle, people pay me to tell them what to wear and to pick out their clothes so I sort of take offense to your post. I am a professional in the business so to me it certainly isn't petty.

kellig, velvet is traditionally a winter fabric as is wool. Would you wear a wool cocktail dress in the Caribbean? Maybe that puts it in better perspective for you. I'm not telling you not to wear the dress just the appropriateness of the fabric.

Cruisers come from all walks of life, some women from Los Angeles to New York where fashion is trendy and others from Kentucky or Mobile Alabama or other Farming Areas where Formal dresses are not worn as much.

Point is, Some people dont have the Formal type clothing, and dont have a reason to own them, so instead of buying another $300.00+ dress to only wear for 2 nights out of the year, wear what you have if you like it.

The last Cruise on the Spirit, on Formal nights the Ladys looked very nice but mostly all of them were freezing their butts off and most were sick the next day. This is the reason I like the Velvet Dress idea.

One last thing, I think the Velvet dress would look Awesome in those Formal pictures, Pictures dont say what time of the year it is.

Then again Im just a guy, what do I know right

I have a burgundy velvet cocktail dress that I would love to wear for the formal nights, but I don't know if it is a total faux paux to wear velvet in a hot climate. It is knee length, and sleeveless, and therefore often difficult to wear in cold weather as well.

Yes it is, don't wear it. Save the velvet for Christmas, New Years and even Valentines in the States. When wearing sleeveless formal wear (velvet) in the winter try to find a heavy shawl.

Wenfred,

Sorry, but I have to disagree with most of your points:

>>>>>>>> Some people dont have the Formal type clothing, and dont have a reason to own them, so instead of buying another $300.00+ dress to only wear for 2 nights out of the year, wear what you have if you like it.<<<<<<

Kellig didn't say she didn't have any other choices in her closet. Additionally, the women on this board are always boasting about the beautiful evening wear they buy for under $50.00.

So, I have to disagree with your assumptions that 1. Kellig doesn't have any other choices, 2. Kellig can't afford to buy another dress if there isn't one in her closet already. 3. That she would only wear it twice a year.

I *do* agree that she should wear what she wants. However, she came in here asking for opinions about wearing velvet in the carribbean and that's what we've been givng her. What else might be in her closet or in her budget to buy is an unknown entity.

******The last Cruise on the Spirit, on Formal nights the Ladys looked very nice but mostly all of them were freezing their butts off and most were sick the next day. This is the reason I like the Velvet Dress idea.********

So I guess women should wear velvet turtleneck dresses with long sleeves and boots to protect themselves from freezing and illness? :)

Jane

Wenfred, I can guarantee you 99.9% of women either have several formals in their closet or have sisters/girlfriends/relatives they can borrow 20 dresses from.

Just going through your twenties forces you to purchase numerous taffetta horrors in the name of 'friendship' called Being A Bridesmaide. These dresses never get reworn but do eventually get thrown out or given away to someone you dislike.

No one pays $300 for a formal. A great suit maybe but not a dress we know we'll never wear more than twice unless we get married in the dress.

People don't get sick from being cold.:p

We're taking a Baltics/Russia cruise in late May. I have a gorgeous shawl-type jacket (very unstructured) that I wear over a black sleeveless dress. The shawl/jacket has a patchwork of cut-velvet or "burn-out" velvet (not solid velvet) squares with jewel colors and elaborate beading and fringe/tassels at the hem. I was hoping to take and wear this, as I think it looks sort of "Russian." I also understand it can be a little chilly at night on the Baltic, and this would keep me warm!

Any thoughts on appropriateness?

Isn't that an area where it is cooler even in the summer? We took a cruise to Alaska 4 years ago in May and we saw plenty of velvet. So I think you will be approiate.

I think we gals make too much of this velvet thing.

I really feel anything goes nowadays and no one applies the old rules. As I said in previous posts-look how MANY are dressing on formal nights. (or not dressing)

As I said it is like that stupid "white after labor day" rule-Many keep posting and asking if they can still wear white in the caribbean in the winter. That is so silly to me- as the average temp is 85-90 in those places like YEAR ROUND. Especially in the southern carb. it is getting close to the equator and if you remember geography-below the equator the seasons are reversed and those living close to the equator whether above or below it the temps are the same year round-they basially only have "summer".(Heck even Cozumel and Grand Cayman Dec. temps average around 85 which is not in the southern carb.)

So what it comes down to is COMFORT gals. Boy did I learn the meaning of that when I started in menopause. No acrilyics for me in winter. I wore sweathers of cotton and silk blends and occasionially on a REALLY COLD DAY-I might would wear one with some wool in it. When summer comes no polyester for me-everything is cotton and silk. Even linen does not breathe enough for me. Unfortunately this means I iron alot but this is how I dress now.

