Baltic Cruise Review 21.06.11

JONFRO

Baltic Cruise 21st-28th June 2011

Flight & Embarkation:-

Good flight from Heathrow, met at baggage reclaim by Regent Rep & porter who

picked our bags off the carousel for us and took them to the coach (didn't see them again till we were in our suite. Boarding the boat via customs a breeze, however checking in onboard was badly organised and took a long time (didn't inspire confidence for the cruise, however was the only negative point).

Suite:-

Booked deck 8 standard suite GTY. This wasn't assigned until the Friday prior to

departure. To our delight we were assigned Suite 1041 penthouse A, at no extra cost. Although we welcomed the extra space and better deck, we didn't really use the butler to his full potential, unless you are used to having everything done for you, it doesn't come naturally.

Food & Drink:-

Superb!!! not one bad meal, ask and they will arange. Only one thing, what is it about the bacon, so crispy shatters as soon as you touch it, obviously don't have good old smoked back bacon in the states.White wine recomendation with the meals seemed to be always Chardonay which we don't like. However the list of included wines is quite extensive, again just ask and they will supply. The Chillean Sauvignon Blanc was superb, as was the late harvest dessert wine. Dined with Captain one night and had a great Amarone from the conniseurs list (glad I wasn't paying though!!!!).

Staff:-

So many smiles, and everyone spoke no matter who they were. Special mention to Dionne (Cruise Director), Elsa (social hostess) who were excellent and went out of their way to make our cruise special.

Destination's & Tours:-

Helsinki- Did our own thing managed to visit all the main sites. Great market, and don't miss the indoor market just round the corner from main market on the waterfront. Great range of local produce.

St Petersburg- Immigration be prepared a nightmare(I think they have special training on how not to smile and be as miserable as possible). Great city we did 3 tours:- "Highlights of St Petersburg" good tour did what it said.

"Canal Cruise and shopping" OK shopping were taken to an expensive art/craft store.

"Peterhoff pavilions and palace grounds" palace grounds excellent fountains beautiful.

Tallin- got the shuttle bus into town 10mins. Lovely walking around on your own. Cobble streets tough on your feet unless good shoes. Churches boring after St Petersburg. If you decide to climb St. Olav's church tower be prepared, over 200 steps on spiral staicase, however the views over Tallin are amazing.

Visby- Visited on a Sunday so very quite, very easy doing own thing, don't forget the botanical gardens.

Wanemunde- Hidden Gem lovely seaside town, great beach if its hot don't plan anything apart from a day sunbathing on the beach. We did the Steam train excursion which was great. visited a great Monastry and then steam train ride to another seaside resort complete with german punch & judy show.

Entertainment:- highlights were Natures Rhythm, a three peice acoustic group don't miss them.Circue Voyager amazing. Krew Kapers, hidden talent. However all shows/entertainment was to a good standard.

Disembarkation:- well organised, knew exactly where we had to be and by when. However because of flight time ended up kicking our heels in the airport.

Hope you find the above useful, any questions just ask.

Thanks for your report.

LOL about the bacon. I like the super crispy shatters as soon as you touch it kind!

Also agree about Russian immigration agents. I think they must take special classes to appear as miserable and unhappy as possible.

We thought the same about the Russian immigration agents last year. No smiles at all! We tried to converse with them but they weren't going to fall for that. Not sure why they are like that - we're there to put some money into their economy!

Karen

We thought the same about the Russian immigration agents last year. No smiles at all! We tried to converse with them but they weren't going to fall for that. Not sure why they are like that - we're there to put some money into their economy!

Karen

Because the good old days of them getting bribes are over. It used to be a nightmare a couple of years ago visiting Eastern Europe with the custom officials and their shameless shakedowns.

I remember one trip after being hassled for not greasing the palms (a matter of principle of course) and how much I appreciated being an American citizen when I showed my passport and I got a smile and "welcome home" from our custom officials.

P.S. Thanks for the great review.

We did a Seabourn Baltic Cruise a few years ago and spent 3 days in St. Petersburg. I just came away with the impression that the Russian people are just by nature not a happy lot. Must be all those years under Communism. Don't get me wrong. All of our guides were very nice and pleasant people but they certainly do not seem to be a joyful people. Very slow to smile whereas Americans in general are people who are quick to smile and show warmth. Just different strokes I guess.

We did a Seabourn Baltic Cruise a few years ago and spent 3 days in St. Petersburg. I just came away with the impression that the Russian people are just by nature not a happy lot. Must be all those years under Communism. Don't get me wrong. All of our guides were very nice and pleasant people but they certainly do not seem to be a joyful people. Very slow to smile whereas Americans in general are people who are quick to smile and show warmth. Just different strokes I guess.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. Our private guide was a very nice and pleasant person, but most of the rest of the people we encountered in St Petersburg were just not very joyful. Probably a reflection of what they have been through. We have some very good friends who have been doing missionary work in Russia for several years, and their impression is the same.

Thanks, JONFRO, for the review. It was so helpful, since we leave on Tuesday to spend a few days in Stockholm before boarding the Voyager for the Baltics.

I'm concerned about having the 'correct' currency for excursions and purchases. We were advised to get some Swedish currency at the airport when we land, so we'll be able to pay for the taxi to the hotel. We were told (by a Swede) that not all taxis are prepared to accept American credit cards. Were you able to use credit cards for the other ports, or did you need to change money for euros (for example, for the Tallinn shuttle bus)??

Thanks in advance.

Eleanor.

Thanks, JONFRO, for the review. It was so helpful, since we leave on Tuesday to spend a few days in Stockholm before boarding the Voyager for the Baltics.

I'm concerned about having the 'correct' currency for excursions and purchases. We were advised to get some Swedish currency at the airport when we land, so we'll be able to pay for the taxi to the hotel. We were told (by a Swede) that not all taxis are prepared to accept American credit cards. Were you able to use credit cards for the other ports, or did you need to change money for euros (for example, for the Tallinn shuttle bus)??

Thanks in advance.

Eleanor.

Hi sticher6,

we transferred straight from the airport to the boat so didn't need any swedish kronor, however would be prudent to have some on you, especially if visiting Visby. you do not pay for the shuttle bus in any of the destinations with regent. we spent very little 'cash' whilst ashore max 10 euros in each port on coffee etc. St petersburg all souvenier places accepted euros/dollars/roubles. airport in copenhagen accepted euros/dollars. hope this helps.

anything else just ask.

Our taxis in both Stockholm and Copenhagen took American credit cards, and this was a few years ago. I would expect they still do, though last time in Copenhagen, I ran into trouble because my credit card did not have a chip and pin. Apparently they are phasing out the magnetic reader cards in Europe. Fortunately our hotel was able to process my card, or we would have had a problem.

Archived