Question on docking in Hawaii

twinkle toes

Hi. My DH and I are taking a cruise on the Golden Princess over thanksgiving to Hawaii. I was wondering if anyone could tell us which side of the ship is facing the islands when they dock at the various ports? We want to choose the side of the ship that faces the water the most times that its in port. Anyone know?

You only dock in Honolulu and Kauai, not at Lahaina or Kona. If you go to Hilo, you dock there.

I wouldn't select a cabin on a cruise like this based upon docking location. You are on the ship 15 days, but only docked about 16 hours (not counting starting and finishing the cruise).

Docking side is frequently a last minute decision, based upon the port, tides, the schedule and a number of other variables.

I was on the Golden in January. We docked port side in Hilo and starboard side in Honolulu. Missed Nawillilli on Kauai due to high winds, so I can't help you there. Lahaina is a tender port with water on both sides.

Be aware though, that even if your balcony is on the water side while docked in port, you are not looking out over the open ocean. You will be looking into the harbor area of the port.

I don't know if the Golden does a Napali coast sailby in Kauai.

The Golden does not normally do a sailby of the Na Pali Coast. The sailing I was on did, though. We were unable to dock in Nawillilli harbor due to high winds, so the Captain cruised around the whole island instead.

Archived