Good People All

I was thinking of all the people who make/made my cruise special. Like the little Chinese girl who was serving coffee to a near empty room took the time, sat a practiced her English with me and was homesick. The two plumbers who made a point of recognizing me and cutting up after I told them they were out of uniform (no crack showing with overalls on). The window washers I teased about making extra money diving off the side of Voyager. Those that are constantly wiping and shining and always smiling. The deck hands who cast us off that I so enjoy watching... How do you say thank you to those on the peripheral of the direct service ??? Any way,,, Well Done My hard working friends...

My guess is that nothing could be more helpful to them and appreciated than a short note to customer services, revealing their name, the time and place you encountered them, and how they provided excellent service to you.

You could even take a small pack of note-cards for just such a purpose. Of course, if customer service gets a dozen from you on one cruise, they may just think you are strange... ;)

Theron

When I meet a housekeeping person while they are polishing the brass or some other repetitive task I thank them for keeping the ship in such good condition for us. Same with the guys in blue coveralls. They are always very pleasant in return and are pretty conversant in English. Being a retired LE/Security person I have an affinity for the security forces and always thank them for being there for (to protect) us. These should not be thankless tasks - please say "thank you" whenever you can!

I really enjoy talking to the ship's crew as they are almost always cheerful and interesting and I pick up a few more ways to say "hello" and "thank you" in other languages. I always ask them about their family and hometown and they really like to tell me of their homelands and I love hearing about them.

I always asked to be called by my first name by everyone and some of the crew will do it while others maintain the "Ms. ____" which is fine if they are uncomfortable with a first-name basis.

I loved your post! I too enjoy speaking to the crew and I've learned a lot of interesting things, like the fact that the stateroom and dining waitstaff work for tips (I've seen this discussed several times here), and so I'm happy to prepay my gratuities and supplement with cash as well. It doesn't matter a whit to me if I never step foot in the MDR, I know someone set a place for me and was waiting to provide great service if I could just manage to show up on time. I am always shocked and saddened to hear about guests who refuse to tip to save a few bucks. I heard one guest say she shouldn't have had to pay for her infant and toddler to sail since they "hardly eat anything". She went on to say how glad she was she didnt have to clean up the mess after both kids got sick! I really don't think job satisfaction alone was enough compensation for her poor attendants. Thank you for the chance to rant...

Archived