Tis Himself reporting from the Amsterdam

Himself

Thanks for posting this. We are looking at taking this cruise next summer. We just got back from 2 weeks in Alaska using the Ferries. I hope you do something in Kodiak as it is such a neat place.

Just about finished with my Alaska Fudge, that stuff is so decadent. :D

Moose with 2 cubs? LOL.... Bears and Moose living together? Sorry, could not pass that one up.

Awaiting each new adventure.....

Father,

If you have some spare time and are so inclined, do you think you could find out from a knowledgable staff person on the ship if passengers are allowed to bring food off the ship? This topic has been discussed often and there are some who insist you are not allowed to take food off the ship at the ports unless it is prepackaged. When I ask them to please send me a link to where this policy is stated, I never get a response.

On our Alaskan cruise in 2008 the only day I heard an announcement about not bringing food off the ship was on our last day when we were disembarking in Seward. I never saw it on the daily newsletters or on any signs as we were getting off the ship.

I would really like to find out the answer to this question. I am not one to violate rules. However, I would like to know if there truly is a ban on bringing food off the ship in Alaskan ports. If there is not a ban, I would like to order sandwiches from room service so we can take them off the ship. We don't do this to save money, but rather time. We love to go, go, go when we are in port so we can see all there is to see. If we don't have to waste precious touring time to grab a bite to eat, we could definitely see more of Alaska.

You are NOT to bring food off the ship when disembarking. I will check on this with one of the security people. I know that when we disembark they have dogs sniffing for contraband. Now I did see someone getting off today and eating a banana. I know if I pulled that in Seattle, Ft. Lauderdale or Vancouver I would be in a bit of trouble.

By the way the sailawy was beatiful and the scenery is just heavenly--and so was the sourbrattan. Had dinner with two delightful people from Australia

Himself.

You are NOT to bring food off the ship when disembarking. I will check on this with one of the security people. I know that when we disembark they have dogs sniffing for contraband. Now I did see someone getting off today and eating a banana. I know if I pulled that in Seattle, Ft. Lauderdale or Vancouver I would be in a bit of trouble.

By the way the sailawy was beatiful and the scenery is just heavenly--and so was the sourbrattan. Had dinner with two delightful people from Australia

Himself.

Somehow had once posted about how beautiful the sailaway was from Homer, and I did write it down on my calendar notes for the trip. Glad you liked your Sauerbraten. Before I became a vegetarian, I would have enjoyed it too. ;)

As for the food, someone who was on the Amsterdam earlier this season also mentioned that they did not hear any announcements until they returned to Seattle where at that time they were told not to bring any food off the ship. I am really looking forward to the response you get from security. I was trying to figure out who would be the best person to ask, and security does sound like the best choice. Will be anxious to hear the response you get. Thanks for being willing to check this out for me. Like I said, if it is truly not allowed, I will follow the rules. However, I have been very confused about this and would like it cleared up. You are very kind to be willing to look it into it for me.

You are NOT to bring food off the ship when disembarking. I will check on this with one of the security people. I know that when we disembark they have dogs sniffing for contraband.

In April,2010, We took the Costa Atlantica, Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City.

At our first stop ,Port Canaveral, local security personnel with K9 sniffers, and police officers, greeted passengers as we disembarked.

A treasure trove of food of various description was confiscated....many folks were headed to Cocoa Beach for picnics .

It was certainly intimidating...but I can guarantee that for the remainder of the 2 week cruise, no one seemed intent on 'smuggling' any items off the ship.

In April,2010, We took the Costa Atlantica, Fort Lauderdale to Quebec City.

At our first stop ,Port Canaveral, local security personnel with K9 sniffers, and police officers, greeted passengers as we disembarked.

A treasure trove of food of various description was confiscated....many folks were headed to Cocoa Beach for picnics .

It was certainly intimidating...but I can guarantee that for the remainder of the 2 week cruise, no one seemed intent on 'smuggling' any items off the ship.

That was a lesson hard learned but obviously well taught. Sounds like everyone got the message--loud and clear. Thank you for sharing it.

We are now docked in Kodiak. It is 7:15 AM on Sunday morning and it was rather cloudy and we sailed in. I mention this because this is the first day that the Sun was not shining as we awoke and I suspect many are still not awake.

I will have more later.

Tis Himself signing off

I know where it is, but I have not been through it. I am planning on another trip to the Raptor Center and am planning on Buchardt Gardens in Vicoria.

I have not been to the Raptor Center, but I have been to the Gardens. They are beautiful.

The Bishop's House is interesting. The way that it was built was something. and the chaple was beautiful. Maybe your next trip there.

I walked into Kodiak this morning--about a mile from the ship. It is a delightful little town.

