Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

I have been back home for a week and wish I was back in Alaska on the AMSTERDAM. It was a great cruise.

We are also home a week now. We enjoyed this cruise so much, that I'm finding myself looking to Alaska again. Would love to see more of interior Alaska, combining that with a cruise. This 14 day cruise was magical.

Chris

I have been back home for a week and wish I was back in Alaska on the AMSTERDAM. It was a great cruise.

Alaska does that to you!! We will be boarding the Amsterdam on Friday. This will be our sixth two week cruise in that part of the world, first time out of Seattle. Thanks for the reports and observations. It gives us a broader idea of what to look for.

Nice to hear how much you miss your cruise. Makes me all the more excited. I have to say after reading quite a few of the reviews of returning cruisers from this ship, I have to wonder if they were all on the same ship. So many very different experiences.

Do you recall if the TVs on the Amsterdam have the inputs where you can attach your camera to view your photos?

I am not that deft when it comes to those things. I even need someone to guide me through transefering the pictures from my camera to my computer.

We took this trip last year. HAL had a free shuttle to take those who had mobility issues in to town. Those who could walk were requested to do so or were requested to allow those who needed the ride to go first.

~TC

It was the same thing this year. I chose to walk into town.

We are also home a week now. We enjoyed this cruise so much, that I'm finding myself looking to Alaska again. Would love to see more of interior Alaska, combining that with a cruise. This 14 day cruise was magical.

Chris

We chose the right year to take that one as the AMSTERDAM went up on the "inside passage" which was quite delightful.

Alaska does that to you!! We will be boarding the Amsterdam on Friday. This will be our sixth two week cruise in that part of the world, first time out of Seattle. Thanks for the reports and observations. It gives us a broader idea of what to look for.

Have a great cruise.

Himself. I'm so glad you felt a real connection with your Alaskan cruise and the "Amsterdam" . Its a bit of history, a bit of adventure, a bit of luxury and a trip to a place where things are 'different' [ My kids loved the fishing on the Kienai and we love a train trip up to Fairbanks/gold mining] Of COURSE you'd love to be continuing your adventure!

But you have more adventures ahead of you JUST around the 'corner' -maybe on a different ship or a new itinerary. I just KNOW you are thinking/looking ahead -MORE than behind...Just waiting for the "next time".

Life is GOOD :) Anne

I am not that deft when it comes to those things. I even need someone to guide me through transefering the pictures from my camera to my computer.
The Amsterdam has a great tech support/computer guy named Frank who is happy to show people how to do that. He will answer all sorts of questions about cameras and computers.

For those cruising on the Amsterdam, he can usually be found in a computer lab room on the port side of deck 5 behind the elevators directly in front of the main dining room. He also offers classes there that are listed in the daily schedule.

Hi, Father-

I missed seeing you this year. I was in China while you were floating about Alaska. I hope that your cruise was wonderful. I have a cruise planned for December, so I will be back on the boards.

I hope you are well-

Tracie-Lynn

p.s. I still think you have the coolest job EVER!:)

Tracie:

My friend from the Rotterdam days last Summer. Triacie: This was the BEST Alaskan cruise I have ever been on and in my opinion the AMSTERDAM is the best ship in the fleet--if you will the whole DAM fleet. I will go again at the end of January and early Februay.

You say you were in China--how was it? I was in China nine months after the incidents in Tianamen Square and it was tense. The only place I did not notice the Tension was in Shanghi.

Father, I have a question about Sunday Mass on the Amsterdam. Are both the Saturday and Sunday Masses the Sunday liturgy?

On Saturday, I do the "anticipated Mass" at 5:00 even if we are at Sea. On your particular cruise you are in Port on Both Sundays and so I did the Interdeminational Christian Service at 4 PM and then Mass for the PAX at 5:00 PM.

I know you must be quite anxious as you sail on Friday and I wish I was returning.

It has been four weeks since I went through the Seymour Narrows and I still miss and treasure that cruise. It was a very memorable one and I am glad I was able to post for the reading pleasure of so many. I would recommend this cruise to anyone and someday I might do it again.

This was the BEST Alaskan cruise I have ever been on and in my opinion the AMSTERDAM is the best ship in the fleet--if you will the whole DAM fleet. I will go again at the end of January and early Februay.

Does that mean you will be on a segment of the World Cruise in 2012??? If so it would be great meeting you. I have enjoyed your post so much.

donna

It has been four weeks since I went through the Seymour Narrows and I still miss and treasure that cruise. It was a very memorable one and I am glad I was able to post for the reading pleasure of so many. I would recommend this cruise to anyone and someday I might do it again.

And in 4 weeks we'll be on that cruise :) And thanks to your post about the Seymour Narrows we'll be sure to check the time for it on our cruise so we don't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

We made it back safely last night after a wonderful, wonderful cruise!!! This will be a long remembered vacation. Everything went well...the flights, the weather, the excursions, the ship, etc. We are so glad we chose this cruise and this timing. We couldn't have been happier. Thank you Father for all your tidbits that helped us prepare well for this cruise. God bless you and happy and safe travels ahead for you!!!

We made it back safely last night after a wonderful, wonderful cruise!!! This will be a long remembered vacation. Everything went well...the flights, the weather, the excursions, the ship, etc. We are so glad we chose this cruise and this timing. We couldn't have been happier. Thank you Father for all your tidbits that helped us prepare well for this cruise. God bless you and happy and safe travels ahead for you!!!

I was hoping you would give us a review. By the way, I had correspondence via e-mail with the priest who was chaplain for the cruise. You were blessed rto have this fine man as a Chaplain. He and I were on the same trip to Medjugorje during Holy Week of 1998.

