A review of Queen Mary 2 7 night Fjords cruise from the perspective of a regular Cele

iandjm

I returned from 14 nights on Celebrity Eclipse on 4 June and was lucky to go on Qm2 on 17 June so was in a good position to compare both products

About me

I am a 30 something who usually travels with friends. On Celebrity I usually have a sky suite. On Qm2 I had a simple inside cabin. I have been on 20 P&O cruises, 13 Celebrity cruises and several on QE2 and Princess that vary in length from 2 to 17 nights.

I was travelling on Qm2 with my 91 year old neighbour and 84 year old grand mother. It was a special trip for them.

Check in and boarding in Southampton

We arrived the Ocean terminal in Southampton in at midday and were allocated a number and asked to sit in the very modern waiting lounge until our number was called. When our number was called (after 30 mins) we went up and carried out check in, went straight through security and boarded QM2. Our cabins were available at this time. Far nicer than having to wait in public areas for the cabin to be ready.

Cabin

I had an inside cabin on deck 5. It was nicely laid out, had a flat screen tv, and the bathroom although not quite as good as Celebrity’s did have Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, a nice touch. Also there was a full bottle of sparkling wine on ice, once again a very nice touch. The cabin steward, Bianca came along to introduce herself, she was very pleasant and proved to be one of the very best I have ever known. She seemed to have more time to engage in conversation, and carried out her job very efficiently indeed. There was a card in the cabin detailing the restaurant table allocated, which included a nice plan of the restaurant, so I did not feel the need to rush down and find where my table was.

Ports

We called firstly at Stavanger. We explored the city on our own, visiting the historical wooden houses of the old town (which was right beside the ship)

Second port was Flaam. What an amazing trip down the Fjord to Flamm! We were up on deck at 6am to see all the sights. At Flaam we took a ships tour onto the railway and up into the mountains. We stopped off to admire the view and for refreshments there before travelling back down to the Port.

Thirdly we anchored in Geiranger. Wow what an amazing place. Stunning mountain views and a little village and shops to explore. Tendering went well, with open tendering from11am.

Bergen. We moored in the docks here. There was Free (yes Free Celebrity!!) shuttle bus into the centre of the city. We went on a ships excursion around the city and up on the Bergen funicular railway. Wow what a view!

We had sunny weather in every port!

Main dining

Our group were allocated table 60 on the lower level of the Britannia Restaurant (notice it is actually called a restaurant, not a dining room as it would be on Celebrity. I dislike the expression dining room, as it sounds like something from a boarding school, not an upmarket ship)

Our waiters were very good. Our glasses of water were refilled instantly when needed. The sommelier was really efficient, and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for our wine to arrive.

The food was good quality, always really hot and had a good selection of vegetables. Portion size was just right too. It was nice to have petit fours brought to the table after every meal.

Overall the dining experience was excellent, every bit as good as the Coronia Restaurant on QE2.

We had several lunched in the Britannia Restaurant. It was interesting to note the restaurant was also open on port days, something I really miss on Celebrity, as I am not a fan of buffets.

Afternoon Tea

Another great tradition held every day in the Queens Room. Served with finger sandwiches, cakes and cream scones. A really nice experience made even better with live harp or piano background music.

Buffet

Not as nice as Celebrity by any stretch. Very spread out. Lots of seating. I did not use it at all after boarding day, having said that you did not have to with all the other options onboard.

Drink prices

Although in $US I thought prices were considerably cheaper than Celebrity

Alternative lunches

Pub lunches were served in the Golden Lion Pub and Sir Samuels wine bar had a range of sandwiches / paninis

Room service

I had room service on a couple of occasions. It was always delivered within 20 minutes of ordering and the side salad had proper dressing on it, a nice touch again.

Theatre / Entertainment

The cruise director was Ray Rouse, a real professional! He presented a half hour daily tv programme as well, with interviews with that evenings performers etc. A very professional and friendly cruise director.

