SANYA-VISA? YES or NO??????????

glutenhab

You will get many different answer here on CC about visa, also cruise lines have different advice.

The best advice to at the Chinese embassy / consulate website in your country.

Ron

The answer here is not clear cut :

* Everyone needs a Chinese Visa to visit Sanya which is part of mainland China.

* If it is your only port of call in mainland China and your cruise line calls there regularly then SOME cruiselines have an arrangement with the Chinese Government where a Day Pass Visa is issued on arrival via the Cruise line Purser Office with the cost being charged to the passengers on-board account .

* If there is more than one port of call in mainland China then everyone needs to get a multiple entry Chinese Visa prior to arriving in China.

So the first thing is to ask your cruise line if they get the Sanya Visas or whether the pax has to in advance .

Most pax do not need Visas for Tourist visits to either Hong Kong (SAR) and Taiwan .

You need a visa to enter China, regardless of your entry city.

Hi Pam,

As per the OP's question, is you post based on a visit to Hainan province/port of Sanya, and no other chinese port (other than HK), since September last?

The OP is seeking a response specific to Sanya, which is a special case - just check the different responses to 2 - 3 recent threads on this forum, or google "Hainan visa" or "Sanya visa".

It would help to avoid further confusion if you would kindly post again to confirm whether you have specific recent knowledge of visa requirements for Hainan/Sanya, or whether you were unaware that the requirements for Hainan are different to other ports in China.

Regards

John Bull :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted similar questions in this forum and on Trip Advisor. I now have some information that may be useful. Those of us on HAL's January 2012 cruise that includes Sanya and NO OTHER Chinese port just noticed that the revised itinerary HAL recently posted on its website no longer contains a visa requirement for Sanya. Therefore, it is obvious that if Sanya is your only port in China (other than Hong Kong which does not require a visa), no visa is required.

In my opinion, this is no longer an issue.

Hope this helps everyone and puts the matter to rest.

Phyllis

I have posted similar questions in this forum and on Trip Advisor. I now have some information that may be useful. Those of us on HAL's January 2012 cruise that includes Sanya and NO OTHER Chinese port just noticed that the revised itinerary HAL recently posted on its website no longer contains a visa requirement for Sanya. Therefore, it is obvious that if Sanya is your only port in China (other than Hong Kong which does not require a visa), no visa is required.

In my opinion, this is no longer an issue.

Hope this helps everyone and puts the matter to rest.

Phyllis

My, oh, my, Phyllis - I've been following your query around on various threads, being given every conceivable answer. That really has been hard work.:(

Well done to you for getting the definitive answer :)

And well done to HAL for eventually providing it. :)

But I'd still caution anyone on a similar itinerary with a different cruiseline that the decision whether they are allowed to even board without a visa rests with the cruiseline. And they're hopelessly muddled on this issue.

JB :)

Archived