Current Captains Con't

I'm curious to who will be the master of symphony

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I would guess Per Kristoffersen of Oasis or Tore Grimstad of Allure could be candidates. Both have many years experience of that class of ship and have been on their ships long enough to be moved. IMHO, I don't think they will choose a Captain that people have never really heard much of (or ones who are used to small ships) so I would rule out a select few already, but you can never tell.

Captain Johnny is very well known, so it wasn't a surprise they gave him Harmony. I can't imagine it being someone totally random for Symphony.

I would guess Per Kristoffersen of Oasis or Tore Grimstad of Allure could be candidates. Both have many years experience of that class of ship and have been on their ships long enough to be moved. IMHO, I don't think they will choose a Captain that people have never really heard much of (or ones who are used to small ships) so I would rule out a select few already, but you can never tell.

Captain Johnny is very well known, so it wasn't a surprise they gave him Harmony. I can't imagine it being someone totally random for Symphony.

Interesting Captain Per is supposed to be our captain on the 8-20-2017 OA cruise. This Cruise has just had its itinerary reversed (2 sea days, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, at sea, Nassau) so it can pick up the Total Eclipse of the Sun on Aug. 21 rather than being docked in Nassau. It would be good to have a good Captain to do the different navigation for that cruise (I think the other good OA captain -- Captain Rob -- will be signing off a week or two before we board.

The 8-20 cruise is now being billed the "Total Eclipse Cruise" with special events, foods, and a yet to be named Headliner. Emails and press releases have been sent out. https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1320/royal-caribbean-sets-course-to-offer-iconic-view-of-historic-total-solar-eclipse/

Interesting Captain Per is supposed to be our captain on the 8-20-2017 OA cruise. This Cruise has just had its itinerary reversed (2 sea days, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, at sea, Nassau) so it can pick up the Total Eclipse of the Sun on Aug. 21 rather than being docked in Nassau. It would be good to have a good Captain to do the different navigation for that cruise (I think the other good OA captain -- Captain Rob -- will be signing off a week or two before we board.

The 8-20 cruise is now being billed the "Total Eclipse Cruise" with special events, foods, and a yet to be named Headliner. Emails and press releases have been sent out. https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/press-release/1320/royal-caribbean-sets-course-to-offer-iconic-view-of-historic-total-solar-eclipse/

Captain Per is good, so he will navigate you guys fine. OA doesn't have a bad team of Captains. :)

This is pretty cool, I hadn't heard about it before now.

This page below is a great resource to the eclipse, no matter where you may wish to view it. Oasis will have to drive north quite a bit to get in the path, then speed back south to get back on schedule.

The Great American Eclipse

Brilliant marketing though! :D

Theron

This is pretty cool, I hadn't heard about it before now.

This page below is a great resource to the eclipse, no matter where you may wish to view it. Oasis will have to drive north quite a bit to get in the path, then speed back south to get back on schedule.

The Great American Eclipse

Brilliant marketing though! :D

Theron

great link Theron, I see I can wait until the 2024 eclipse. It'll pass closer to Michigan that my hubby and I can take a short road trip south to be in the totality zone. That'll be a lot cheaper than being on a ship.

What does "On rotation" mean? Is that their temporary leave?

Wondering if Captain Johnny will be back on Harmony Sept. 3rd? Never had him, heard so much about him.

Started rotation is when they started their stint on the ship. Usually lasts around 10 weeks.

Rotation on Indy, Jewel, Navigator, and date correction on EN

Adventure OTS - Capt Shawn McDuff (started rotation 5-2-17)

Adventure OTS - Capt Thomas Busto

Allure OTS - Capt Ron Holmes (started rotation 6-4-17)

Allure OTS - Capt Tore Grimstad

Anthem OTS - Capt Henrik Loft Sørensen (started rotation 5-26-17)

Anthem OTS - Capt Felix Shrecko Ban

Brilliance OTS - Capt Stig Nilsen (started rotation 5-1-17)

Brilliance OTS - Capt Ole-Johan Gronhaug

Empress OTS - Capt Carl Graucob (started rotation 4-1-17)

Empress OTS - Capt Diego Lombardic

Enchantment OTS - Capt Angel Oviol (started rotation 6-9-17)

Enchantment OTS - Capt Toni Tomljanovic

Explorer OTS - Capt Kjetil Gjerstad (started rotation 5-15-17)

Explorer OTS - Capt Rick Sullivan

Freedom OTS - Capt Espen Been (started rotation 4-9-17)

Freedom OTS - Capt Toni Calne

Grandeur OTS - Capt Thordur Thorsson (started rotation 5-25-17)