I went to all shows in the theatre and found them all to be excellent. The production shows were varied and I thought the music and vocals were the best I have experienced on a ship.

On other nights there were guest singers including a really good Dean Martin impersonator. He had been in the ‘Rat Pack’ stage show recently.

On the first and last night there was a variety show in the theatre, featuring guest singers / musicians and a routine from the singers and dancers (one was a tribute to the music of ‘sting’ ) I was impressed with this as on many cruise lines you get 3 production shows from the cast, and that’s it.

Also we had lectures from destination guides, held in the 500 seat planetarium auditorium along with two fascination talks from John Maxtone Graham, a fascination ship historian.

Also shows in the planetarium were the obvious planetarium shows, films and also 3D fils (the opera Carmen was shows one evening in 3D)

Queens Room

Every evening the Queens Room hosted ballroom dancing, with a live orchestra and for some of the time a vocalist. Ballroom dancing is not my thing, but I have to admit given the atmosphere and surroundings I really enjoyed it. It felt like the classic days of the ocean liner.

Décor

The interior of QM2 is classic. Wood panelling on every wall. Beautiful stair wells with classic ship paintings. The Lifts were the same inside with lovely wood panelling and paintings. I loved the classic look of the ship.

Decks

QM2 has really nice tiered aft decks on several levels. There is a large pool on the lowest of the levels, along with a pool bar. All decks were teak. It was lovely to stand here when at sea or departing a port. I have forgotten how nice it is to be on a ship that does not have the cut off flat stern, with the only access to it being on the top deck.

In front of the funnel on deck 12 there was a very large open deck area, with a viewing deck one deck up in front of the funnel (a great place to hear the original whistle from the Queen Mary)

Nice features

Behind the bridge there is a viewing area, which enables you to view what is happening on the bridge through windows. This was open on sea days and I thought was a great idea.

When ordering a drink in bars your invoice is delivered in a walled for signing at your leisure. I really liked this as you felt less hurried and more ‘trusted’

Also when ordering a drink in the evening a small plate of canapés is delivered with your order. Later in the evening a bowl of crisps or peanuts was delivered with all drinks. Nice touches.

Disembarkation

Very well organised. No onboard announcements. Went along to the theatre before allocated time and was off the ship 30 earlier than expected.

Conclusion

I felt that QM2 was a very well run ship. Lots of the ways of doing things made you feel more special than you do on Celebrity. The interior was classic ocean liner which I liked. I thought the deck space was far superior to the millennium and solstice class ships, with a full wrap around promenade deck and the lovely tiered decks at the stern. The dining was superb, which I was not expecting after Celebrity. Overall 10/10

I returned from 14 nights on Celebrity Eclipse on 4 June and was lucky to go on Qm2 on 17 June so was in a good position to compare both products

About me

I am a 30 something who usually travels with friends. On Celebrity I usually have a sky suite. On Qm2 I had a simple inside cabin. I have been on 20 P&O cruises, 13 Celebrity cruises and several on QE2 and Princess that vary in length from 2 to 17 nights.

I was travelling on Qm2 with my 91 year old neighbour and 84 year old grand mother. It was a special trip for them.

Check in and boarding in Southampton

We arrived the Ocean terminal in Southampton in at midday and were allocated a number and asked to sit in the very modern waiting lounge until our number was called. When our number was called (after 30 mins) we went up and carried out check in, went straight through security and boarded QM2. Our cabins were available at this time. Far nicer than having to wait in public areas for the cabin to be ready.

Cabin

I had an inside cabin on deck 5. It was nicely laid out, had a flat screen tv, and the bathroom although not quite as good as Celebrity’s did have Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, a nice touch. Also there was a full bottle of sparkling wine on ice, once again a very nice touch. The cabin steward, Bianca came along to introduce herself, she was very pleasant and proved to be one of the very best I have ever known. She seemed to have more time to engage in conversation, and carried out her job very efficiently indeed. There was a card in the cabin detailing the restaurant table allocated, which included a nice plan of the restaurant, so I did not feel the need to rush down and find where my table was.

