Shopping near MAya Hotel Long Beach

stingau

G'Day, we have taken the advise of poster's on here and Booked the Maya Hotel Long Beach, We fly into LAX after about a 30hr flight from Australia at about 1330hrs. Time to clear customs say an Hour and then a shuttle to the hotel say another 90 minutes (Saturday Afternoon 9/10/11).

After checking in it will be 1630hrs. We cruise the next day where would be the closet place to get some supplies for the cruise, preferably Saturday after 1630 that is close to the Hotel.

Items required are spray deoderants, sanitiser spray, and cans of soda etc. All the things that you are not allowed to bring on an aircraft. Also maybe a drugstore as the pain relief tablets that we buy over the counter here are not allowed into the USA, (last yr our Panadol or was it Ibrufin was taken from us)

Didnt really want to be running around on Sunday morning prior to boarding.

If my timings seem to be out please advise.

The hotel is close to the port BUT not close to stores!

IF you put the hotel into Google you may be able to see a map to understand what I mean. The hotel is on a piece of land jutting into the bay but separated from the main part of the city. There is a free shuttle that crosses the bridge that connects to the city.

You may have to use it or perhaps your taxi from the airport could stop and wait(more money with meter running)while you shop??

The hotel may have a shop where you can buy those sorts of sundries as well. I have not been there since they changed to a Hilton brand hotel.

Ibuprofen is allowed here in the USA with no prob.

Panidol is a brand of Acetaminophen which is also allowed here(Tylenol) so I have no idea why it was taken?? Maybe they were in liquid form and didn't look like medicine? There should not be any prob with those meds.

Thanks for the advise, but we are getting a shuttle so I doubt the others would want to wait while I go into a shop. And I found out it wasn,t panadol but codiene phosphate that they took. I will have to get a taxi to a store from the hotel, maybe booking this place wasn't such a good idea

:confused:

While Hotel Maya is not right smack amongs the shops and bars or Downtown Long Beach, it is an easy distance to some places where you can purchase the necessities you need.

We have a free shuttle bus that runs down the main streets of the tourist area, called PASSPORT.

2142603510102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

Here is a link to the passport map:

http://www.lbtransit.com/schedules/pdf/34.pdf

Your hotel is towards the bottom left corner.

If you take the Passport C you will loop around, go past the pike (lots of restaurants and small shops), down Pine Ave (more restaurants and shops).

Wal-Mart and Albertson's (a grocery store) are both on the passport route, and you can find all your necessities at either stop. My personal preference is the grocery store since generally you can get in and out of there quicker than at Wal-Mart. OTC pain relief medicines are available at either location. Wal-Mart has an on site pharmacy, and there is a CVS drug store located in the same parking lot as Albertson's.

TO get to either of these locations: Get off the passport bus while on Pine Ave, at 5th Ave. To your right will be wal-mart

2862563460102635822S500x500Q85.jpg

To get to the grocery store, walk past wal-mart and follow the side walk until you are at Long Beach Blvd. Cross the street and enter into the parking lot behind where Starbuck's sits. The grocery store is to the right, the drug store to the left.

To get back to your hotel, either take a taxi, or catch the Passport in front of Wal-Mart. (Taxis are often waiting in this area as well... probably about a $10 taxi ride one way).

PS: from your hotel to Wal-Mart is approximate 5K round trip. An easy distance to most. For me, totally walkable.

The shuttle is easy to use!

IF you bring the codeine in the original bottle and bring the scrip for it then it should be OK.

Here in the USA the original bottle from the pharmacy indicates the scrip if it is not on yours then you need to bring a copy.

Archived