Help, please? Where does this mean?

24butterfly

******** THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE TO YOUR ITINERARY ********

Please be aware that the port call to Naples, Capri has been cancelled and replaced with a port call to Naples, Salerno on the same day.

PLEASE NOTE: Itinerary changes are at the sole discretion of the cruise line and are outside the control of Costco Travel.

We thank you for your understanding and hope you have a fantastic cruise!

I called X and all they said was that it was at the "Salerno pier". I looked on a google (Salerno, Naples)---and found out that it was 30 mi from the town of Naples---is it the port of Salerno? ANybody have any ideas? THank you!

Some of the Naples stops have been shifted to Salerno. Feedback on others threads has been that Salerno is actually a more scenic and desirable location. Most local tour companies appear to be willing to pick up at either port for excursions. I think Celebrity changed some because the Naples port was rather busy with several other ships some days.

Thanks to both of you. I called X and they said that (or the lady said)---that it was NOT the Port of Salerno--it was the TOWN of Salerno. And that we'd have access to the TOWN of Salerno. SOunds like the PORT of Salerno to me. SO what's the difference? SHe said we wouldn't have access to Capri, but would be docking in the same place as we would regularly dock if we were going to Capri. So then why don't we have access to Capri if we're going to be in the same spot? She put me thru to Customer Svce, who was then CLOSED.....

So then it's the PORT of Salerno--right?

The names used for the ports are often misleading, as in calling Livorno by the name Livorno (Florence) when they are miles apart, or Warnemunde (Berlin) which entails a two hour train ride. In this case, Salerno is a port about 30 miles south of Naples. You can see the town and its port here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salerno

The only explanation I can come up with for what the agent told you is that perhaps they will not be offering excursions to Capri from Salerno? Check the shore excursion offerings for your cruise.

When we sailed into the port of Naples in September 2008, it already had a huge reputation for muggings, pick pockets and other crimes. My supposition is Celebrity made an executive decision to utilize a more tourist-friendly port and made the change to Salerno.

You'll be closer to Pompeii and Sorento, while being in a safer area, which should be a win-win for Celebrity and you.

Thanks to both of you. I called X and they said that (or the lady said)---that it was NOT the Port of Salerno--it was the TOWN of Salerno. And that we'd have access to the TOWN of Salerno. SOunds like the PORT of Salerno to me. SO what's the difference? SHe said we wouldn't have access to Capri, but would be docking in the same place as we would regularly dock if we were going to Capri. So then why don't we have access to Capri if we're going to be in the same spot? She put me thru to Customer Svce, who was then CLOSED.....

So then it's the PORT of Salerno--right?

Sounds like she may not know what she is talking about, because if you were docking at the actual Naples Port, there are lots of ferries over to Capri couple times an hour, so unless the island of Capri was shut down, you would be able to get there. More likely (and looking at other threads) you are docking in Salerno and will have access via tour operators to Naples if you want to by road (about an hour drive).

Personally, every time we have docked at Naples, we take the first transport to Capri or Sorrento.

I really wish the phone reps would be trained to say "I don't know" if they do not know the answer to something rather than to make something up. It seems like for whatever reason they are trained to always provide an answer even if the answer is inaccurate. I for one would much rather have them just be honest and tell me they do not know the answer if that is the case.

Sounds like she may not know what she is talking about, because if you were docking at the actual Naples Port, there are lots of ferries over to Capri couple times an hour, so unless the island of Capri was shut down, you would be able to get there. More likely (and looking at other threads) you are docking in Salerno and will have access via tour operators to Naples if you want to by road (about an hour drive).

Personally, every time we have docked at Naples, we take the first transport to Capri or Sorrento.

I agree with you, that we're docking in Salerno. She said she had done this b4, so I figured that she knew what she was talking about. We're going Jul 18. This would be better for us, if we went to Salerno, b/c there are 5 or 6 giant ships there that day. We have a private xcursion that day (not Capri)---I'm calling X tomorrow to see if I get a different answer--hopefully from someone who knows.

Thanks to all.

If you have a private excursion booked, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Those guides know more about how their local situations are than we do, and probably already know that the port has changed and where they will need to go to pick you up! I would communicate with your local guide, sending a copy of the e-mail you received. Have you signed up for your cruise's roll call? Others on the same cruise as you may have answers to your questions already.

I really wish the phone reps would be trained to say "I don't know" if they do not know the answer to something rather than to make something up. It seems like for whatever reason they are trained to always provide an answer even if the answer is inaccurate. I for one would much rather have them just be honest and tell me they do not know the answer if that is the case.

How about the gold standard response which would be: "I don't know, but I'll find out and call you back." What a concept. Actual customer service. I don't understand why they don't get that you'd be a customer for life if you got this kind of service.

How about the gold standard response which would be: "I don't know, but I'll find out and call you back." What a concept. Actual customer service. I don't understand why they don't get that you'd be a customer for life if you got this kind of service.

That would be even better!

If you have a private excursion booked, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Those guides know more about how their local situations are than we do, and probably already know that the port has changed and where they will need to go to pick you up! I would communicate with your local guide, sending a copy of the e-mail you received. Have you signed up for your cruise's roll call? Others on the same cruise as you may have answers to your questions already.

Not that I know of; it looks like I'm the only one who posted about this......I've already e-mailed our guide seconds after I got the e-mail, am waiting for his response......

Archived