Help!! I need a new camera

I'm also looking to purchase a new point and shoot, my current Sony DSC-H55 needs to be sent back for repairs. I would rather get a new camera and stay away from Sony's. My last two Sony point and shoots just did not hold up and we barely used them. We used them about 4 or 5 times a year. The H55 lasted only 16 months.

I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix S8200, any good user reviews on this camera?

Any other brands and models that I should consider?

I'm also looking to purchase a new point and shoot, my current Sony DSC-H55 needs to be sent back for repairs. I would rather get a new camera and stay away from Sony's. My last two Sony point and shoots just did not hold up and we barely used them. We used them about 4 or 5 times a year. The H55 lasted only 16 months.

I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix S8200, any good user reviews on this camera?

Any other brands and models that I should consider?

We use 2 canons. First is the SX20IS-it is a super zoom so no long lenses needed,has a viewfinder which is important to us (canon now has the SX30 out)

Second is the SD3500 a total touch screen with a fish eye lens(18mm) Its a great camera for carring in your pocket and quick use (its expensive for a little camera, but packs a punch) No viewfinder but the lcd is of such high quality we have had no problems shooting in the sun

These 2 cover the long and short of it for us and they both take 1 color pics and process in camera.

Two different cameras but they use the same mem cards

Thanks for this thread. I wanted a new camera for my Alaska cruise. Canon's have served me well in the past! I was deciding between the sx230 and the 300hs and going back and forth between the two. I ordered the 300hs due to its faster shutter speed, and have time to test it out before we leave next month.

We just got back from a Med cruise yesterday. I used the Sony and it took over 800 fabulous pictures. Especialy loved the panorama in the sail in to Kotor and Venice. We appreciate the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just how "pocketable" is that DSC-HX9V? I believe it is still 'thicker' than the HX5V and 7V - I am so used to slip my trusty old small Dimage X into the pockets of my shorts or jeans ...

And what are your thoughts on the new Canon Powershot S100?

Just how "pocketable" is that DSC-HX9V? I believe it is still 'thicker' than the HX5V and 7V - I am so used to slip my trusty old small Dimage X into the pockets of my shorts or jeans ...

And what are your thoughts on the new Canon Powershot S100?

The HX9V is virtually identical in size to the HX5V with only .2" in (5mm) depth separating the two in depth (grip and lens bump - 16x zoom compared to 10x). Still quite pocketable.

I owned both the DimageX and the HX5V and while the HX5V is a bit larger, the difference in features and performance is a small price in my opinion.

You mileage may vary...;)

Dave

The HX9V is virtually identical in size to the HX5V with only .2" in (5mm) depth separating the two in depth (grip and lens bump - 16x zoom compared to 10x). Still quite pocketable.

I owned both the DimageX and the HX5V and while the HX5V is a bit larger, the difference in features and performance is a small price in my opinion.

You mileage may vary...;)

Dave

Thanks, Dave - and: no argument there!! ;)

Had the good fortune of being able to 'sneak' into a camera store yesterday and hold an HX7V (they didn't have a 9V in stock), so now I know that it is rather much smaller than I thought (and I agree, still quite pocketable).

Have spent some time this morning reading reviews etc on the HX9V and I think I'm getting rather hooked ... (just need to convince DH now ... :rolleyes: )

Do you think there is any danger in supplies of the HX9V being affected by the Thailand floods? (the HX7V I looked at yesterday said 'Made in Thailand') - in that case I might not wait until our March trip to Hong Kong to buy it ...

Thanks - Uschi

Do you think there is any danger in supplies of the HX9V being affected by the Thailand floods? (the HX7V I looked at yesterday said 'Made in Thailand') - in that case I might not wait until our March trip to Hong Kong to buy it ...

The plant that was inundated produced DSLRs, NEX and some lenses. Sony has plants in Thailand that produce other items and while those were not flooded, they have been impacted by the general interruption of the supply chain and inability of workers to get safely to work. I would suggest that if you can get one now, do it.

FYI - I am still using my HX5V as the 24x7 belt camera and have been very pleased with it. If I were replacing it today, I would be hard pressed to find a better substitute than the HX9V for the money. Just my 2¢...;)

Dave

The plant that was inundated produced DSLRs, NEX and some lenses. Sony has plants in Thailand that produce other items and while those were not flooded, they have been impacted by the general interruption of the supply chain and inability of workers to get safely to work. I would suggest that if you can get one now, do it.

FYI - I am still using my HX5V as the 24x7 belt camera and have been very pleased with it. If I were replacing it today, I would be hard pressed to find a better substitute than the HX9V for the money. Just my 2¢...;)

Dave

Thanks again for your input, Dave.

:D Unexpectedly there were no arguments from DH ;), so I intend to put in an order with the camera store tomorrow (public holiday today) - now I can sleep at night ...

Thanks again for your input, Dave.

:D Unexpectedly there were no arguments from DH ;), so I intend to put in an order with the camera store tomorrow (public holiday today) - now I can sleep at night ...

Good news for you! Considering how well you've done with the old X, adding a few tricks like sweep panorama and Hand-held twilight should help you give us some real treats from your travels. Enjoy!

It must be "camera season"! I got a surprise yesterday when Amazon sent me a shipping notice for my pre-ordered Sony A77. I was sure the supply chain problems would push my order out until early next year but it must have already been in the pipeline when the problems started.

Great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Good news for you! Considering how well you've done with the old X, adding a few tricks like sweep panorama and Hand-held twilight should help you give us some real treats from your travels. Enjoy!

It must be "camera season"! I got a surprise yesterday when Amazon sent me a shipping notice for my pre-ordered Sony A77. I was sure the supply chain problems would push my order out until early next year but it must have already been in the pipeline when the problems started.

Great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Thanks for the kind words, Dave and congratulations on your new camera.

Going to pick mine up this morning - just a little excited .... photosmile.gif

Dave

I agree Dave. I have the HX5V and it is a great "Pocketable" camera and video camera. For what it is, it is a great all around camera and like Dave said, if I were to replace it the HX9V would be it.

I just purchased the NEX-5N and am keeping the HX5V as my backup.

:)

Archived