Forced gratuities

tpajet

Wow, what a bunch of rude, stuck up jerks on here.

First of all I am speaking from experience hence why I am familiar with the Internet policy. Secondly we had asked the carnival agent upon booking over the phone if there were any others fees or charges and told no.

Also I don have a problem tipping if the service is good but don't just add it in automatically. Let me leave what I think is appropriate for the service we got. And to the poster who said the comment about working for $10 per week, I wouldn't expect that either but I guess I would expect Carnival to pay the staff a wage too.

Ultimately I don't have the issue with tipping but Carnival should have been more upfront. As someone else said here why not just include it with the cost of the cruis ticket and why would carnival not be more upfront about it?

First of all I am speaking from experience hence why I am familiar with the Internet policy. Secondly we had asked the carnival agent upon booking over the phone if there were any others fees or charges and told no.

Also I don have a problem tipping if the service is good but don't just add it in automatically. Let me leave what I think is appropriate for the service we got. And to the poster who said the comment about working for $10 per week, I wouldn't expect that either but I guess I would expect Carnival to pay the staff a wage too.

Ultimately I don't have the issue with tipping but Carnival should have been more upfront. As someone else said here why not just include it with the cost of the cruis ticket and why would carnival not be more upfront about it?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way.

It is always important to read documents and contracts that you agree to / sign.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

Take a look here at Disney's tipping that says per person PER CRUISE.

Notice how the amounts increase based on the length of the cruise?

Notice how, for a 3 night, it is $36 per person? Which, if you do some very simple math you will see that it is 12/per night, per person. :rolleyes:

Nice try though.

If you ask a booking agent are there are fees. they would say no, because there are not any upfront.. so they answered you correctly. Had you asked are there some charges to expect once onboard they would have mentioned tips perhaps?

Dont go on NCL because the tips are now called service charges and you have even less choice as on Carnival.

As far as calling people stuck up because they are ok with the tipping policy ..... people who dont want to tip the standard amt is a hot topic, sorry. but it just is.

Yes, unfortunately, now you know its true, a lot of stewards and waiters only make about $50 a month.

A hundred years ago I use to wait tables, and lived on tips. Just a preface.

My feeling is: if you can't afford to tip a measly 10$ a day, then you should really reconsider if you can afford to cruise.

Just saying.

Flame away.

I agree completely!!!!

DJ

I know when i spend this much money up front for anything including a vacation i read and research everything i can. With that said.... your fault

and also spell check works great use it....

Look again--You are still reading it wrong!

For a 7 day cruise:

$28 for the Dining Room Server

$21 for the Dining Room Assistant Server

$7 Dining Room Head Server (Maitre D)

$28 Stateroom Host (Cabin Steward)

______

$84 total for the week, which can be broken down to $12 a day per person!!

If you notice, Disney has written up differently than Carnival. In order to make a fair comparison, you need to add up all the totals for each group you are tipping.

A 7 day cruise on Disney, to tip everyone, is $84 TOTAL per person, per cruise.

Carnival is saying, for $10 a day they will divide the tips to everyone for a grand total of $70 per person, per cruise.

Look again--You are still reading it wrong!

For a 7 day cruise:

$28 for the Dining Room Server

$21 for the Dining Room Assistant Server

$7 Dining Room Head Server (Maitre D)

$28 Stateroom Host (Cabin Steward)

______

$84 total for the week, which can be broken down to $12 a day per person!!

Big surprise! :D

You are mis-reading this. For a three day cruise, the total recommended is $36 per person FOR THE CRUISE, breaks down to $12 per person per day to cover all services (cabin attendent, dining room staff, etc).

I can however see how you might be confused.

Yes, if you are going to cruise, you need to pay these tips.

If you are not going to pay the tips, don't cruise.

problem solved!

Since when do you get to decide how other people choose to spend their money? :rolleyes:

How about you mind your business, and allow others to mind theirs.

Problem solved!

To OP, I fyou can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go. That's the way the game is played, like it or not. If you don't wanna tip, go camping.

Tips are not required , so they most definately can go on a cruise. By the way many camp rangers deserve tips. Good service= tip, bad service = no tip. Pretty simple.;)

Tips are not required , so they most definately can go on a cruise. By the way many camp rangers deserve tips. Good service= tip, bad service = no tip. Pretty simple.;)

There's a big difference between not tipping due to bad service and not tipping because you can't afford it/don't want to spend the extra $$.

If service is good, tips should be required. If service is exceptional, you should tip above and beyond the "required" tip.

Isn't math fun? :D

Maybe the OP will realize this is a losing battle

Wonder if OP will be back now that A) he has been proven wrong with his math skills and B) His examples are actually HIGHER than Carnival.

Mouth, meet foot.

Sadly enough, if the tips were not added on automaticly, there would be a certain number of "people" that would not tip anything. I was really glad to see it when the cruise lines started adding them automaticly.

To the OP, I would recommend that you just cancel your Carnival cruise and book it with Disney.

Doug

Archived