On ship the dinningrooms are kept cool. Even I usually am wearing some sort of sweather, jacket or wrap. So you would probally be okay in velvet.

One other thing is the line you are going on-like I said when I was on Carnival Fascination in 2000-southern carb. I saw a good bit of velvet. Two years later in early Oct. I was on Pacific Princess on a Bermuda cruise. Temps were like 20 degrees cooler. (instead of highs of 95-the highs were like 75-80) I wore a velvet skirt with a sequinned top one night and a satin top with the same skirt another night. I did not see as much velvet on that cruise. Now I did not feel "out of place" because I did still see velvet-but it seemed to me I saw more on Carnival.

Jane-you have a right to your opinion and you do know a lot about fashion but you need to realize we are all different- we come from all over the US and some even from other countries-and we all are not going to agree with you. We still like you- we enjoy your posts-don't take it so personal.

So gals maybe we need to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

People don't get sick from being cold.:p

Could you tell my roommate this? It's been about 40 or so here lately and I haven't been wearing a coat (Hasn't seemed cold to me!), just a hooded sweatshirt usually. She always asks why I'm not wearing a coat and tells me not to complain if I get sick!!

Jane-you have a right to your opinion and you do know a lot about fashion but you need to realize we are all different- we come from all over the US and some even from other countries-and we all are not going to agree with you. We still like you- we enjoy your posts-don't take it so personal.

I agree! There are probably things that we wear here that people from other places probably cringe at. But you can't dress to please everyone, just yourself and those you care about.

I say, wear the velvet if you want to. If somebody makes a deal about it on the ship, they should have better things to do.

I have a burgondy velvet coctail dress that I would love to wear for the formal nights, but I don't know if it is a total faux paux to wear velvet in a hot climate. It is knee length, and sleeveless, and therefore often difficult to wear in cold weather as well.

Now you know what the so-called experts say about wearing velvet in a hot climate. The question is, do you really care if certain people feel it is a "total faux paux"? If I had a sleeveless, knee length dress that I would "love to wear for the formal nights", I couldn't give a rat's patootie if the fashion police were looking at me and wagging their fingers and tongues or not. I don't really have that much respect for their directives. And if the fashionistas have nothing better to do on their cruise than worry about what I'm wearing and making mental notes that I'm "breaking some unwritten rule", I'd really feel sort of sorry for them. That's rather pitiful. But you asked if you would be breaking some rule, and now you know.

Life is too short to worry about other peoples' hangups. It's your dress, your cruise, and most certainly, your call. Enjoy your trip ;)

I'd rather be wearing a heavier dress in a cold dining room, than a sleeveless dress in a cold climate, lol. I wear black velvet skirts all year round, now maybe everyone is snickering behind my back saying "poor thing, she doesn't realise that's a winter fabric she's wearing" but truth is, I like them, it's easy, and they aren't really all that much warmer than any other skirt. I wear lightweight knit sirts year round too... now I accept that my style of dress would never pass muster with anyone who considers themselves to be a fashionista, but I like what I wear, and am comfortable doing so.

It sounds like the dress is lovely, and that you like it. Will you be comfortable (I doubt most will really care or notice) or will you now be worried because the self proclaimed experts have decreed it as unacceptable?

I'm all for guidelines of dress for things like formal night whatever... it's all optional as someone can always go to the buffet... but as far as the "white after labor day" rules and certain materials being a no-no unless it's a holiday... other than how they affect your comfort, I think it's all a load of C&** JMHO, and yes, I do wear a lot of black all year round:rolleyes:

There are often pretty glaring generalizations made on these boards.. you'd think people would realise that yes... different people do have different values and opinions, and no, different does not equate with worse:D

I say wear the dress and be happy.

In all honesty, I don't really make an issue of what people wear unless they ask me.

If someone poses the question, then it is already iffy in their mind so hopefully someone can give them an answer that makes sense.

I'm operating under the assumption (I know:o ) that since kellig asked, there is an issue already with her wearing the dress. I think she's looking for some sound advice either why she should or why she should not wear the dress.

If you would really like to wear the dress, by all means do so. I've said this before and I'll say it again, nothing looks better on a woman than confidence.

MomofMeg, if it helps you with the white after Labor Day issue, in resort towns, and that would include a cruise ship in warm weather, the no white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day is thrown out the window.

I personally think the rule is arcaic. It made back when central AC wasn't commonplace, women didn't wear two piece bathing suits, fabric choices were limited, yadda, yadda. White reflects the sun and it was cooler tempurature wise than denim or other fabric.

Look at Jackie O one of the leading style icons of the 20th Century. White jeans were her signature look year round.

Anyway, my two cents.

Archived