A review of Queen Mary 2 7 night Fjords cruise from the perspective of a regular Cele

iandjm

I'm not a great fan of the Lidos on QV and QE (in fact I didn't like the Lido on QE2 much either)

Odd. I thought the Lido on QE2 was similar in atmosphere to a downmarket motorway service station and to an upmarket one for food ! I hardly ever went to QE2's Lido. However I did feel the buffet on Vicky was more than acceptable and was there, at least once, every day! :)

Odd. I thought the Lido on QE2 was similar in atmosphere to a downmarket motorway service station

Well, I did say to you in Tesco that if we could get somebody outside to chuck a few buckets of water at the windows, it would be just like QE2 :D:D

J

Well, I did say to you in Tesco that if we could get somebody outside to chuck a few buckets of water at the windows, it would be just like QE2 :D:D

J

No, Tesco would have been an improvement. I wouldn't have had that grubby feel that the Lido had! :rolleyes:

No, Tesco would have been an improvement. I wouldn't have had that grubby feel that the Lido had! :rolleyes:

Now, STOP THAT!!!!! :p

I feel I must defend the dear departed.

Sometimes I think I must be the only person who liked the QE2 Lido. The lines were organized well, and the food was good. I liked it for lunch because it was a way to have a quick light meal. I remember the days when the area had portable serving carts exending out the hallway (toward the Queens Room) and the seating area was in the Magrodome with a swimming pool (seldom used) and large wicker chairs. But it didn't serve or seat many people.

When QE2 was built, the buffet idea wasn't as popular as it is now. As more pax wanted a buffet, Cunard had to retrofit somehow. The Magrodome became the Lido. QE2's contemporary, Norway, had the same issue. The buffet there had horrible flow and very limited seating, but it was (barely) better than nothing.

I would take a Lido like the one on QE2 over King's Court any day! (And before you start with the comparison to that M1 rest stop, I have been there, and the Lido was MUCH BETTER. :D)

Now, STOP THAT!!!!! :p

OK, next time you're in the area Malcolm and I will take you to breakfast in the Tesco cafeteria at Askham Bar. Then you can see the true meaning of elegance, sample gourmet breakfast food, soak up the ambience, listen to the Palm Court Orchestra, and admire the skill and professionalism of the white gloved waiting staff. :D:D:D

J

Sometimes I think I must be the only person who liked the QE2 Lido.

Panic not, I liked it too. In fact, on holiday, I'm rather fond of the buffet concept for breakfast and lunch - get food, eat it, go and do something more interesting.

I know, bit weird:eek:.

Mary

Sometimes I think I must be the only person who liked the QE2 Lido.

You must be! I would say that my first times on QE2 I found the Lido fantastic and ate every breakfast and lunch there. That was before the disastrous 1992 refit however.

I remember the days when the area had portable serving carts extending out the hallway (toward the Queens Room) and the seating area was in the Magrodome with a swimming pool (seldom used) and large wicker chairs. But it didn't serve or seat many people.

The Magrodome was never used. But that was because it was broken and was never repaired. I've seen pictures of it moving but have never actually seen it open. I have actually swum in that pool though so it was used on atleast one occasion :D

When QE2 was built, the buffet idea wasn't as popular as it is now. As more pax wanted a buffet, Cunard had to retrofit somehow.

Another big change is that people became less willing to share tables. This could be seen both by the Quarterdeck Pool and in the Columbia Restaurant where there had been lots of tables for 8 to 12 people they were replaced in the Lido/Caronia with a lot of tables for two.

I would take a Lido like the one on QE2 over King's Court any day!

Yipes! :eek:I never want to see Kings Court! :eek:

Panic not, I liked it too.

And this was where the alternative was slumming it in the Britannia Grill :eek:

(NB for those who don't remember QE2 Britannia Grill was one of the Grills and not the same as the Britannia Restaurant on the new ships :) )

Now, STOP THAT!!!!!

I feel I must defend the dear departed.

Sometimes I think I must be the only person who liked the QE2 Lido. The lines were organized well, and the food was good. I liked it for lunch because it was a way to have a quick light meal. I remember the days when the area had portable serving carts exending out the hallway (toward the Queens Room) and the seating area was in the Magrodome with a swimming pool (seldom used) and large wicker chairs. But it didn't serve or seat many people.

No your not alone Kathy, l loved the lido as well, and never had any problem getting a seat, I could join in the laughter and meriment as we joined the lines, then tray safely laden with food, trip the light fantastic to any seat that was empty at a table and burst forth ask "Is this seat taken " and promptly plant myself down and engage in banter .

