Azura Vs Ventura

bogofman

Having just returned from Ventura we are now considering trying Azura next year.

Does anyone have any thoughts on comparisons, I know they are basically the same layout.

We really liked the large size of Ventura and the feeling of not being crouded. With so much choice for entertainment and dining.

We are considering tring the Baltic, but it looks like one one visit from Azura and non from Ventura :-(

We LOVED Azura - more so than Ventura to be honest. She has so many choices that suited us

I'd be interested to know the areas in which you felt Azura scored more highly than Ventura. I'm not disagreeing with your assessment - I haven't been on Azura so I don't have a view. But I'm always interested in hearing the views of people who have experienced both ships in a comparison.

First of all, we have only been on Ventura for two short cruises - and we liked her a lot. However, we liked the "feel" of Azura more and the "look" of her internally as well. We also found her crew far more friendly and accommodating.

We enjoyed the Sea Screen and the Retreat despite all the negative comments. We absolutely LOVED the alternative dining choices on Azura, even more than those on Ventura, especially Sindhu and we chose to eat there and in the Glasshouse on many evenings - in fact we didn't even go into the main dining room as we enjoyed all the many alternative venues.

It's hard to put into words exactly what else we liked, we just liked her that bit more than Ventura. But that's not to say we wouldn't go on Ventura - because we would.

We have been on Ventura/Azura too and liked both, but Azura is our favourite. We just love the Glass House and it is my favourite bar of any cruise ship we've been on. We also love XVII and it just goes to show you don't need a celebrity chef's name behind a select dining venue to have a great restaurant. It is shame that Azura doesn't have the covered swimming pool though.

We just love the Glass House and it is my favourite bar of any cruise ship we've been on.

I agree - it's truly fab and the crew working in there are second to none - as is the Peller Ice Cuvee :D I felt obliged to buy a case once we got home :D

Having cruised on both ships, Ventura last November and Azura in March, I preferred the Ventura. The dress code on Ventura was less formal, there were no semi formal nights, just formal and smart casual. I also liked the Beach Hut on Ventura. That aside both ships are very similiar and we had a great time on both ships.

We have been on Ventura/Azura too and liked both, but Azura is our favourite. We just love the Glass House and it is my favourite bar of any cruise ship we've been on. We also love XVII and it just goes to show you don't need a celebrity chef's name behind a select dining venue to have a great restaurant. It is shame that Azura doesn't have the covered swimming pool though.

The lack of a covered pool on Azura is a bit of a deal breaker for us- who, at Carnival, planned that for a ship sailing from the UK much of the year?

Let's hope the planners of the new P&O ship will have more sense!

Jo.

The lack of a covered pool on Azura is a bit of a deal breaker for us- who, at Carnival, planned that for a ship sailing from the UK much of the year?

Let's hope the planners of the new P&O ship will have more sense!

Jo.

It's to accommodate the sea screen, presumably - that blocks the place that sliding roof mechanism would go.

Perhaps this is part of the reason why Azura is doing a world cruise in a couple of years? It removes her from the UK and Europe for the whole of the late winter thus alleviating the disadvantages of her setup and allowing her to be used in a way that plays to her strengths.

They are very similar. I prefer Ventura but my hubby prefers Azura. I think I would choose Azura on a 'cold' cruise and Ventura on a hot one... But would happily spend a month or two on either!! ;)

BnBx

Ventura would be my preference. Azura last october and Ventura June 2008 and Dec 2010

Azura dislikes:

Noisy seascreen

Lack of space on deck for sunbathing due to the Retreat

The Retreat being another money spinner for P&O

No covered pool on a cold day

Tables for 2 in MDR too close together

Ventura is far from perfect either, but I just felt that I liked the layout a bit better - even though they are almost the same.

If I get a really cheap price for Azura then I will go on her again.:)

Remember - it's the passengers who make a cruise good or not so good!!!

I hope the cruise you choose will be full of nice people.

Caryl

Ventura would be my choice. More spacious, crew more friendly, better decor, nicer bars and eateries, covered pool, no fee paying Retreat, only 2 dress codes. Also don't like the fact you can't walk all around the prom deck on Azura and also the top deck due to extra cabins with balconies and spa treatment rooms with balconies.

We prefer Ventura,would cruise on either without any qualms but there were a couple of things on Azura we did not like. Firstly the Seascreen, which to us was just an unwanted noiese during the day, when it sis not seem to be playing anything worthwhile. Secondly, we did not like the Retreat as it was chargeable, and also the fact that the area around that pool was out place to sit on Ventura on sea days. To balance things up we preferred the dining options on Azura esp. 17 which we adored.

But on balance would choose Ventura.

We have just cruised on the Ventura, and are booked on the Azura later this year.

So I am interested in your thoughts too, specially around the three dress codes

We find the three dress codes a hassle. People generally looked smart on the smart casual nights anyway so we felt a semi formal eve to be an bit of a pain in terms of packing. Also, on Azura the semi formal wasnt enforced anyway which just made it seem even more unecessary. I think it underlines P&Os continuing marketing for Azura, trying to make it appeal to a different market, the more established cruiser, than its identical sister. They really are so similar apart from the clientelle.

We have been on both and preferred Ventura. We liked Ramblas much better than the Glass House, which we thought soulless. We also much preferred the decor in the buffet. The Beach theme was much more cheerful than the rather dull Italian effect on Azura. The Seascreen on Azura is good though, but pity it is at the expense of a covered pool. They really need to find a way to have both!

Never been on Azura, but have sailed on Ventura several times (my favourite ship) Quite honestly, I am not inclined to sail on Azura as all the changes from Ventura are to my own mind detrimental. Outdated dress codes, seacscreen blaring out all day, pub bar reduced to fit in more cabins, pay extra Retreat inplace of public area. No covered pool. No thanks!!!!

Never been on Azura, but have sailed on Ventura several times (my favourite ship) Quite honestly, I am not inclined to sail on Azura as all the changes from Ventura are to my own mind detrimental. Outdated dress codes, seacscreen blaring out all day, pub bar reduced to fit in more cabins, pay extra Retreat inplace of public area. No covered pool. No thanks!!!!

Absolutely agree. Having been on both, Ventura wins hands down.

Archived