9 Beaches..beach facilities opened to Public

Maple Sugar

My dh and I have been to Bermuda with our kids, but the rest of our extended family has not....we will all be there this August....do you think Horseshoe Bay is a "not to be missed" beach or do you think this beach is a better choice?? Thanks.

we went to 9 beaches about 3 years ago. Very disappointed. Took the bus from dockyard, then had a very long walk with two children in the heat. If you are in St. George, go to Ft St. Catherines beach, near tobacco bay. However, if you have not seen horshoe bay it is a must and is 100 times nicer than 9 beaches.

Just returned from Bermuda.

After seeing this article we intended to go to 9 Beaches. Got to Bermuda and EVERYONE said...NO!

First Day we did a snorkel trip, Day 2 Tobacco Bay, Day 3 we stopped and looked at Horseshoe, then went to Church Bay for great snorkeling.

We felt like we HAD to see Horseshoe. Yes, it was beautiful, but was it any prettier than any of the other Bermuda Beaches? NO. Bigger, more facilities yes, but I loved the novelty of the small bay type beaches. So different from anything in the US.

There is a shuttle bus that folks use. I think it was like 4.00 I used it to go to the golf course. It might be good for going to 9 Beaches as that was one of the stops on our way. Maybe someone with more info can come in on this subject.

My husband plans to play golf. What golf course did you go to on this shuttle?

Hi Sugar (sorry, couldn't resist),

Yes, saw that too - good for them to keep the facilities in use until the redevelopment can start.

Here's where it is - look for Daniel's Head at the far left of the map:

Daniels-Head-map.jpg

As you can see, it's MUCH closer to Dockyard than HSB - less than half the distance, but it's a good ten minute walk from the main road.

You would use the same bus as if you were going to HSB or the other South Shore beaches.

Have Fun!

OOOPS, I meant THIS is an interesting map! Can you tell me where to get a copy of it?

Sorry I did not get back here sooner.

Noone was very specific about why not to go to 9 beaches except to say that the other beaches, Horseshoe, Churchs and Tobacco (where we did go) were better choices.

I never got the feeling that there was a negative reason just no real reason TO go there.

Technically it is walkable, but you're looking at about a forty minute walk on roads without sidewalks. I used to live about ten minutes away from Daniel's Head, and made a walk from Boaz Island in about thirty minutes. I was glad I did it, but never did it again.

It's quite a lovely area if all you're looking for is some relaxing beach time. It doesn't compare to the South Shore beaches at all, but I still have a soft spot for it. The 9 Beaches site used to be the Canadian Military Base, and a number of the resort buildings were used by the military. I have a lot of fond memories of that entire area.

Fond memories indeed..we used to be invited there for Canada Day.

The beach didn't look too spectacular in those days,but maybe it is nicer now.

However HSB and Stone hole bay and Jobson's cove(all walkable from HSB) are just lovely little places and well worth the extra distance.

Is the courtesy van to 9 beaches making regular runs to the dockyard and back???

I doubt it because the hotel closed last year. The property owners are just allowing the public access to the beach as a courtesy.

When the hotel was open they had a shuttle because the expectation was that people who came there to swim would spend money while at the property. There's nothing to spend money on now.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a picture from August 21. I enjoyed this beach - it was small and uncrowded. There were never more than a dozen people on the beach. There were a few boaters who would anchor just off of the beach and swim in. There's a small concession stand with local music (radio with speakers, not live music) and restrooms. You can rent basic beach chairs (nothing fancy) for $2.

We took a cab from the Dockyard and it cost $17. This was on a Sunday so there was a premium charge for the cab; it would cost less any other day. It was about a 15 minute ride. When we were ready to leave the woman at the concession stand called for a shuttle bus to pick us up. This cost $3 per person. I would not recommend walking. It's about four miles from the Dockyard, but as others have noted, the roads are narrow with no sidewalks.

There is a facebook page with a lot of pictures. Search "Sandy Bottom Beach Park".

710813439_BermudacruiseAugust2011064.jpg.014af3c0d1d77598d80c4c2d4f74282f.jpg

• 6 months later...
I can't even go to page 3. For some reason I can't go past this page (2) so I will be interested to see after I post this if I can see past page 2

Well, for starters, there is no page 3 on this thread ...which explains why you can't go to it. (actually how many posts are on one page of a thread is a function of how you've set it up on your User Control Panel...I have mine set to 40 posts per page...I think you can set your preferences to as few as 10 posts per page)

Archived