Ports

We called firstly at Stavanger. We explored the city on our own, visiting the historical wooden houses of the old town (which was right beside the ship)

Second port was Flaam. What an amazing trip down the Fjord to Flamm! We were up on deck at 6am to see all the sights. At Flaam we took a ships tour onto the railway and up into the mountains. We stopped off to admire the view and for refreshments there before travelling back down to the Port.

Thirdly we anchored in Geiranger. Wow what an amazing place. Stunning mountain views and a little village and shops to explore. Tendering went well, with open tendering from11am.

Bergen. We moored in the docks here. There was Free (yes Free Celebrity!!) shuttle bus into the centre of the city. We went on a ships excursion around the city and up on the Bergen funicular railway. Wow what a view!

We had sunny weather in every port!

Main dining

Our group were allocated table 60 on the lower level of the Britannia Restaurant (notice it is actually called a restaurant, not a dining room as it would be on Celebrity. I dislike the expression dining room, as it sounds like something from a boarding school, not an upmarket ship)

Our waiters were very good. Our glasses of water were refilled instantly when needed. The sommelier was really efficient, and we never had to wait more than a few minutes for our wine to arrive.

The food was good quality, always really hot and had a good selection of vegetables. Portion size was just right too. It was nice to have petit fours brought to the table after every meal.

Overall the dining experience was excellent, every bit as good as the Coronia Restaurant on QE2.

We had several lunched in the Britannia Restaurant. It was interesting to note the restaurant was also open on port days, something I really miss on Celebrity, as I am not a fan of buffets.

Afternoon Tea

Another great tradition held every day in the Queens Room. Served with finger sandwiches, cakes and cream scones. A really nice experience made even better with live harp or piano background music.

Buffet

Not as nice as Celebrity by any stretch. Very spread out. Lots of seating. I did not use it at all after boarding day, having said that you did not have to with all the other options onboard.

Drink prices

Although in $US I thought prices were considerably cheaper than Celebrity

Alternative lunches

Pub lunches were served in the Golden Lion Pub and Sir Samuels wine bar had a range of sandwiches / paninis

Room service

I had room service on a couple of occasions. It was always delivered within 20 minutes of ordering and the side salad had proper dressing on it, a nice touch again.

Theatre / Entertainment

The cruise director was Ray Rouse, a real professional! He presented a half hour daily tv programme as well, with interviews with that evenings performers etc. A very professional and friendly cruise director.

I went to all shows in the theatre and found them all to be excellent. The production shows were varied and I thought the music and vocals were the best I have experienced on a ship.

On other nights there were guest singers including a really good Dean Martin impersonator. He had been in the ‘Rat Pack’ stage show recently.

On the first and last night there was a variety show in the theatre, featuring guest singers / musicians and a routine from the singers and dancers (one was a tribute to the music of ‘sting’ ) I was impressed with this as on many cruise lines you get 3 production shows from the cast, and that’s it.

Also we had lectures from destination guides, held in the 500 seat planetarium auditorium along with two fascination talks from John Maxtone Graham, a fascination ship historian.

Also shows in the planetarium were the obvious planetarium shows, films and also 3D fils (the opera Carmen was shows one evening in 3D)

Queens Room

Every evening the Queens Room hosted ballroom dancing, with a live orchestra and for some of the time a vocalist. Ballroom dancing is not my thing, but I have to admit given the atmosphere and surroundings I really enjoyed it. It felt like the classic days of the ocean liner.

Décor

The interior of QM2 is classic. Wood panelling on every wall. Beautiful stair wells with classic ship paintings. The Lifts were the same inside with lovely wood panelling and paintings. I loved the classic look of the ship.

Decks

QM2 has really nice tiered aft decks on several levels. There is a large pool on the lowest of the levels, along with a pool bar. All decks were teak. It was lovely to stand here when at sea or departing a port. I have forgotten how nice it is to be on a ship that does not have the cut off flat stern, with the only access to it being on the top deck.

