Is really dressing up out of date? - considering beaded gown

mrstlt

I found a stupendous black beaded gown - simple, floor length, v-neck, no sleeves. I really love it but am hesitant if I am going to be overdressed on formal night. DH is considering renting a tux even.

It's our first cruise and it is the Celebrity Constellation to the Caribbean. Will we be too overdressed?

Celebrity is less casual than other lines like Royal or Carnival, so you will be fine, perhaps even the norm! I certainly do not think that you will be overdressed at all. I've seen women in much more flamboyant or dressy things than you desribed on Carnival, so don't worry. Wear your fabulous dress and have a GREAT time :)

Dressing up is certainly not out of style, and the majority of the people onboard Celebrity will do it -- to varying degrees, of course. The boards will give you the impression that everyone is a complete slob with an I've-paid-for-this-cruise-just-don't-look-at-me-if-you-don't-like-it attitude, but in real life most people do dress up.

Sounds just like the gown I wore on our DCL cruise last April, except not the V neck. I wore it to Palo on our 5th anniversary. I got alot of compliments. Although, there were two couples in Palo were the ladies were giving me, how should I say it, less than friendly looks!!!! Oh well. We will be cruising in '07 on RCCL and I plan on wearing it there too!!!!

I don't have many opportunities to dress up like that, so if the opportunity comes along, I take advantage of it!!!! I enjoy dressing up.

The only thing that would stop me from taking the beaded dress is the WEIGHT! They weigh a ton, and if you are flying you will have to take that into consideration, if you do not want to exceed your weight allowance . As for Celebrity, it is my favorite cruiseline and you will find that almost everyone makes the effort and dresses appropriately.

Have a great cruise.

Dressing up is certainly not out of style, and the majority of the people onboard Celebrity will do it -- to varying degrees, of course. The boards will give you the impression that everyone is a complete slob with an I've-paid-for-this-cruise-just-don't-look-at-me-if-you-don't-like-it attitude, but in real life most people do dress up.

Well I never meant to give that impression but it does seem with each cruise I take more and more people do not "dress" anymore but you stilll see people dressed up in the beautiful gowns and tuxes.

I am never quite that elaborate as the gown described but I do like to dress up and what is so strange it is fellow cruisemates who did not bother to dress who compliment me with this wistful sort of voice and tell me how nice I look. I did have a woman tell me once that she did not bring anything dressy because friends from work who cruised alot told her "no one did that anymore on Carnival only the nicer lines still did that." (this was last yr. on Miracle) She was disapointed she had not brought anything more dressy-as she saw most still dressed.

I say no matter what line you are cruising-go ahead and dress-you will look great-gets lots of compliments-and will also make a great portrait. I am sure you will look very beautiful.

The heck with them if they can't take a joke! That's what I say. If you look good in the dress and feel amazing then you should wear it. No one is going to say "boo" about you being too formal.. Now if you showed up in Daisy Dukes :)

Wear the dress, feel like a million and make everyone jealous.

Hi:) I just returned home from sailing Century last week. We had a wonderful table and all of us ladies "dressed up"! And LOTS of other folks dressed up too.

Your dress sounds lovely~wear it with pride:)

Archived