Cost for Wifi on Allure and use of wifi enabled phones

My son has a wifi enabled phone. My husband is due for an update. What will it cost for each of them to have wifi access on the Allure for 7 nights? And will they then be able to communicate via internet phone on the curise. I don't know too much about this technology.

Thanks in advance for any info.

My son has a wifi enabled phone. My husband is due for an update. What will it cost for each of them to have wifi access on the Allure for 7 nights? And will they then be able to communicate via internet phone on the curise. I don't know too much about this technology.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I do not know how wifi-enabled phones work on a cruise ship, but I can give you general wifi information.

You first register on the ship's computers, getting a log-in and password. You sign up for either "charge me by the minute" service or a package of minutes.

These are the prices:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or one of these prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Call your telephone provider for this answer - take notes and names when you do this - if something goes wrong - you have a trail to correct. Way too often folks take the phones and come home to nasty surprises - the data package that comes with your phone is usually useless if you are international - I have ATT and when we go on the cruise ship we have to arrange for an international data package but it can only be accessed when the ship is in port. We have used the wifi feature on our Ipad on the ship and pay the fees same as we would for a computer. The 3G or 4G feature is data and I believe would be charged through the ship's plan. I now leave my iphone at home - the potential bill surprise is just not worth it. I also have been told that it depends on your provider which brings me back to my original statement of contacting the provider for the correct info. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Even if you could, I'm not sure you really want your son to connect to the ship's wifi. If he forgets to turn the wifi off, the phone could stay connected for hours or days. Math comes out to $840/day Yikes!

Rich

My advice? Take the phones, turn them off, lock them in the safe. Buy your son a package and let him use the computers on board AND BE SURE HE IS CAREFUL TO SIGN OFF AFTER EVERY SESSION. Be forewarned that they are very, very slow (think dial-up and then slower).

Archived