Grandeur OTS - Capt Ante Cavala

Harmony OTS - Capt Johnny Faevelen (started rotation 4-8-17)

Harmony OTS - Capt Gus Andersson

Independence OTS - Capt Iv Vidos (started rotation 6-8-17)

Independence OTS - Capt Thore Thorolvsen

Jewel OTS - Capt Dustin Castelsky (started rotation 6-9-17)

Jewel OTS - Capt Lis Thorolvsen

Liberty OTS - Capt James MacDonald (started rotation 4-26-17)

Liberty OTS - Capt Anders Ingebrigtsen

Majesty OTS - Capt Pehr Pehrsson (started rotation 5-8-17)

Majesty OTS - Capt Göran Peterson

Mariner OTS - Capt Claus Andersen (started rotation 4-3-17)

Mariner OTS - Capt Aris Medina

Navigator OTS - Capt Malvin Bardsnes (started rotation 6-8-17)

Navigator OTS - Capt Trond Holm

Oasis OTS - Capt Rob Hempstead (started rotation 5-27-17)

Oasis OTS - Capt Per Kristoffersen

Ovation OTS - Capt Henrik W Loy (started rotation 5-11-17)

Ovation OTS - Capt Flemming Nielsen

Quantum OTS - Capt Charles Tiege (started rotation 5-14-17)

Quantum OTS - Capt Erik Standahl

Radiance OTS - Capt Trym Selvag (started rotation 4-18-17)

Radiance OTS - Capt Sverre Ryan

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Juan Luis Caranti (started rotation 5-15-17)

Rhapsody OTS - Capt Johan Malmberg

Serenade OTS - Capt Krzyszthof Szymkarczuk (started rotation 4-3-17)

Serenade OTS - Capt Tor Olsen

Symphony OTS - Capt Captain #1 (started rotation 9-1-17)

Symphony OTS - Capt Captain #2

Vision OTS - Capt Marek Slaby (started rotation 5-22-17)

Vision OTS - Capt Michael Lindberg

Voyager OTS - Capt Sindre Borsheim (started rotation 4-9-17)

Voyager OTS - Capt Pehr Pehrsson

Jewel OTS - Capt Dustin Castelsky (started rotation 6-9-17)

Jewel OTS - Capt Lis Thorolvsen

Normally how long are "rotations"? I believe they are something like 6 weeks.

In the above example, what are the chances Capt. Dustin will be the master on 8-27-17?

Usually 10 weeks on, 10 weeks off, though this can vary by mutual agreement between the two Captains.

Ah! Ok... thx Bob.

Hmmm... so 10 weeks from 6-9-17 is Aug 11, he won't be on my sailings :(

Met him on Jewel Dec 2015, he's British Columbia born from my gf's hometown, would've been great to meet up with him again. I've never sailed with Capt Lis but read many great things about her here on CC.

Rumors on FB about Captain Ron being one of the captains. I asked Royal, nothing official yet.

fdeaf09186564b9428ed9e6718ca8b1e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As other folks have posted, I assume you mean Captain "Rob" -- there is a Captain Ron Holmes, who is presently on Allure. He was our captain for a few FR sailings.

Either of them would be a legitimate candidate. I cannot imagine it being given to someone who has no experience with the Oasis Class or much on the larger ships overall, so I would personally rule out most of those assigned to a Radiance or Vision Class ship, along with those currently on Empress and Majesty.

Either of them would be a legitimate candidate. I cannot imagine it being given to someone who has no experience with the Oasis Class or much on the larger ships overall, so I would personally rule out most of those assigned to a Radiance or Vision Class ship, along with those currently on Empress and Majesty.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out any of the current Captains simply on the basis of where they are now. Some of those on smaller ships may have significant experience with the larger vessels.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out any of the current Captains simply on the basis of where they are now. Some of those on smaller ships may have significant experience with the larger vessels.

If we are looking at the last 3 new builds and their initial two Captains.

Anthem:

Capt 1 - Claus Andersen (previous ship: Navigator)

Capt 2 - Gus Andersson (previous ship: Quantum)

Ovation:

Capt 1 - Henrik Loy (previous ship: Independence)

Capt 2 - Flemming Nielsen (previous ship: Mariner)

Harmony:

Capt 1 - Gus Andersson (previous ship: Anthem)

Capt 2 - Johnny Faevelen (previous ship: Allure)

So you can see from the pattern of new builds that they have generally picked people already assigned to larger ships to take command of the new builds. There are a few Captains on small ships who I would say are possible (e.g. Captain Trym/Radiance), but it isn't likely that they will hand it to someone that very little people have heard of before. Plus, most of the Vision Class Captains have started as Captain on their respective ship, and it would be unusual to get a new ship so soon.