Curacao

lakes15

I apologize for deviating from what you specifically asked. However, I want to warn you about a potential pitfall you may encounter in Curacao.

Unless things have changed since we were there, there is a shopping area across a canal from where the ship is docked. Several of us were in this area within about one minute walking distance across a bridge from where we had to catch our tour bus. We started back a few minutes early; however a boat entered the canal causing them to raise a draw bridge which prevented us from crossing the canal without walking a much longer distance. Fortunately, the bridge closed in time for us to catch the tour. But barely.

I apologize for deviating from what you specifically asked. However, I want to warn you about a potential pitfall you may encounter in Curacao.

Unless things have changed since we were there, there is a shopping area across a canal from where the ship is docked. Several of us were in this area within about one minute walking distance across a bridge from where we had to catch our tour bus. We started back a few minutes early; however a boat entered the canal causing them to raise a draw bridge which prevented us from crossing the canal without walking a much longer distance. Fortunately, the bridge closed in time for us to catch the tour. But barely.

Are you are talking about the pontoon bridge known as the Queen Emma bridge that swings open but isn't a draw bridge? I think that is one of the cute peculiarities of Curacao, not a burden. It seems to opens and closes under 5 minutes: I video taped it closing after we sailed in on the Eurodam.

Are you are talking about the pontoon bridge known as the Queen Emma bridge that swings open but isn't a draw bridge? I think that is one of the cute peculiarities of Curacao, not a burden. It seems to opens and closes under 5 minutes: I video taped it closing after we sailed in on the Eurodam.

Probably one and the same, I don't remember. However, I can tell you that everyone with me at the time regarded it as a burden for a few minutes when it nearly caused us to miss our tour bus. The lesson I learned from this is not to cut it so close when going on a shore excursion or when the All Aboard deadline for sailing nears.

While the bridge is open, you can get a free boat ride across the canal. You'll see the boats off to the side of the bridge.

That is true, but it is a walk of a couple blocks to get to those ferry boats. Sometimes it is worth waiting for the pontoon bridge to close again instead of walking in that humidity, especially if you have to walk back to the area near the other side of the bridge.

Curacao is one of my very favorite port stops in the Caribbean.

Archived