What the heck? Note: Electronic cigarettes are only allowed in smoking areas????

popsec

There's so much more to cigarette addiction than just the nicotine....there's the physical sensation as well as the nicotine part. That's the reason the patch, the gum, etc don't work. The good part about e-cigs is that you can control the amount of nicotine and can wean yourself down so you're just using flavored liquid with no nicotine.

Nicotine is NOT what causes cancer....it's merely a stimulant. So, if a minute amount of nicotine is exhaled in the vapor, you're not exposed to a cancer causing agent like you are with cigarette smoke.

If you really want to understand, instead of just make negative remarks about something you don't understand, there's a wealth of information available online.

This thread wasn't started to bash smokers or non-smokers but rather to voice my displeasure about a ban made by Carnival that directly affects me and other e-cig users.

See there I was not bashing or making negative remarks.......I can see Carnivals reasoning for the fact that many people are not aware of them and if they do look like a real cigarette than I would think it would cause alot of confusion. And I was wondering if the people that switched to e-cigs can't stand being around the smell of smoke which in turn would make them upset if they were to only be able to smoke them in the smoking area.....

Sure there is more to smoking than the physical addiction......no different than drugs or alcohol......

There's so much more to cigarette addiction than just the nicotine....there's the physical sensation as well as the nicotine part. That's the reason the patch, the gum, etc don't work. The good part about e-cigs is that you can control the amount of nicotine and can wean yourself down so you're just using flavored liquid with no nicotine.

Nicotine is NOT what causes cancer....it's merely a stimulant. So, if a minute amount of nicotine is exhaled in the vapor, you're not exposed to a cancer causing agent like you are with cigarette smoke.

If you really want to understand, instead of just make negative remarks about something you don't understand, there's a wealth of information available online.

This thread wasn't started to bash smokers or non-smokers but rather to voice my displeasure about a ban made by Carnival that directly affects me and other e-cig users.

Unfortunately, you may as well be talking to a rock. Oh, wait...you are. :D

If you really want to know more, please google. There is much to know and we aren't really conversing here. Many of the answers you claim to seek can be found online, instead of trying to pick the minds of a few of us that do have some knowledge of the subject.

I mean no disrespect, but it does come across as stirring the pot, at least to me. We are trying to better our lives, but for a few (not necessarily you) it's not enough.

no there is nothing e about it.......just good old plain hootch.......

There is no such thing as good ol plain hootch, when your friend is killed by it you'll learn. E-cigs don't have the cancer ingrediants in them that a regular cigarette does. Is it really that hard for you to figure out. Thats a fact , yet you say" smoking something as dangerous". Silly you. Reading is your lifeline.;)

Nicotine is addictive. It, depending upon dose, can have very toxic impact. Now the level that impacts someone varies quite a bit and the amount that one might be exposed to from an e-cig is most likely not enough to trigger a reaction one.

Just as it might be erroneous for one to claim all kind of effcits from the vapor, it is equally as erroneous to claim that nicotine is a harmless as water vapor.

From an article on Medline

"Although e-cigarettes are widely sold online and by retailers, new research suggests that they may contain unexpected toxins and may provide unreliable nicotine delivery. Many countries have already banned or strictly regulated e-cigarettes."

From research done at Scripps in San Diego comes are article:

"Exposure to chronic intermittent nicotine vapor induces nicotine dependence."

or from Munich Germany we get

"Activation of olfactory and trigeminal cortical areas following stimulation of the nasal mucosa with low concentrations of S(-)-nicotine vapor--an fMRI study on chemosensory perception."

Nicotine itself can have a medical impact. The question is how much does it take for that impact to occur and for how long of an exposure period.

One person with an e-cig, for a limited exposure, probably not an impact. 50 people in a closed environment for an extended period, probably a measurable impact upon blood chemistry.

While nicotine itself is not a cancer causing agent it can have other impacts.

There is no such thing as good ol plain hootch, when your friend is killed by it you'll learn. E-cigs don't have the cancer ingrediants in them that a regular cigarette does. Is it really that hard for you to figure out. Thats a fact , yet you say" smoking something as dangerous". Silly you. Reading is your lifeline.;)

Oh please spare me:rolleyes: I was commenting on the poster that said Medical pot was e pot......

I never said smoking something as dangerous.....I said something to the fact that could be as dangerous......please re read my posts and stop bing so snotty:rolleyes: Comprehension is your lifeline...