I was hoping you would give us a review. By the way, I had correspondence via e-mail with the priest who was chaplain for the cruise. You were blessed rto have this fine man as a Chaplain. He and I were on the same trip to Medjugorje during Holy Week of 1998.

I am debating whether I will do a review. There have been quite a few reviews of the Amsterdam cruise, so I am not sure if it is worth it at this point in the season. Maybe I will feel differently in a few days. We got home late Friday and reality has struck with the cleaning, cooking, laundry etc. Today was back to the Soup Kitchen, sorting three weekends of donations at our church and now home to catch a breath before meeting some people tonight that we have not seen in over 30 years!!! I will think about it. I did journal each day, so the info is together. It really was a perfect vacation. I can't think of one thing that I would have changed, except perhaps a little more energy for my husband. He was peetering out after some of our tours. I was ready to keep touring, but he got a bit tired some days and wanted to head back to the ship before I was ready. However, all of our priorities were met and I just can't imagine a better cruise/vacation than we had. This was our first real vacation alone since were got married 36 years ago, so it was special in many ways.

We did enjoy the priest on our cruise very much. He gave very thoughtful and meaningful homilies. We are so grateful that Holland America makes it a priority to provide clergy on their cruises. Sure beats trying to find a church in port that has Mass times that work with the port time. I understand HAL is the only cruiseline that does this. Definitely a plus for us!!

I am debating whether I will do a review. There have been quite a few reviews of the Amsterdam cruise, so I am not sure if it is worth it at this point in the season. Maybe I will feel differently in a few days. We got home late Friday and reality has struck with the cleaning, cooking, laundry etc. Today was back to the Soup Kitchen, sorting three weekends of donations at our church and now home to catch a breath before meeting some people tonight that we have not seen in over 30 years!!! I will think about it. I did journal each day, so the info is together. It really was a perfect vacation. I can't think of one thing that I would have changed, except perhaps a little more energy for my husband. He was peetering out after some of our tours. I was ready to keep touring, but he got a bit tired some days and wanted to head back to the ship before I was ready. However, all of our priorities were met and I just can't imagine a better cruise/vacation than we had. This was our first real vacation alone since were got married 36 years ago, so it was special in many ways.

We did enjoy the priest on our cruise very much. He gave very thoughtful and meaningful homilies. We are so grateful that Holland America makes it a priority to provide clergy on their cruises. Sure beats trying to find a church in port that has Mass times that work with the port time. I understand HAL is the only cruiseline that does this. Definitely a plus for us!!

I hope you do give us a little bit of a review. It might help me relive the experience through the eyes of someone else on the cruise at a different time. I am glad Fr. Al Winshman did a good job on the ship. By the way could you see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage the day you were there?

I hope you do give us a little bit of a review. It might help me relive the experience through the eyes of someone else on the cruise at a different time. I am glad Fr. Al Winshman did a good job on the ship. By the way could you see Mt. McKinley from Anchorage the day you were there?

I overheard someone say they saw it in the morning. However, we did not. Our bus driver for our PWS tour said if it was out on our way back, he would take us to the lookout, however, when we got on the Anchorage side of the Whittier tunnel the weather went from sunny to cloudy, so no sight of McKinley. We did see her in 2008 in all her glory!!!! It was indeed, and amazing and formidable site. Were you able to see her?

I overheard someone say they saw it in the morning. However, we did not. Our bus driver for our PWS tour said if it was out on our way back, he would take us to the lookout, however, when we got on the Anchorage side of the Whittier tunnel the weather went from sunny to cloudy, so no sight of McKinley. We did see her in 2008 in all her glory!!!! It was indeed, and amazing and formidable site. Were you able to see her?

Yes, I saw it from the Crows Nest and then the tour I went on went to Earthquake park and we could clearly see it from there also. It was a great sight. Sorry you could not see it. That and watching them tie the mooring lines at Homer Spit with all the birds there are two sights from that cruise that are etched in my memory.

Although I still haven't put anything together, several people on our roll call have posted wonderful reviews of the cruise and ports. Check it out beginning with post 773:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1313810&page=39

Hopefully these helped you relive your cruise. ;)

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the reviews very much. I am a bit disappointed that next year the ship will head up to Ketchikan on the West Side of Vancouver Island rather than the Inside Passage as she has sailed the past two years. The outside can be rough at times.

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading the reviews very much. I am a bit disappointed that next year the ship will head up to Ketchikan on the West Side of Vancouver Island rather than the Inside Passage as she has sailed the past two years. The outside can be rough at times.

Yes it can get rough. My husband will attest to that!!!

I just got done loading 2600 photos onto my computer. Now I have to sort through them and do something with them. I will likely make a book using an online company like My Publisher.

Still debating the review. So much is going on right now and when things settle down for me the Alaska cruising season will be over, so not sure how beneficial it will be. However one night I may just feel literate and start writing. ;)

We are going to have a hello and a good bye party for my son and daughter on Labor Day weekend. My son got a job in CA and this will be his good-bye party. My daughter goes to grad school in Delaware and will be heading home to be with the family before her brother leaves. For her it will be a hello party. Her friends and family will have the opportunity to say hello to her as we don't see her often. She had actually bought a plane ticket to come home and had sworn her brothers to secrecy. However, when I saw I could get her a decent ticket with our miles, I asked her to come home. She ended up telling us she had the ticket so I wouldn't keep bugging her. I am so excited to have her home, but sad my son will be so far away. We live in MI. So, that is the focus of my next week and a half.

Archived