which cruise should we select?

We want to plan a Baltic cruise for summer 2012. My ideal itinerary would include Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I would prefer to see other European ports and skip Russia but I have not been able to find my ideal itinerary. Copenhagen and Oslo are essential and the only trip I can find that meets my minimum criteria is the Emerald Princess. We have cruised on Princess to Alaska and the trip was wonderful so I have no objection to going on Princess again but wish there was an itinerary that was different. Any suggestions?

Cunard include Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm in their Baltic cruises. I've recently returned from a Baltic cruise with Cunard which included those ports.

For next year I can find:

8th May 2012 and 29th June 2012 - Queen Victoria 14 nights

Itinerary:

Kristiansand, Oslo, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg, Tallinn and Zeebrugge.

There's a Baltic cruise on the Queen Elizabeth 13th July 2012 including Copenhagen and Stockholm but not Oslo.

Another possibility is to find a cruise that includes two of the cities and either fly to the third city either before or after your cruise. We were on the Regatta last year which included Copenhagen and Stockholm. We found reasonable flights (around $75 USD) on SAS from Stockholm to Oslo. Pay attention to the port times in Oslo as often that city is quite short and the times are not conducive to good touring. Another option is an overnight ferry. We had thought of that but the air was cheaper. Sometimes you have to be creative with your plans.

Hope this helps.

Pearl

We want to plan a Baltic cruise for summer 2012. My ideal itinerary would include Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I would prefer to see other European ports and skip Russia but I have not been able to find my ideal itinerary. Copenhagen and Oslo are essential and the only trip I can find that meets my minimum criteria is the Emerald Princess. We have cruised on Princess to Alaska and the trip was wonderful so I have no objection to going on Princess again but wish there was an itinerary that was different. Any suggestions?

Tell us more on why you want to skip Russia?? St. Petersburg is so super spectacular with its art, architecture, culture, charm, etc., etc. With most cruise options, the question is whether to do two or three days in St. Petersburg. Tallinn is also a super surprise that we loved so much. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? How much of it in a leisurely style versus fast-paced? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests. Copenhagen and Stockholm as both wonderful. We liked Oslo, but it is not as historic and charming as Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 17,489 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,580 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Our Baltic cruise is still our number one favourite. All the ports are outstanding. You may have your own reason for skipping St. Petersburg but it was a highlight for us.

What about the Grand on July 7th next year. It has the 3 ports you mentioned and more. We have actually reserved this cruise as it looks like an excellent itinerary.

Archived