Trivia Onboard

msk68

Have there been notebook cheaters:(

Trivia on board Infinity in SA this past January and a woman pulled out her I Pad and started to look up the answer to the question!! :( We asked her to put it away and told her this was NOT the way to play Trivia!! Unbelievable!!!! LuAnn

Explain "Progressive Team Trivia"

We've only seen this on transatlantics. In addition to the regular trivia, there's one time each day that's "progressive" or "cumulative". On the Eclipse last year, the young man who ran it was fabulous. He created his own questions and developed his own answering systems. In this case, he graded the score sheets himself. We accused him of having a sadistic streak but the reality was that he was very good at it.

We played trivia on Celebrity for the first time on our Panama Canal cruise with our usual travel mates and trivia partners. Never again. First, the "hosts" were so uneducated that not only did they not know the answers but they could not pronounce some of the correct answers. They were reading what someone else wrote. It was embarrassing.

We've seen this more times than we can count. It's awkward when you have to explain the question to the person running the game.

Trivia on board Infinity in SA this past January and a woman pulled out her I Pad and started to look up the answer to the question!! :( We asked her to put it away and told her this was NOT the way to play Trivia!! Unbelievable!!!! LuAnn

On our first transatlantic (on Princess) some guy brought his laptop to the progressive sessions. Some people pointed him out to the host and he put a stop to it.

We have a good time playing trivia and have met some really nice people doing it. If some people need to cheat to get a key chain, I guess that's just another metaphor for life :rolleyes:

We sailed on Connie last September and Celebrity were definitely aware of the cheaters and were trialling new questions and new rounds of questions.

One particularly memorable round was naming collective nouns of animals. These were not common ones and everyone scored zero! No doubt that's one which will not be repeated.

I have heard of people sitting through a whole trivia with the same questions as yesterday and not telling the host. As they used to say at school, when you cheat you are only really cheating yourself...

However, our response is usually "Darn it! We heard that before - what was the answer???"

You probably heard us saying that too (lol). What makes us even madder is we give the same wrong answer we did the time before! I think we finally know that Snow White was the first full length animated film after answering Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia a couple of times.

We were on the Baltic cruise May 22-June 3 and got Stephanie, too. If she gave you the same quiz we got, our "field" did better--the winners got 8 out of 20. I think we got five.

Our team was very good at coming in second. Not that we cared because, if we won, we usually gave our prizes away. We came into the final progressive trivia two ahead of the next team. This was a team that won a lot of them (fair and square) and we have a history of tanking at least one day and hadn't yet. Ironically, the questions were probably the easiest we had had all cruise and we got 18 out of 20 to win. The other team got 18 out of 20, too.

As for the cheaters, they are out there. How much pleasure can you get for winning a key chain by cheating? Most everyone there knows you cheated so you can't even claim "bragging rights" and you sure won't get any respect from the others. All it does is ruin the fun for everyone.

There was one fellow who was a serious record collector. He would run the table almost every trivia on music. It got to the point that people just wouldn't bother to come.

Tucker in Texas

We sailed on Connie last September and Celebrity were definitely aware of the cheaters and were trialling new questions and new rounds of questions.

One particularly memorable round was naming collective nouns of animals. These were not common ones and everyone scored zero! No doubt that's one which will not be repeated.

I have heard of people sitting through a whole trivia with the same questions as yesterday and not telling the host. As they used to say at school, when you cheat you are only really cheating yourself...

There was a group of serious (being kind here) trivia players who did this. We walked in a little too late to play, but heard the same questions as the day before. No one playing said a word. Pretty sad.:confused:

Another time they asked a ton of very difficult questions. We were allowed to grade our own. Amazing, one group got 29 out of 30!:rolleyes:

There was a group of serious (being kind here) trivia players who did this. We walked in a little too late to play, but heard the same questions as the day before. No one playing said a word. Pretty sad.:confused:

Another time they asked a ton of very difficult questions. We were allowed to grade our own. Amazing, one group got 29 out of 30!:rolleyes:

When we realized that a quiz was the same as one we had had previously on the cruise, we did bring it to the attention of the host. We got several "dirty" looks (lol).

I will say one thing, though. The trivia players on Celebrity were pretty polite towards the host(ess) on all three of our cruises this year. On Royal, they really get nasty sometimes arguing an answer. At times, I thought we were seconds away from them calling security.

We graded our own on the Eclipse but on the Constellation B2B, we traded papers. I don't think anyone cheated, though, that graded their own papers.

Tucker in Texas

Unfortunately, the Connie Activities Staff still does a Trivia regarding the names of groups of amimals. It is still painfully difficult, although I think some teams got an answer or two during my recent Connie cruise.

We've only seen this on transatlantics. In addition to the regular trivia, there's one time each day that's "progressive" or "cumulative". On the Eclipse last year, the young man who ran it was fabulous. He created his own questions and developed his own answering systems. In this case, he graded the score sheets himself. We accused him of having a sadistic streak but the reality was that he was very good at it.

:rolleyes:

2theship, I'd be interested in knowing who ran the Progressive Trivia on your TA Cruise. I wonder if he was on the Connie prior to the Eclipse.

The most creative Trivia scoring system I've encountered was run by CarlPucl, a top notch Activity Staff Member. The players could decide the points they wanted assigned to each question based on how sure they were of their answers. He kept track of the scores and actually did research to ensure there were unique, challenging questions.

Thanks.

2theship, I'd be interested in knowing who ran the Progressive Trivia on your TA Cruise. I wonder if he was on the Connie prior to the Eclipse.

The most creative Trivia scoring system I've encountered was run by CarlPucl, a top notch Activity Staff Member. The players could decide the points they wanted assigned to each question based on how sure they were of their answers. He kept track of the scores and actually did research to ensure there were unique, challenging questions.

Thanks.

Yes, indeed - it was the same guy! In addition to his excellent trivia games, over the course of the crossing, he did a remarkable presentation on the Titanic. It's a personal passion of his and he had studied the subject in depth, putting it into the context of the time and attitudes of the day. The sad news is that last fall's transatlantic was his last cruise, he had decided to leave the sailing industry. It's too bad, he was a tremendous asset to Celebrity.

Yes, indeed - it was the same guy! In addition to his excellent trivia games, over the course of the crossing, he did a remarkable presentation on the Titanic. It's a personal passion of his and he had studied the subject in depth, putting it into the context of the time and attitudes of the day. The sad news is that last fall's transatlantic was his last cruise, he had decided to leave the sailing industry. It's too bad, he was a tremendous asset to Celebrity.

Thanks so much for the reply.

I had heard that Carl left the company and was going to the Toronto area.

His departure is a great loss to Celebrity, and most of all to us passengers. He will be missed.

I wish him well in what ever he chooses to do.

Team trivia is a great way to meet lots of different folks on board. Some people like to try to keep the same team throughout, especially if they are successful. But I like to meet different people. A good strategy is to try to make a team with members from different countries and generations. That gives a broader knowledge base. If the cruise staff is sharp, they will develop questions that are fair to the demographics of that particular cruise.

Archived