If you really want to know more, please google. There is much to know and we aren't really conversing here. Many of the answers you claim to seek can be found online, instead of trying to pick the minds of a few of us that do have some knowledge of the subject.

I mean no disrespect, but it does come across as stirring the pot, at least to me. We are trying to better our lives, but for a few (not necessarily you) it's not enough.

So than should we tell Carnival to google:confused::p I mean the whole point of the thread was the op was upset because of Carnivals rules....could it be that most people really don't have the answer? Just sayin....Seriously if some people get so offended by my questions can you imagine what it is going to be like on board:confused: And btw I am not against smokers.....I live with one.

I only read the first page,

Lets look at this another direction;

If someone was having a party and alcohol was not aloud, should I be allowed to have near beer if I want?

OK

More like an alcoholic sucking on a e-beer which controls how much alcohol you get:confused:

Just to be clear. I do not have an issue with e-cig's and when or where they are smoked. I don't mind if they are allow to be used outside of non-smoking areas on a cruise ship or not. (I might have a different view on long air plane flights)

I do take issue with a claim the the output is just water vapor or the safety equivalent.

Since the liquids are basically unregulated at this time one cannot be sure what other organic or inorganic compounds might be in the liquid. But most are probably fine.

There is some interesting research out of University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain, that indicates that while nicotine itself may not directly be tied to cancer, it may have an impact upon some types of cells that may support tumor growth.

In the current work, we examined the effects of acute and repetitive exposure to nicotine, in the concentrations found in the lungs of active smokers, on the malignant properties of N417 SCLC cells in vitro. We observed that repetitive nicotine exposure induced a neuronal-like appearance in N417 cells along with increased adhesion to the extracellular matrix and chemoresistance. These changes were accompanied by enhanced migration through collagen matrices and adhesion to and transmigration across lymphatic endothelial cell monolayers. SCLC differentiation reverted after cessation of nicotine exposure. Here, we provide evidence for the leading role of the CXCR4/CXCL12 axis in these phenomena. Finally, we show how nicotine-differentiated N417 cells produced bigger and more vascularized tumors in mice, with lower apoptotic rates, than their nondifferentiated counterparts. In short, these findings identify the mechanisms through which nicotine increases SCLC malignancy and provide further evidence that CXCR4 is a potential anticancer target for nicotine-associated SCLC.

So than should we tell Carnival to google:confused::p I mean the whole point of the thread was the op was upset because of Carnivals rules....could it be that most people really don't have the answer? Just sayin....Seriously if some people get so offended by my questions can you imagine what it is going to be like on board:confused: And btw I am not against smokers.....I live with one.

Sure, why not? It appears this decision was made by people with little to no knowledge of the subject. An informed decision may be just as upsetting to people as this one, but at least it would have been...informed.

I tend to avoid discussions like this but... I agree with the poster who said that SOME fanatical non-smokers are the reason for this ban. It seems as if alot of posters like to point out that there is no one on this board who wants to see e-cigs banished to the smoking area, but we must remember that this board compose a wee tiny cross section of the cruisers. Hells bells some cruisers are older and don't even know how to computerize. I also agree with MsDiva on the fact that long term testing hasn't been done so we don't know for certain it is 100% safe. I'm in the HVAC field and R-22 was considered safe for the enviroment for over 25 years...until the found out it wasn't. Saying all this, I have to point out that I'm a non-smoker and I don't really care for the smell but I also realize that everyone has a choice and if I don't want to be a part of that scene I can make like a shepherd and "get the flock out". So everyone relaax and stop being so snippy with each other:D

I have been using an e-cigarette or personal vaporizer since Feb. of this year. That includes a March Legend cruise where I wasn't sure of the rules so I used it discreetly and everywhere on the ship except the MDR and elevators.

I don't think a single person even noticed. If you hold the vapor in a few seconds longer than normal there is no vapor on the exhale. The same vapor is used in the stage acts on ship every single day, minus any trace of nicotine if there is any.

I don't plan on changing a thing on where or how I use my vaporizer and I wont say anything to those slamming down drinks or coffee.

Peace Out

This thread is cracking me up....

Reminds me of the old joke...

"I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"...:p

Carnival made a rule about where these can be used in writing in their rules...

Live with it...;)

This thread is cracking me up....

Reminds me of the old joke...

"I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out"...:p

Carnival made a rule about where these can be used in writing in their rules...

Live with it...;)

or become an accomplished 'stealth vaporer'.... that's my plan :eek:

Archived