Now as for any vile Tesco cafe, they are best avoided at any cost, the few times l have ventured into the loathsome stores the tables are never cleared, the chips are normally cold, and when the food order is complete l have to ask for a magnifying glass in order l can see whats on the plate.As for the staff they can barely be civil, Then again l never tip them :eek:

Or, in my case, for breakfast, breakfast, breakfast, lunch and dinner every day.

Jimmy Three Breakfasts

So....do you get up and leave the dining area and then go up to the buffet and then back down to Britannia? Or, do you just sit there through 3 full breakfasts over the period when the dining area is open for breakfast? ;)

The Magrodome was never used. But that was because it was broken and was never repaired. I've seen pictures of it moving but have never actually seen it open. I have actually swum in that pool though so it was used on atleast one occasion :D

I never saw the roof opened, either. But I did swim in the pool several times. The space that had been the pool was replaced by the stairs down to 1 Deck.

Thanks for your review. Like you we have cruised on Princess, and Celebrity (we are elite on these two lines) plus HAL. We decided to try Cunard for the first time last spring. Did a TA on the QV -- much to our surprise we felt Cunard and OV were far better than Celebrity, especially when it comea to service in the MDR. Even though we were first times we were able to order off the menu with no problem what so ever and in general the quality of food was more consistently good then we have found on other lines when we order off menu. We enjoyed it so much we cancelled a HAL cruise we had booked for this fall to the Middle East and rebooked on the QV.

We did eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. While the newer Celebrity ship, we have been on the Equniox, does have an excellent buffet we were able to find something we liked most days on the OV. At lunch time we often took our lunch back to our cabin and enjoyed it on our balcony. Some days we ordered room service which was also quiet good.

The entertainment and the opportunity to go dancing every night for most of the evening is another big plus for us.

We will continue to cruise on Princess, Celebrity and HAL - plus we have added Cunard to our cruiseline options. We select based on where we want to go and what deals we find out there. Each line has its pluses and minues no doubt.

I was also on this trip to Norway and had a brilliant time and thought that almost everything on board was excellent. Great to see the art auctions have gone and agree with Rosler that the sales tables are yucky but they do seem to do a roaring trade. I did find the cruise directors morning announcments useful but why were they so loud on the open decks - I am sure the local residents of Stavanger must have found it intrusive early on Sunday morning! Sailing into Geiranger is magical but I found the atmosphere was spoilt by the commentary broadcast over the p.a. system - I wanted to hear the sound of the waterfalls etc. The information could have been included in the printed Daily Programme.

A 99.9% perfect trip!

I thought the Lido on QE2 was excellent for a quick meal and relaxed breakfast. The food and service was good. The Kings Court on QM2 still leaves me disorientated but is a good place to get a quick bite. Lido on the QV excellent - seems more spacious because it has more daylight.

And this was where the alternative was slumming it in the Britannia Grill :eek:

(NB for those who don't remember QE2 Britannia Grill was one of the Grills and not the same as the Britannia Restaurant on the new ships :) )

Yup 'fraid so. I went to the Grills, naturally.

She's just dead common.

Sir Martin

Agree with Simwil about the commentary. Even more irritating was the way the speaker insisted on introducing himself every time he said something.

"Hello again, John here" .... yes, we know, you were speaking 30 seconds ago!

A minor point but ...

Thanks - rant over:-)

Thanks for your review. Like you we have cruised on Princess, and Celebrity (we are elite on these two lines) plus HAL. We decided to try Cunard for the first time last spring. Did a TA on the QV -- much to our surprise we felt Cunard and OV were far better than Celebrity, especially when it comea to service in the MDR. Even though we were first times we were able to order off the menu with no problem what so ever and in general the quality of food was more consistently good then we have found on other lines when we order off menu. We enjoyed it so much we cancelled a HAL cruise we had booked for this fall to the Middle East and rebooked on the QV.

We did eat at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. While the newer Celebrity ship, we have been on the Equniox, does have an excellent buffet we were able to find something we liked most days on the OV. At lunch time we often took our lunch back to our cabin and enjoyed it on our balcony. Some days we ordered room service which was also quiet good.

The entertainment and the opportunity to go dancing every night for most of the evening is another big plus for us.

We will continue to cruise on Princess, Celebrity and HAL - plus we have added Cunard to our cruiseline options. We select based on where we want to go and what deals we find out there. Each line has its pluses and minues no doubt.

I totally agree :)

Archived