Optimal time to find best pricing - HELP!

AllieKay

Love cruising - haven't gone in far, far too many years. Have convinced dear pal that this is our year. She has never cruised. I have done Alaska, Mex Riviera, Caribbean - Princess, HAL, Carnival and others. Am thoroughly enjoying reading about newer ships, changes to cruising since my last time and just getting excited.

We are aiming for Panama Canal or Caribbean in October or November 2011. We are open to FL or CA (repositioning departure) Trying to avoid San Juan embarkation just because airfare/bag fees etc will ratchet up so quickly. Have a few weeks we can't go but plenty of options to work with. We are both early 40's and while social creatures - I also want to relax and do not want lots of kids around (will thus - avoid T-giving week)

With so much flexibility - I am trying to be patient and wait until closer to departure to see what kinds of discounts are out there. Have found some great deals on Carnival (not my fave), RCCL (too many theme cruises for me) and HAL but nothing amazing on Princess as yet.

Does Princess eventually offer great deals closer to cruise date or are they fairly consistent with pricing?

Is HAL demographic still older crowd? I love the serene decor, older-style schedule - high tea, formal nights, etc. But with this her first cruise - want her to not feel like we are youngest aboard (altho' at our age - that might be a perk!!)

I feel like a dog with a bone - I want to get this planned and settled and yet I am thinking that a wee bit more patience will provide better pricing/options for us.

Need you cruise experts to share your insights so I can calm down and proceed with good info!

Love cruising - haven't gone in far, far too many years. Have convinced dear pal that this is our year. She has never cruised. I have done Alaska, Mex Riviera, Caribbean - Princess, HAL, Carnival and others. Am thoroughly enjoying reading about newer ships, changes to cruising since my last time and just getting excited.

We are aiming for Panama Canal or Caribbean in October or November 2011. We are open to FL or CA (repositioning departure) Trying to avoid San Juan embarkation just because airfare/bag fees etc will ratchet up so quickly. Have a few weeks we can't go but plenty of options to work with. We are both early 40's and while social creatures - I also want to relax and do not want lots of kids around (will thus - avoid T-giving week)

With so much flexibility - I am trying to be patient and wait until closer to departure to see what kinds of discounts are out there. Have found some great deals on Carnival (not my fave), RCCL (too many theme cruises for me) and HAL but nothing amazing on Princess as yet.

Does Princess eventually offer great deals closer to cruise date or are they fairly consistent with pricing?

Is HAL demographic still older crowd? I love the serene decor, older-style schedule - high tea, formal nights, etc. But with this her first cruise - want her to not feel like we are youngest aboard (altho' at our age - that might be a perk!!)

I feel like a dog with a bone - I want to get this planned and settled and yet I am thinking that a wee bit more patience will provide better pricing/options for us.

Need you cruise experts to share your insights so I can calm down and proceed with good info!

If you have sailed Princess you are in the 'Captain's Circle" program. If you sign up online you can get some pretty good email offers. A couple weeks ago they had a 2 for 1 sale and may well repeat it. We did this on our Alaska cruise and was a big savings. We found we missed the first opportunity because we waited but the second notice we acted as soon as the email came in.

There are already some good prices from FLL in Oct-nov.

Good luck

Larry-

thanks so much! I registered for Captains Circle but did not enter previous cruise info and now it won't let me fix. Awaiting response from Princess about this. Appreciate the advice.

NYC1234 - Thank you as well. I really enjoyed Princess so wanted confirmation that it was as good as I remember from years ago. Just need to find a great deal or will be hard to convince my pal to spend so much more for a similar itinerary, etc as can be found on other lines. I am on a mission!!!

RCCL (too many theme cruises for me)

Iv never been on a RCL cruise that I would have considered a theme cruise .. what does this mean? I guess the new oasis and allure they do have characters on them I hear .. I cant figure out what you mean on this one though.

If you love HAL .. go with it. Yes its older, but good food.

Archived