Practical Questions about QM2 Tipping

bk19712000

Hi Folks,

For a first timer like me, you guys are such a great source of information and I am so glad to have read all of your posts in advance of our first crossing on QM2 in August.

I am sure you are thinking 'Oh no! Another newbie thread about tipping!!!' but let me reassure you that I have read as many threads as I can find about tipping on Cunard/QM2, and have already come to my own conclusions about whether I should tip extra and in what circumstances.

However, I would be really grateful for your input on some practical questions that I wasn't able to find the answers to already. Assuming that I will be tipping extra (i.e. in addition to the $11pppn automatic service charge), can you please let me know if there are any conventions about when and how to tip? Specifically:

For our Waiter (we'll be in the Britannia Restaurant)

• Assuming good service, is it normal to leave him/her something every evening? Or do most people normally give whatever they feel is appropriate for the week at the end of the trip?
  • Should I hand it directly to the waiter? Or leave it on the table as we leave?

Cabin Steward

• Again, do most people leave something every day, or at the end of the trip? Is it normal to hand it to the cabin steward personally, leave it in an envelope in the room, or to go to the Purser's Desk and ask them to add extra to the auto-tip?
  • In some posts on CC I have read people say things like "Our cabin steward arrived within 5 minutes after we embarked and I tipped him/her $XX straight away". Do people who do this also typically give the steward an additional tip every day?

Sommelier

• Do people normally give them something every time they open a bottle of wine, or is it more normal to tip the sommelier at the end of the crossing? If I decide to tip each evening, do I give it to them after they have poured the wine? At the end of the meal?

And finally who else generally receives tips?

From what I've read, it's clear that most generally tip the above people, but I have seen no reference to conventions about other situations. Is it normal to tip people who serve you breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea or just dinner? If servers at other meals are tipped, do most people tip the same amount that they do for their dinner waiter at each meal?

Thanks very much in advance.

Kevin

Generally we tip discretely at the end of the voyage. Never daily or leave money on the table. The dining venues are not a commercial restaurant (well Todd English is!). The whole voyage is hopefully gracious and staff is non intrusive. Whomever you tip will take care of those who help him serve you.

Enjoy:)

B.

There is no need, or expectation, to tip each night. If you wish to tip over and above the auto-tip than it's usually done on the last night.

We tipped the cabin steward, the sommelier and all the waiters. In terms of handing the money over, I rolled it up and passed it to them within the palm of my hand. I suppose I did that because I wasn't really sure if it was frowned upon or not (by other staff watching) and so I wanted to be discrete.

I certainly would advise you against leaving it on the table.

We also tipped on the two occasions we used room service - only a couple a dollars. These were the only tips that were not handed out at the end of the voyage - for obvious reasons.

So - do not tip every night. Tip on the last night and tip all the people you've listed.

I was in the Grills, so the waiters are the same for all meals, however I understand that this is not the case in Britannia. I would expect then that you only tip your evening waiters who are the same each evening. Others can clarify that point for me.

If you tip soon after you embark, you will be in the minority as most people do not do this.

I always take some thank you cards with me and put a tip in them at the end of the cruise. You are correct with the people who normally get the tips but I have always found someone outwith the normal scene who has been special and give them something as well.

Enjoy your ruise.

Billy.

I'll voice some dissent regarding the sommelier. Unlike the other people mentioned, every interaction with the sommelier has an accompanying service charge in addition to any share of the auto-gratuity they might be entitled to.

I put the tip in an envelope (available from the Purser's Office) and hand it directly to the person on the last (or second to last) night of the cruise. I also offer my hand, thank them for their service and tell them how much I enjoyed the time on board. Generally I tip the waiters and the cabin steward but there have been times when I tipped others.

I was in the Grills, so the waiters are the same for all meals, however I understand that this is not the case in Britannia. I would expect then that you only tip your evening waiters who are the same each evening. Others can clarify that point for me.

Is this correct? I was under the impression that you have the same waitstaff every evening in Brittania...

One of the more pleasant things about Cunard ships is that service people do not have their hands out for each and every service. I choose to leave the auto tip on so that anyone who occasionally, but not regularly, does me a service can share in the pooled gratuities.

To recognize the people who serve me almost daily, I bring along blank envelopes and cash. On the last night I write their first names on the envelopes. In that way I can discretely vary the amount according to the level of service. In my opinion a stateroom steward/stewardess should be tipped at least as much as one would a chambermaid in comparable hotel accomodations, and probably more since hotel chambermaids don't have to clean salt water spray off a balcony.

I always take some thank you cards with me and put a tip in them at the end of the cruise. You are correct with the people who normally get the tips but I have always found someone outwith the normal scene who has been special and give them something as well.

Enjoy your ruise.

Billy.

In the past I have always asked for envelopes from the Pursers' Office for our tips at the end of our voyage. What a lovely idea to use thank you cards, I will buy some to take on our next trip. Thanks!

I was in the Grills' date=' so the waiters are the same for all meals, however I understand that this is not the case in Britannia. I would expect then that you only tip your evening waiters who are the same each evening. Others can clarify that point for me.

Is this correct? I was under the impression that you have the same waitstaff every evening in Brittania...

The waiters are the same each night in Britannia. I always give whoever I tip cash in their hand, no need for envelopes really.

I was in the Grills' date=' so the waiters are the same for all meals, however I understand that this is not the case in Britannia. I would expect then that you only tip your evening waiters who are the same each evening. Others can clarify that point for me. [/quote']Is this correct? I was under the impression that you have the same waitstaff every evening in Brittania...
Every night you have the same waiter, but for breakfast and lunch your Britannia waiter will vary as will your table (and tablemates).

I have used the envelopes which are in the folder on your desk but I also purchase a few thank you cards at the dollar store and depending on the circumstance add some money to it or just give them the card with a note added.

Linda

:pif you've spent any time in the spa or at any of the exercise classes, etc., a tip is appropriate, and from my own experience, appreciated.

another person whom we tip wll be the waiter in the commodore club [or similar] whom we have trained to have our martinis served just the way we like them each evening before dinner.

:pif you've spent any time in the spa or at any of the exercise classes, etc., a tip is appropriate, and from my own experience, appreciated.

Why? :confused: I've no doubt that it's appreciated but you have paid for the spa and any treatments you got there. They will already have added 15% service charge to your bill. You must be getting fantastic treatment to make it worth more than that! :eek:

I totally agree about a tip in the Spa. You are paying for what you get. A service charge of 15 percent is added. Anything else makes you look . . . . Why, oh why, are you thinking about MORE ON TOP OF THIS? These people are well-paid professionals!

The 15% service charge is only levied when a service is performed, a day pass does not attract the extra bit.:)

The 15% service charge is only levied when a service is performed, a day pass does not attract the extra bit.:)

That could well be because they are not actually doing anything to warrent an extra charge! (I'm sure that if they thought they could get away with an extra charge they would :rolleyes: ). That is why I included the word treatments in my reply.

Surely most people just pay the service charge, and figure they're done, save for obvious services like room service and spa services. I like the automatic charge, and wouldn't like to go back to traditional tipping.

I'll voice some dissent regarding the sommelier. Unlike the other people mentioned, every interaction with the sommelier has an accompanying service charge in addition to any share of the auto-gratuity they might be entitled to.

On the QM2 last year, the sommelier was the most ungracious, miserable, condescending sod that you could met. Just because I drank beer and the others on the table drank water, it was all he could manage to speak to me. It was all I could do not to give him some 'tips' of my own.

Archived