Any ideas how to set up on-board spending for the kids?

andyandsue

I read on NCLs website that you can either allow your children to spend or not on your shipboard account. Does anyone know or can come up with a way for the kids have limits? Not that I don't trust my kids, but allowing a 9 and 12 year old in the arcade on their own without a limit? Not something I would normally do. No quarters accepted from what I read, it's all in the card. I'm wondering do they have "debit cards" for the kids that you can load up with money for them, or I am asking for too much, and that is just silly...

Ideas, suggestions, comments? Help!

You can block them from be listed on your credit card account. If you do that, you can then put cash down for them on a daily basis. I have seen amouts mentioned around the $15 range depending on the child. Others have set a cruise total that the child has to budget for himself so if the arcade eats it all in 2 days they don't get any additional money to spend.

If you do a search for children's onboard account you might find some helpful information. Also check out the family cruising section under the "Speciality Cruisers" section on the main page. You might get more ideas there as well.

If you have cash, you can go to guest services and have them add it to the kids keycard. That way you control how much they spend. Some do a daily allowance while some just a larger amount for the whole cruise, so they are responsible for budgeting how much they spend. Obviously, I wouldn't give a Ten year old the same for a nineteen year old.

they DO NOT monitor your kid's card when it comes to the arcade. i had a 13 y/o that went on a cruise with my wife and i a year ago. we went to the purser and deposited $40.00 onto "his" card to be used in the arcade. i specifically asked if the card would prevent him from spending more than the $40.00 and was told that he could not exceed the $40.00. well, when i got my final bill on the last morning i just about went through the roof. the kid had spent close to a hundred dollars in the arcade and when i took it to the purser the first response was nothing more than an apology. after really getting upset and asking for a manager they did discount $50.00 of it. don't for a second think that your kids won't exceed any limits you put on the card. you have to be on top of that problem yourself.

they DO NOT monitor your kid's card when it comes to the arcade. i had a 13 y/o that went on a cruise with my wife and i a year ago. we went to the purser and deposited $40.00 onto "his" card to be used in the arcade. i specifically asked if the card would prevent him from spending more than the $40.00 and was told that he could not exceed the $40.00. well, when i got my final bill on the last morning i just about went through the roof. the kid had spent close to a hundred dollars in the arcade and when i took it to the purser the first response was nothing more than an apology. after really getting upset and asking for a manager they did discount $50.00 of it. don't for a second think that your kids won't exceed any limits you put on the card. you have to be on top of that problem yourself.

Did you detach your children's card from any credit card? Sounds like that is key point. The ship will not allow extra charges if it's just a cash only. Or did you put the amount of the weekly DSC & week spending total on ahead of time? Sounds like you did the entire trip at once if you didn't know this until the last day of the trip. People are suggesting that the OP go daily and place the amount he/she wishes for them to spend per day.

OP I have read this many times on this board that this is the method that most people use with their children, if they wish to give their kids the freedom of their own spending money. You can also double check every morning when you go to put the new daily amount on. When you check in have them set the kids cards up cash only. Then go to the front desk and put their daily limit (and I think you will also have to add their daily DSC per day as well). Good luck.

Got it- at check in, get kids cards that are cash only and then give them their daily "allowance".

I know my kids enough to know that if in an arcade on their own with no spending limit, we will have a "situation". :) They are kids after all.

They won't have much to spend on the days we are in port anyway, so 3 days of cash, not too bad.

Thank you!!

Got it- at check in, get kids cards that are cash only and then give them their daily "allowance".

I know my kids enough to know that if in an arcade on their own with no spending limit, we will have a "situation". :) They are kids after all.

They won't have much to spend on the days we are in port anyway, so 3 days of cash, not too bad.

Thank you!!

LOL not just your kids, I think you probably speak for 90% of kids that age. Too old to do it for them and stand over them, too young to realize the full ramifications ;)

I think you are being a smart parent. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Things that kids can buy onboard: Sodas and non-alcoholic drinks; the stores are open also; I guess they could go to the spa if they wanted--LOL.

I want to echo what others said here--yes, it is efficient to put cash on your children's cards. We did this with four college kids. Not because we didnt' trust them. But so they coudl be in control of their own money and make their own (hopefully) good decisions about how to spend it. Let me say though that it does take a bit of time--of ocurse we had four kids, and then our cards, so it was cumbersome, but it worked.

Just a funny story that I was relating on anoother thread here the other day: when my kids were much younger we went on the Disney cruise and we allowed their cards to be connected to our credit card--our kids were generally very responsible and we wanted them to be able to order a coke each day as a treat if they wished. Planning to set the rules we had no concerns. Well--in the excitement of the day (and it was their first cruise) somehow they managed to go exploring and they saw others using the card and so my son bought a "round" of virgin drinks for his new friends--all 10 of them--to the tune of around $80. He signed and tipped appropriately. We found the slip and realized what had happened--actually it was OUR fault and I had to laugh. But it could have been worse. And our daughter went shopping--she "gave me" a gift of a mug and a photo album (both very nice might I add). Well--a learning experience for all!! :) Gotta love the resourcefulness of Kids!

