Morning dash Civitavecchia to FCO

mikewrit

• We are scheduled to dock at 5 a.m. at Civitavecchia and understand carry-your-own passengers typically hit shore by 8 a.m. Anyone know how long it takes Romecabs to get from the port to the airport on a Tuesday morning? Is there any quicker way?

A door-to-door car service is absolutely the fastest way.

Assume that the trip will take about an hour, then be pleasantly surprised if they can do it in 50 minutes.

Odds are that 8 AM would be the late end ... the first folks carrying their own stuff off will probably be off the ship by 7 AM.

Scheduled flight is t 11 a.m. We are presently arranged to share a Romecab with another couple whose flight out is at 1:30 p.m. They are worried about having to hang around the airport so long. We are worried about hitting a snag in the process that will keep us from making our flight. What would world travel be without such anxieties?

Scheduled flight is t 11 a.m. We are presently arranged to share a Romecab with another couple whose flight out is at 1:30 p.m. They are worried about having to hang around the airport so long. We are worried about hitting a snag in the process that will keep us from making our flight. What would world travel be without such anxieties?

Hmm..if the couple complains about having to wait extra couple hours at the airport, I am not sure it would be a good idea to share the ride. Make sure to be picked up no later than 730am by Romecab. I saw a review earlier stating the family walked off the ship at 715am and got picked up by Romecab at 730am. It took them one hour to get to the airport and by the time they finished all the check in and security process, they had some spare time left but really not that much time left before boarding. So the earlier you could get to the airport the better! Can you carry your own luggage off the ship?

I agree that you really should not be sharing with this couple unless they are willing to get to the airport early - and really only a couple of hours early. Time for a coffee and to read one or two chapters of the book they will not have had time to read on the cruise. When it comes to getting to the airport it is your arrival that has to take precedence.

I agree that you really should not be sharing with this couple unless they are willing to get to the airport early - and really only a couple of hours early. Time for a coffee and to read one or two chapters of the book they will not have had time to read on the cruise. When it comes to getting to the airport it is your arrival that has to take precedence.

Ditto! Personally I think an extra 2.5 hours wait is really not that bad, but of course others might feel completely different about this. Sometimes you have to wait at airports even longer if there is any delays. Our family travels pretty frequently and we always try to be prepared for the worst. Yes your arrival has to take precedence!

P.S. In regard to the review I mentioned earlier--their flight was scheduled at 1130am. Yours is even earlier so make sure you get off the ship early.

Rome is a VERY busy airport. When we disembarked Rome last fall, when booking flights we called Princess and their guidelines were no flights before 11:30. As others have said, you need to get over to the airport as soon as you can get off and clear customs. Then go right in, check the departures board and find the check in area for your flight. The lines to check in are usually quite long and slow-moving-that is what takes so long.

• 3 weeks later...

We had an 11am flight out of FCO.

Booked a transfer with http://www.romecabs.com

(a family of four booked with a family of 3) 7 total.

RomeCabs was very reliable.

We used them 3 times on our trip.

We walked off the ship very early, without our luggage.

Luggage was in the holding area.

RomeCabs was waiting for us.

The trip to FCO took about an hour.

Highly recommend.

The fee was very reasonable, since we were a group of 7.

It does take about an hour to get from the port to FCO. The Italians are typically not in a hurry so checking in and getting through security at the airport can take some time. Allowing a bit of extra time is the best option.

On balance, missing a flight is a WHOLE LOT WORSE than waiting an extra 2.5 hours in an airport. If it were me, and the other couple did not clearly understand and agree that getting to the airport in plenty of time for the earlier flight was the top priority, I would not hesitate to try to find alternate transportation partners.

We have used Rome Cabs, too, and they have been great. We are using them again this year for transportation to/from the port.

Also, we actually did not have any delays, etc., at FCO last year. Maybe it was luck, but it all went smoothly and we didn't have any horrible lines or delays to deal with. Of course, it's better to be safe than sorry and get there early.

I would not recommend an 11 AM flight. The European departures are usually closed 30 min prior to departure . . . 10:30AM. Rome is a busy cruise ship port especially in season. IMHO you need a later flight. Anything is possible . . . sometimes . . . and sometimes it's not. Why risk cardiac arrest? You'll have had a nice trip why risk a too early flight? Just my opinion. Let the ship transfer you and relax.

Regards, Richard

I would not recommend an 11 AM flight. The European departures are usually closed 30 min prior to departure . . . 10:30AM. Rome is a busy cruise ship port especially in season. You're assuming everything goes on schedule like clockwork. Good luck! IMHO you need a later flight. Anything is possible . . . sometimes . . . and sometimes it's not. Why risk cardiac arrest? You'll have had a nice trip why risk a too early flight? Just my opinion. Let the ship transfer you and relax.

Regards, Richard

We had an 11:50am flight. We had decided against the 11:05am but could have made it. I may have missed it in your earlier post, but are you on an american airline that will necessitate going through Terminal 5?

Direct private pick-up is definitely the way to go. We did self disembark and were off and walking through the tent to find our driver in 10-15 minutes. We had an 8am pick-up scheduled but were early by 20-25 min. Our driver from Rome in Limo was waiting for us early and we headed on to the airport. It took over an hour just to process through Terminal 5. And we got there before the long lines from buses and trains.

Like I said, we could have made the 11:05am flight but I'm glad we had the later one. If you set up private transport with a reputable company and schedule a 7:30am pick-up you should (hopefully) be fine. But that is if you do self disembark and the ship docks on time etc.

And the Rome airport is not so bad to wait. There's lots of shops to look around. I actually wish we had more time to explore.

I would be worried about taking this 11:00 am flight.

But I would be even more worried about sharing with the couple who may drag their heels. You need to be rockin & roll'in.

If you decide to still share with them, and they are not at your designated meeting area at the prearranged time...leave without them, don't wait!!

Archived