A 2 years 11.5 months child in the 3+ Shipmates?

socsthecat

We're looking at booking an August cruise on the Summit. Our daughter (this will be her 5th cruise) will be a couple of days shy of the 3 years+ limit for the Shipmates activities, which sound ideal for her.

How strict are they with the 3 years old age limit? Anyone sneaked in a mature under 3 year old? Do they check the age against the passenger manifest?

TIA.

We're looking at booking an August cruise on the Summit. Our daughter (this will be her 5th cruise) will be a couple of days shy of the 3 years+ limit for the Shipmates activities, which sound ideal for her.

How strict are they with the 3 years old age limit? Anyone sneaked in a mature under 3 year old? Do they check the age against the passenger manifest?

TIA.

Depends on the cruise line and the staff on board. They can check birth dates, and often do. Usually, the age the child is at the start of the cruise determines their status for the entire voyage. Celebrity MAY allow some flexibility, but you won't really know until you get on board. it can depend on how many kids are on board, who the manager is etc. Do not rely on anything CS reps tell you ahead of time. They're not on the ship and they don't make the rules. The Fun Factory manager has the discretion.

Regardless of age, your DD will need to be completely potty trained to participate in the Fun Factory.

If there are a lot of kids, they won't allow it. There is a reason for the rules, and one being there could be a lot of kids that are within a "few days", "a couple of weeks" of being of age. They really can't start allowing this one or that one, because if that's the case, why even have the age requirements? They do have a list of the kids birthdays, and there's no way to "sneak" a child into the club. What you can do is, if she actually turns three during the cruise, you can see if they will let her in on her birthday. If she doesn't turn three during the cruise, you can ask, but be prepared for them to say no. BTW, just in case, the child has to be fully independently toilet trained. The counselors do absolutely nothing, including taking kids to the bathroom.

Anyone sneaked in a mature under 3 year old?

I know what you mean, just don't think I've ever heard 'mature' used to describe any 3 year old!

Agree with everyone else, it's certainly worth asking once onboard, but don't get your hopes up.

Why not delay the cruise until she's actually 3 and can enjoy the kids' club without the uncertainty? I would bet that they would not allow it, personally.

And yeah... "mature" is not the adjective I'd use for any 2 year old.

I certainly can't critisize, since I've been guilty of tweaking my age in the past. I recall the older gentleman who was engaged to a sweet young thing. His friends, knowing he was 75, assumed he had fudged about his age in his discussions with her. Finally, when asked, he admitted he had misrepresented his actual age so that she would be attracted to him. "Yes, I told her that I was 95."

Family who cruise regularly on Celebrity recently asked at the fun factory about our 2 year old. They were told that we can't sign our 2 year old up for the fun factory (which we knew) but that our 2 year old can participate in activities with her 3 year old sister as long as an adult accompanies her at all times. This has been confirmed by others who have sailed.

You might not be able to leave her if she hasn't turned 3 yet but maybe you could ask if you could take her and stay with her so she can attend some of the activities.

TIA.

I don't think I have ever met a mature 3 year old. Would you say she acts more like 8 or 9? In any event you need to follow the rules and not try and sneak your kid into an area she is not old enough to be in. That is sending her a very poor message.

I found this by the way which confirms what we were told - someone had recently posted the Summit's fun factory dailies - and this is a quote from them:

"Toddlers may also attend scheduled activities for our 3-5 year old age group, Shipmates, provided a parent/guardian over the age of 18 facilitates their participation in the program. Please note that in order to be signed into the Youth Program children must be a minimum of 3 years old and fully potty trained."

I see no reason that your DC couldn't do all the activities that you would like them to participate in provided that someone stays with her.

We are traveling in August as well. Maybe you will be on our sailing.

http://www.sjajg.com/travel/cruise2011/Summit_Schedules.html

I don't think I have ever met a mature 3 year old. Would you say she acts more like 8 or 9? In any event you need to follow the rules and not try and sneak your kid into an area she is not old enough to be in. That is sending her a very poor message.

I guess I should have said mature-for-her-age 3 year old. I do things I'm not "supposed" to all the time, if you followed every rule to letter all the time you'd lead a pretty boring life, no?

Thanks all for the advice. I didn't know she could participate if one of her parents remained with her, we weren't looking for child care, just fun activities for her, so we'll do that.

Can't delay it a week because that's when pre-pre-K starts. And you're SUPPOSED to attend :)

I guess I should have said mature-for-her-age 3 year old. I do things I'm not "supposed" to all the time, if you followed every rule to letter all the time you'd lead a pretty boring life, no?

Thanks all for the advice. I didn't know she could participate if one of her parents remained with her, we weren't looking for child care, just fun activities for her, so we'll do that.

Can't delay it a week because that's when pre-pre-K starts. And you're SUPPOSED to attend :)

We are going end of August maybe you all will be on there with us. We are traveling with a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

Archived