It was the First Russain Capital of Alaska. I found the Russian Orthodox Church but not the Catholic Church. There is quite a fishing industry in Kodiak and serveral fish processing plants there. I brought my umbrella--just in case--but as usual, when I bring an umbrella the sun came out. We let loose our mooring lines and took off for Hubbard Glacier. We should arrive there by two P.M. Tomorrow afternoon.

I had the non-denominational Christian Ecummenical Service at 4PM and Mass at 5PM.

Someone from the Cruise Critic said "Father Himself, what is your real name?" First time someone on this cruise recognised me.

All in all it was a lovely day in Kodiak and I saw no Kodaik bears. They respected my territory and I respected their territory.

I will report in tomorrow.

Himself

This report is coming from the Amsterdam someplace on the Gulf of Alaska

... I found the Russian Orthodox Church but not the Catholic Church...
Hi Father, I'm enjoying your Alaska adventure. Did you enter the Russian Orthodox Cathedral? We plan to take a peek inside when we're there, but probably not during Sunday liturgy service. Apparently the nearby St. Hermann's Seminary is also worth a visit.

Thanks for your reports and I hope you continue to enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the reports.

I feel as though I am taking this cruise all over again.

I am sure that as others take this cruise and I read about it, it will be a reliving experience for me. This has been a great cruise.

Thank you from me as well. We just did the 7-day Oosterdam cruise n May, and now I really want to do this trip.

I have certainly enjoyed this trip and I highly recommend this trip. The time has really gone by fast. I am very glad I chose to do this cruise. I would hope to do it again in some future year.

Himself

This morning we have had some rain. I have not seen the Sun today. The Captain just gave the "Report from the Bridge" he announced that we would be taking on the Bay pilot and Rangers as we entered the Bay around 1:30PM--it is now 1:03 PM so I will be heading to my room and bundeling up and heading out to the outside decks for the journey to Hubbard's Glacier.

Himself

Besides enjoying your tour report (we'll do that trip beginning Aug. 19), I chuckle every time I read your signature, and think of Blackie Ryan. :D

You will be starting your tour the day before my birthday. Who is Blickie Ryan?

We got very close to the Glacier and it was an awsome experience. Did see some calving and it was worth the patience. I still love Glacier Bay but for calving, Hubbard Glacier cannot be beat.

Therw was too much cloud cover to St. Mt. Elias but the Glacier did not disappoint. Wish you could have been here to watch it with me. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer them.

Now we are on the way to Sitka.

Himself

P.S. Near the end of Dinner we had a school of Dolphins performing outside the dining room window.

Father,

If you have some spare time and are so inclined, do you think you could find out from a knowledgable staff person on the ship if passengers are allowed to bring food off the ship? This topic has been discussed often and there are some who insist you are not allowed to take food off the ship at the ports unless it is prepackaged. When I ask them to please send me a link to where this policy is stated, I never get a response.

On our Alaskan cruise in 2008 the only day I heard an announcement about not bringing food off the ship was on our last day when we were disembarking in Seward. I never saw it on the daily newsletters or on any signs as we were getting off the ship.

I would really like to find out the answer to this question. I am not one to violate rules. However, I would like to know if there truly is a ban on bringing food off the ship in Alaskan ports. If there is not a ban, I would like to order sandwiches from room service so we can take them off the ship. We don't do this to save money, but rather time. We love to go, go, go when we are in port so we can see all there is to see. If we don't have to waste precious touring time to grab a bite to eat, we could definitely see more of Alaska.

While I was in Hubbard Glacier I was out on the Forward Bow of the ship and I was talking to a knowledgable Security Person I have gotten to know and I brought up the question and he claified that one CANNOT BRING FOOD OFF THE SHIP.

Himself

While I was in Hubbard Glacier I was out on the Forward Bow of the ship and I was talking to a knowledgable Security Person I have gotten to know and I brought up the question and he claified that one CANNOT BRING FOOD OFF THE SHIP.

Himself

Thank you very much for asking. I still don't understand why they don't post this and make it common knowledge. It would suck to be fined for something you didn't know was banned. If I had not read this forum, I would have no idea you shouldn't bring food off the ship. Thanks again. Glad to hear you are having such a great time.

The Hubbard/Glacier Bay debate is always an interesting one. After reading these boards now for about 5 years, I have come to the conclusion that the split is about 50/50. I loved Glacier Bay and can't imagine the experience of Hubbard topping it. I will likely agree that Hubbard glacier itself is far more impressive than any glacier you will see in Glacier Bay. However, I just can't imagine liking it better. However, I will reserve my final opinion until I get to see it.

This is the first year I have read of so many people reporting they saw no or very little calving at Hubbard Glacier. Many have said the calving at Glacier Bay was far better this year. I wonder what is it about this year that has stalled the calving of Hubbard.

Archived