In front of the funnel on deck 12 there was a very large open deck area, with a viewing deck one deck up in front of the funnel (a great place to hear the original whistle from the Queen Mary)

Nice features

Behind the bridge there is a viewing area, which enables you to view what is happening on the bridge through windows. This was open on sea days and I thought was a great idea.

When ordering a drink in bars your invoice is delivered in a walled for signing at your leisure. I really liked this as you felt less hurried and more ‘trusted’

Also when ordering a drink in the evening a small plate of canapés is delivered with your order. Later in the evening a bowl of crisps or peanuts was delivered with all drinks. Nice touches.

Disembarkation

Very well organised. No onboard announcements. Went along to the theatre before allocated time and was off the ship 30 earlier than expected.

Conclusion

I felt that QM2 was a very well run ship. Lots of the ways of doing things made you feel more special than you do on Celebrity. The interior was classic ocean liner which I liked. I thought the deck space was far superior to the millennium and solstice class ships, with a full wrap around promenade deck and the lovely tiered decks at the stern. The dining was superb, which I was not expecting after Celebrity. Overall 10/10

I was on the same cruise as you and totally agree with your comments with the exception of the entertainment.

I have already posted about how poor the evening shows were and in particular the Dean Martin production...we thought it to be abysmal. Ray needs to get a grip of Icon and the DJ in G32.

The port visits were exceptional and I'm glad we only did a ship's tour in Flamm. The others were beautiful and there was more than enough to see and do by yourself.

One thing I didn't like was the 'jumble sale' type tables towards the end of the cruise (horned Viking hats, cheap jewellery and other tat). I really think Cunard should stick to the shops.

Great review. You did get to see some of the best ports in Norway. It's good to hear that you were taken care of so nicely.

Your comment about the term "dining room" was amusing. I recently got back from a bio research station that had once been a summer camp. We ate our meals in the "dining room," although in its camp days it had been the "dining hall."

Agreed - nice review. I hope you didn't find the Pol Acker too dangerous - I see that you didn't receive the upgrade (half a bottle rather than a bottle).

In all seriousness you have been fortunate to visit some of the best that Norway has to offer - at least in the south. North Norway is very different, but just as worth seeing, so there is an idea for your next trip.

Did you manage to do the railway at Flaam?

WD

Thanks for your positive and constructive review. I particularly agree with your point regarding Kings Court. It's a place I detest. I'm not a great fan of the Lidos on QV and QE (in fact I didn't like the Lido on QE2 much either), but at least they have the advantage of being somewhat more compact and user friendly than Kings Court.

J

Thanks for your positive and constructive review. I particularly agree with your point regarding Kings Court. It's a place I detest. I'm not a great fan of the Lidos on QV and QE (in fact I didn't like the Lido on QE2 much either), but at least they have the advantage of being somewhat more compact and user friendly than Kings Court.

J

The great thing is that you are not forced to use it, as the restaurant is always open, and snacks are available from other areas.

Ive always been of the opinion that walking around with a tray of food is more holiday camp than cruise ;)

The great thing is that you are not forced to use it, as the restaurant is always open, and snacks are available from other areas.

Ive always been of the opinion that walking around with a tray of food is more holiday camp than cruise ;)

Absolutely - I've pretty much given up on all the buffets now. I only drop by there for an early morning cup of coffee before heading out on deck.

J

The restaurants are not always open - there are set hours.

There is, of course, cabin service at any time.

However I take (and agree with) your point that it is easy to avoid Kings Cafeteria.

WD

The restaurants are not always open - there are set hours.

There is, of course, cabin service at any time.

However I take (and agree with) your point that it is easy to avoid Kings Cafeteria.

WD

I should have been clearer when I wrote always open. I meant the restaurant is op for breakfast lunch and dinner every day :)

I forgot a couple of opinions from the review. I felt far less pressured to keep spending money onboard. Recently I have felt quite hounded on Celebrity to buy drinks etc and announcements encouraging people to book speciality restaurants, I have also found the servers getting annoying delivering drinks during the shows, expecting people to sign recepts in the dark.

