itinerary questions

Forensicmom

I have been told by several people, including a travel agent that it's best to stay away from Mexico right now. How true is this?

We're looking at different dates and itineraries but we're not sure what we want or what to do. We just did the Eastern (St Thomas, St Maarten, Nassau) two years ago and wanted something different. The southern will cost too much b/c the airfare to San Juan, not to mention a MUCH longer flight.

I would love to go to Grand Cayman but I'm not sure about Jamaica or Mexico. Are they really family friendly?

Did any of the people that said that to you say why it would be best to stay away? I've heard that in regards to visiting the border areas in Texas and New Mexico. But, I haven't heard anything in regards to Cozumel.

We love Cozumel, it's at the top of my children's favorite ports. We like Paradise Beach - but you could check out the port of calls board for some of the other ones. You can go the "thrifty" way and do a beach visit by taxi - you pay of flat rate for a taxi and then entry into the beach club (I think Paradise beach is $14 if you want to use the water toys - less if you don't want to use them). Or you can choose a more expensive club that includes drinks or drinks and food. There are a lot of choices - and I'd say that almost all of them are family friendly.

As for visiting Jamaica - that's one place that I wouldn't take my kids (DH has said that he probably wouldn't get off the ship if we stopped there either).

I wouldn't rule out San Juan departures. If your location is Maryland as it says, Airtran flies non-stops from BWI to SJU in about four hours for about $300. Not much longer or more expensive than MIA.

And it's the Mexican Riviera that many people are encouraging caution with. Cozumel is great. We took our four and six year olds to Chankanaab last year and had a great time. We were also in Jamaica last year (sans children) where we did a ship tour to Mystic Mountain. I would definitely take my kids on this tour. They would love it.

We will be doing a Western itinerary with our 1yo. I have no problem taking him off the ship in Cozumel, however, that is one of the only areas of Mexico that I feel comfortable with him at this time. As for Jamaica, past experiences will ensure that we do not get off the ship in this port.

There are certain parts of Mexico I would not visit right now, but we're ok going to Cozumel by ship. We plan to stay in tourist areas, likely to a beach. I would not plan a land-based vacation to any part of Mexico right now, but that's me. As for Jamaica, my uncle (retired Royal Canadian Mounted Police) has warned all of us to stay away. I trust his opinion, but hope the situation changes in my lifetime as I had my 8th birthday in Montego Bay and would love to go back!

As others have said, you always have the option to stay on the ship.

Thanks SO much for the advice. It's VERY helpful. I wasn't sure about Jamaica, although I've heard negative things. My neice went there last year for her honeymoon and they came home 4 days early b/c they did NOT feel safe, even at a high level hotel.

A friend did Jamaica by cruise and said it was just VERY dirty and she wouldn't go back.

It's nice to know that Cozumel is on the safer side, at least by ship. There's not much time on shore anyway so I doubt we would even have time to leave the beach.

I'm on the fence about Jamaica with my girls in September. I've been to Jamaica a few times and have even flown in for a land based trip but all without the girls. I have to say though that we haven't had a bad experience there ever. But the more I read the more unsure I am about what to do.

I'm on the fence about Jamaica with my girls in September. I've been to Jamaica a few times and have even flown in for a land based trip but all without the girls. I have to say though that we haven't had a bad experience there ever. But the more I read the more unsure I am about what to do.

I have a friend who lives in the states but is from jamacia and travels there often to visit family. Its bad dangerous don't go there... so I would take his advice n avoid jamacia.

I have only done the bahamas so I'm not much help but that's my two cents.

I've been to the three ports you're interested in (though not with my kids), and I think you'll find that Grand Cayman is a friendly, pleasant place with a number of things that kids would enjoy. Likewise, I never felt unsafe or uncomfortable in Cozumel. As for Jamaica . . . no how, no way.

I've been to all those ports, with kids, and feel perfectly fine about Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

For Jamaica, we've taken kids there twice and it's important, IMO to do either an organized ship tour or very well recommended private tour, or, as we did recently with 7! grandkids, just went to a beach that was recommended here on cruise critic. I would not just take off on my own, especially in towns or shopping areas, especially with kids.

In January we took the seven grandkids to a beach near Montego Bay. They had a great time and we felt very safe--the people there were nice and there was no hard sell of people on the beach pestering us. It was very low-key.

The only negative was that we originally intended to go to Drs. Cave Beach, which was recommended here, but were talked into this beach (name escapes me--something del Sol?) by the bus driver, who said it had lots of things to do. The 'things to do' were not really that great, but the kids didn't need anything except the water and the sand anyway. The roudtrip bus ride was $3 per person and entry to the beach about the same, with a $5 beach chair rental. We only rented one chair to have some place to put stuff.

We actually turned into kind of a tourist sight in reverse, as some of the locals who worked at the beach kept coming to see and talk to the crazy people who brought seven kids and only two adults!

Archived