Back from the Legendary Danube - AMA

briody

First of all I am not a great writer like Rachel and Mike but I will answer any questions on this tour. Rachel did a great daily description of our tour. I want to thank everyone on cruise critic who helped me - Mike great reviews and whoever the person was that told me to get the travel wheelchair for my mother-in-law - what a blessing. It was a great cruise and I will definitely take another river cruise. The ship, crew, food was great. Entertainment just okay but most of the time we had such a busy day, I didn't mind it. If anyone has any questions about any of the stops on this cruise and how it worked with the gentle walkers - let me know.

The optional excursions that I did that Rachel did not report about were Terezin, Salzburg and the Weltenbur Danube Gorge tour. Terezin was sad but I was really glad I went. It was the only day of our tour when it poured, which seems appropriate for this tour. Salzburg was a really long day and I don't think I ever want to see Sound of Music again or at least for awhile. The tour operator sang the songs all the time and it did get annoying. The scenery was fabulous the drive up, the Lake District was beautiful and I am glad I did go to the town of Salzburg. It was very crowded so it was difficult going with the wheelchair and my brother in law is a vegetarian so that always posed a challenge but it went well. The Weltenburg Abbey was really nice and the dark beer was the best I had on the trip. I am a beer snob since we have so many great microbreweries in Colorado. The boat ride can be skipped - it was short and just okay to me.

All and all a fabulous vacation. Thanks again for all your help.

Briody;)

Thanks Mike - I really did. In fact I am looking at doing another one in 2013. Was thinking about the Amsterdam to Basil and then to Paris one - we will see.

Peacemkr59 - We stayed at the Hilton in Old Town. There are two Hilton's. I thought this one was centrally located - a short walk into the square. The Hilton was nice - I thought they needed to clean the carpets but that was it. The bed was very comfortable. We ate one night in a vegetarian restaurant called Maitrea. The food was very good but the music was terrible - head banging - repeating the same song - not my style. We also ate at a restaurant called Mlejnice - hard to find but excellent. The price was good too. One day (which I know is the worst thing to do) we ate at the Italian restaurant in the square. My mother in law had to sit right then so we did. The food was good but the price was ridiculous for lunch but paying for the view. Our first night that we arrived we wandered the streets and ate in an Italian restaurant for pizza and it was good. Someone told us about a pizza place right by where they have the flea market but we didn't find that till the last day. They said it was great.

You are going to love Prague.

Briody

We will be doing Paris to Prague on the Amalegro in August. We really enjoyed river cruising and are so looking forward to our trip. We are also looking forward to the wonderful city of Prague at the end of the trip, which we fell in love last time.

Briody - Thanks for your comments about the trip.

Could you give us more details about the Salzburg tour? We're still debating whether we should take it or not. We would be missing the Linz and Passau city tours if we go away all day. Do you think that the sightings during 2 hr drive to Salzburg and back, as well as the tour in town are worth it?

Hi AboutThat,

That is a tough one. Well depends when you are going. It is crowded in the summer. Depends if you also like to shop. Depends if you don't mind the bus drive. My husband falls asleep in a bus so he misses the scenery. I am glad I did it but wouldn't go back. I also didn't like the rushing when we got back for dinner. We had like 1/2 hour to shower and dress. There is alot of shopping in town. Also the famous Hotel Sacher is there too and you may want to go there instead of Vienna for your sache torte. They have outside seating by a river so a prettier setting - unless the construction hasn't stoped. There also was construction going on when I was there. You did stop in the town of Mondsee which was very cute - small and quaint. It had the church that the Von Trapps got married in. You did take one photo stop by the Lake District. The signs for the shops in town are really very nice. I did get some pretty Easter eggs while I was there also. I don't know if I would have felt differently if I didn't have my mother in law with us in the sheelchair. Maybe? The bus ride really was less than 2 hours going - it was about 1 1/2 hours but if you hit traffic could be more. I don't know if I really answered your question but it was a pretty area, but if you want a more relaxing day read Rachels post - she stayed on the ship and we did not.

Mike - really looking foward to what you think of your trip since I am already planning 2013. going to Scotland in 2012 and just doing that on my own.

Glad you made it back safely, Briody. Say hi to your MIL from me.

Reason we did not go to Salzburg was that my husband HATES long bus rides. I would have like to have gone, but that said, we really enjoyed Passau and Linz. Actually would have liked to have been able to shop some in Linz--there are some NICE stores there--and both places, you walk right off the boat and are in town.

briody,

Thanks for your detailed answer aout the Salzburg tour. We are going the first week of September. I'm not sure if it is going to be any less crowded but we don't mind that much. We don't mind the long bus drive either as long as the route is scenic. My mom loves to shop. I think it will really come down to a last minute decision, but I'm leaning towards taking the tour.

"The optional excursions that I did that Rachel did not report about were Salzburg and the Weltenbur Danube Gorge tour. the only day of our tour Salzburg was a really long day and I don't think I ever want to see Sound of Music again or at least for awhile. The tour operator sang the songs all the time and it did get annoying.

The Weltenburg Abbey was really nice and the dark beer was the best I had on the trip. I am a beer snob since we have so many great microbreweries in Colorado. The boat ride can be skipped - it was short and just okay to me."

You are so right about these tours. I thought Weltenburg abbey was amazing but the boat ride was Disney World like. Our friends went to Salzburg and made the very same comment you did. We were on the Avalon Panorama which leads me to believe all the river boats do the same tours.

Salzburg,,been there before anyway,,,and want to do Terezin,,just for history,,,and will skip boat ride,,unless only way to get to Abbey??

Going next May,,,on new ship AMA cello...looking forward to review of that ,,,since premiers in April...one with2 balconies...first time on AMA,,but have been on 4 other lines..:)

• 4 weeks later...

We are going on the Amalyra on August 28. I am also trying to decide about the optinal Salzberg tour, and I think I'm more confused now than ever! Other than the scenery, is there anything there that is worthwhile seeing?

Peacemkr59, We are staying at the Paris Hotel in Prague. It is located in the Old Town, and looks vey neat. It's also well priced, and had good reviews on Trip Advisor. We prefer to stay in more local hotels rather than the chains.

Thanks for the tip about finding restaurants!

We are going on the Amalyra on August 28. I am also trying to decide about the optinal Salzberg tour, and I think I'm more confused now than ever! Other than the scenery, is there anything there that is worthwhile seeing?

Peacemkr59, We are staying at the Paris Hotel in Prague. It is located in the Old Town, and looks vey neat. It's also well priced, and had good reviews on Trip Advisor. We prefer to stay in more local hotels rather than the chains.

Thanks for the tip about finding restaurants!

Irina, I just returned from our trip and I saw the Paris Hotel in Prague..looks to be in a perfect location and the outside did look fantastic!! Have fun..Prague was great!

Archived