Also it was so nice not to have the waiters / stewards TELL me to say how brilliant they are on the customer comments form at the end of the cruise. On all my recent Celebrity cruises I have been badgered by staff to comment positively about them. Something any decent person would do anyway if they had gone the extra mile. Infact it almost encourages you to not bother filling in the form!

I forgot a couple of opinions from the review. I felt far less pressured to keep spending money onboard. Recently I have felt quite hounded on Celebrity to buy drinks etc and announcements encouraging people to book speciality restaurants, I have also found the servers getting annoying delivering drinks during the shows, expecting people to sign recepts in the dark.

Also it was so nice not to have the waiters / stewards TELL me to say how brilliant they are on the customer comments form at the end of the cruise. On all my recent Celebrity cruises I have been badgered by staff to comment positively about them. Something any decent person would do anyway if they had gone the extra mile. Infact it almost encourages you to not bother filling in the form!

Oh yes, announcements. :mad: Princess drove me crazy with endless announcements about bingo.

Thank goodness Cunard doesn't do that. I once heard a cruise director on Cunard say "We make a few announcements in the morning and at noon. Other than that, you are grownups and we trust you can read the program for yourselves." The bingo players (and I have met some pretty rabid players!) always know where and when, and do not have to nagged to go.

I should have been clearer when I wrote always open. I meant the restaurant is op for breakfast lunch and dinner every day :)

I guessed that is what you meant, but didn't want someone else to get the wrong end of the stick! :)

WD

Or, in my case, for breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Jimmy Three Breakfasts

I agree strongly with the first point. Now I've only ever done a QM2 TA, no other cruises but have heard how many cruises constantly pester you to buy things. I found my crossing to be very peaceful, no one was pushy at all.

Thanks for your original post as well. That itinerary sounds very intriguing indeed.

Or, in my case, for breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Jimmy Three Breakfasts

Ha ha ha... You make me laugh...

Although, if the well documented Eggs Benedict is available daily, I will be a happy Cunarder on my crossing!

-----------------

I so agree! Lines and trays are both something that I would prefer to avoid if possible while on vacation, certainly on a lovely ship like QM2.

But it can come in handy, and is certainly very popular with many on board.

Thank you for posting your very thoughtful and balanced review. So glad you had such a good experience. Very interesting attention to the details on board (such as the wallets for presenting drink invoices, and the canapes in the evening, as well as the Queen's Room at night, even if not participating in the dancing). :)

We were on the same cruise and echo the TR comments exactly. I have commented elsewhere, but we were especially impressed with the behaviour of our fellow passengers. I don't know if it is overall ambiance of the ship, the style of the various lifts, or the age of many of the people, but it was a real delight to stroll around the ship. Once thing I would like to see is the tests they do on those lifts! We were all amused by the total number of passengers who are supposed to be able to get into them - either extremely cosy or standing piggy-back. Great ship, great trip. Very well organised.

Although, if the well documented Eggs Benedict is available daily, I will be a happy Cunarder on my crossing!

It was every day on our cruise, apart from the final day in Southampton :)

I couldn't agree more about the "pestering" to buy stuff on some other lines. I especially like how I can visit the spa for a treatment without being told how I "need" a certain product. I hope Cunard continues with this "no pester" policy.

I couldn't agree more about the "pestering" to buy stuff on some other lines. I especially like how I can visit the spa for a treatment without being told how I "need" a certain product. I hope Cunard continues with this "no pester" policy.

I couldn't agree more. We travel by ship almost exclusively on Cunard because of the more refined atmosphere (i.e., lack of announcements and staff pushing products). Cunard's passengers also, for the most part, have manners. We hope this continues.

Well you are definitely going to be very happy then - Eggs Benedict will certainly be available for you ever day. Also, if you like a nice bit of black pudding they can usually find some even though it's not on the menu.

J

Archived