What kind of things besides the arcade are onboard for kids/teens to spend money on?

About the only thing they couldn't buy would be alcohol. I can imagine one of my kids sitting down at the Internet Cafe:eek:.

My kids had x amount of money to spend on whatever they wanted, but they did not have their cabin key activated for any purchases. If they wanted something DW or I had to get it for them, including arcade games. The two youngest played a couple of games but decided to use the rest of their money for other things.

• 1 month later...
LOL not just your kids, I think you probably speak for 90% of kids that age. Too old to do it for them and stand over them, too young to realize the full ramifications ;)

I think you are being a smart parent. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. That is exactly the issue. At 9 and 12 they are old enough to be on their own in the arcade without us standing over them, but not exactly ready for charging privileges. I can 100% see my kids doing what yoyo said. I round of drinks for everyone and gifts for mom! LOL

I did buy my kids a soda card, so they can drink as much soda as they want for the week without even thinking twice. A surprise vacation treat for them. That, and the plate of chocolate covered strawberries I ordered. :)

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Maybe it's me, but if we don't teach our children control and responsibility in their younger years, then they are doomed to loose control once they get their first credit card! The biggest debt in credit cards is in young adults who receive their first credit card. Our 11 DS has been given full spending charges since he was 9. We were VERY specific on what he could and could not charge. One of the rules was to ask how much he could spend in the arcade each day, and not once did he go over. He also, on two occasions, bought a "round" of drinks for two friends he made. He told us right away and had the signed receipt to show us. It has been very clearly explained to him that if he ever abuses these rules, it will be his last cruise! P.S. We are leaving tomorrow on HIS 17th cruise!

Thank you. That is exactly the issue. At 9 and 12 they are old enough to be on their own in the arcade without us standing over them, but not exactly ready for charging privileges. I can 100% see my kids doing what yoyo said. I round of drinks for everyone and gifts for mom! LOL :)

Actually, my kids are almost exactly this age. And on a ship, they are always with me or with the kids club. So they still don't have charging priviledges. They have been cruising for over a decade, been on numerous ships and are old pros. But they are still kids.

I never load up their cards. When they go to the arcade, they go with dad. :p

On the Jewel 2 weeks ago we traveled with my best friends who had their 2 grandkids with them. I told them not to attach the kids cards to their credit cards and to put cash down for them. They did all they were instructed to do but even though they put down cash the kids did exceed and it went on their credit card. Lucky for them it was not a lot.

I think everyone's kids are different and you really have to know your own kid. My 9yo is a bit young for her age. We live in a city where she really isn't allowed to roam around the way we did when we were little. I'm trying to impress upon her what spending money really means and sometimes she just doesn't get it "But Mom, the American Girl Doll horse is on sale for ONLY $80! That's $20 off - why can't I get it?"

I heard a horror story first day on the ship of some little kid who thought the arcade was free - you just swipe your card. We promptly went to the front desk and had DD's card turned off for purchases. She had her soda card so she was all set for drinks. If she wasn't in the kids club she was with a member of our family.

My kids are now 14 and 17. They have cruised 8 times since they were 4 and 7 with full charging ability on their cards. Funny thing is they hardly ever spend anything on them and the most on any cruise was about $40 total and they always ask before purchasing anything (I did not tell them to ask me). On our last cruise in July they didn't purchase a thing with their S&S cards. There wasn't any games in the arcade they wanted to play and they are happy drinking the lemonade and ice tea so they there were no beverage purchases. I love my kids:D.

I think everyone's kids are different and you really have to know your own kid.

You make a valid point. It is sad when some feel the need to blame the parenting or figure they can predict the future for children they have never met, if they haven't had this particular issue.

You can have 2 children raised in the same household, same rules, same teachings and have totally different issues.

As you have also pointed out some children do not have the same opportunities to learn certain lessons, like not having the freedom to roam free. I had the opposite issue with mine growing up because we lived in the country and therefore mine did not have the opportunity to roam free with cash in their pockets, because the only time they went anywhere we physically had to take them. Also if they had cash in their pockets, it was a set amount not a free-for-all like a cruise room card with no limit. So a cruise would have been the perfect time to teach the lesson of limited spending.

I think the OP and others are wise if their children have not had the opportunity to learn that valuable lesson, to use the cruise for this. Setting a limit and if the child does not reach the limit, then they have learned well. If the child does reach the limit they have also learned a valuable lesson in having to watch their spending better the next day.

About the only thing they couldn't buy would be alcohol.<snip>

I took my "kids" on a cruise when they were old enough to drink. Made the mistake of telling them that I'd pick up their bar bill.

I know! Shouldn't have been so stupid.

Didn't make that mistake on the next cruise!

I took my "kids" on a cruise when they were old enough to drink. Made the mistake of telling them that I'd pick up their bar bill.

I know! Shouldn't have been so stupid.

Didn't make that mistake on the next cruise!

I've got 5 boys and if they drink the way that I did when I was first old enough to drink the bar bill would be large enough for another cruise:eek:.

Archived