Consent to travel letter question

CatlinSTJ

First off - I have the notarized letter from my ex, so no worries there, plus I have full custody. But, our daughter is 17. While I know they could ask for it, has anyone actually been stopped with a child that old?

My divorce was final just a couple months ago and DD (16) and I just got back yesterday from a cruise to Alaska. We were able to board and also drive into Canada with no problem and no request for any documentation. I was concerned about it since my ex was out of town and didn't provide me a letter before he left (as much my fault as his).

DD and I also did a Mexican Riviera cruise in August and before going I learned that the Mexican government required a notarized letter from the absent parent. However, I was never asked for it.

There's always a chance they'll ask for documentation, but I believe the older the child, the less the scrutiny.

First off - I have the notarized letter from my ex, so no worries there, plus I have full custody. But, our daughter is 17. While I know they could ask for it, has anyone actually been stopped with a child that old?

I've brought my at the time my 16 and then 17 yo nephew on two cruises, both times had a letter. Never once had to show it. On the first cruise I was about to show it to the lady checking us in and she said to hold onto to it, I didn't need it with her but for emergencies.

On the third cruise he was with us he had just turned 18 a few months before, so was nice to not have to worry about a letter.

I bet if you happen to board in a place where there's been problems they ask, but the rest of the time they don't, especially when the "child" is almost an adult and could speak out if s/he was being abducted.

I bet if you happen to board in a place where there's been problems they ask, but the rest of the time they don't, especially when the "child" is almost an adult and could speak out if s/he was being abducted.

That was my thought. I figure when she's just a few months shy of 18, what's the point in trying to abduct her now? :p

Archived