Life Jacket for 3 year old

mitsugirly

I am completely fed up with trying to find a life jacket that doesn't flip my 3 year old. There has to be something out there that keeps them from tipping effectively.

The first round, I purchased the "vest" type. As soon as she got in the water it flipped her head down in the water. We tried for several hours to get it to work right and it wouldn't. So, I returned it.

I went to a sporting good store and decided to purchase the actual bright orange boating life jacket that just goes around the neck and has the pillow thing on the back. It completely flips her on her back, while that would be great if you were using it just for riding in a boat that might sink :p, it's not good for keeping her upright to enjoy the water.

Now I don't expect to buy something and think that she's safe by herself by any means. I will be standing right beside her and holding onto it the entire time, but I can't manage to find anything that will keep her upright.

The ONLY luck I've had so far are buying the cheap blow up arm rings that go around the upper part of your arm and also a cheap blow up round ring. She loves them both and moves her arms and kicks her feet to swim and is very comfortable in using them. However, I just don't know if these are appropriate enough for "ocean" use when we are stopping in the ports.

Any suggestions on something that actually works? :confused:

When I was a little girl, I recall that my mother would take a regular life jacket, like the one you purchased ay a sporting goods store, and she somehow used the attached straps to tie it around my waist. That kept me bouyant, with my body upright. Sorry, but I cannot recall or describe how she did that but it was very effective. And, as you said, you wouldn't be far away, anyway.

Don't know if this is the "correct" answer, but it's what I found with my twin boys. Those orange vests with the pillow thing behind the head just plain tipped them over in the water and then held their head DOWN in the water, not up! Useless for us!

As for the regular jacket vest, we found that only to work once the boys were a little more proficient in the water. When they were not good at swimming, they would just "tip" over in them. Now, if I held on to them, it was fine, but otherwise, useless.

The water wings are what worked best for us. I know most people frown on the water wings because they really aren't the safest things in the world. From the right angle, they can slide right off the child's arms and then they're in trouble. That said, I never relied on the water wings as a safety net, it was more so that the kids could enjoy themselves in the water while I was right next to them anyway. They're also great for travel because they deflate and pack easy enough. We used them in the ocean with the boys and they were fine. Just stay close by and don't count on them for "safety". We went thru several types and the best kind are the ones that have the rubber water wing with a cloth-like cover on them. Otherwise, they're prone to popping if they brush up against anything sharp or rough.

Hope that helps!

Can you find Puddle Jumpers? Here's a link: http://parentcentral.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--productId_8543395.html

They are by no means a life saving device, but it sounds like you're looking for something to help her float and that won't come off like the water wings. I haven't tried them myself, but friends of mine swear by them and I know last summer they were sold out everywhere near us.

We absolutely love our Puddle Jumper! It solves all of the problems that you mentioned and I do believe it is coast guard approved as a floatation device. Our son has been able to wear his several places where traditional "floaties" have not been allowed. We found ours on Amazon after our local Target and Walmart were sold out...

There are swimsuits that have a floatation vest built in....no straps, or putting it on...taking it off...it's part of the swimsuit. Several kids at our local pool use them. Next time I go, I'll try to ask one of the parents what it's called, and where they got them. The kids are NOT tipping over and have the use of their arms and legs...they swim around just fine with this particular type of suit.

My granddaughter turns three the end of July. We have the puddle jumper that looks like Nemo. Didn't know that's what they are called til I looked at the website from the earlier post. This works well for her. She is not comfortable in the water yet, and this keeps her face out of the water. She is learning to blow bubbles if she takes a dunk. It is all one piece so the arm floaties can't fall off. It is an approved floatation device for 30-50 lbs.

This is also great for when children are around water and might have a chance of falling in, like the pools on ship.

im so glad i stumbled across this post!!! my son just turned 2 and we were looking for something to help him swim in the river/lake. i was going to get some fabric arm floaties but this looks so much better!!!

he has no problems wearing his reg life jacket while the boat is moving but it def doesnt help him swim. i know these are coast gaurd approved but hes a few lbs shy of the 30lb starting weight so we will keep him in his jacket while moving.

The water wings are what worked best for us. They're also great for travel because they deflate and pack easy enough. We used them in the ocean with the boys and they were fine. We went thru several types and the best kind are the ones that have the rubber water wing with a cloth-like cover on them. Otherwise, they're prone to popping if they brush up against anything sharp or rough.

Hope that helps!

Yes, these are the only things that I have found to work so far and I double up with a blow up ring. By no means am I looking for a safety device, but merely something to help her float instead of attached to my hip at all times.

She has 2 pair of the arm floaties...both are the kind with the cloth around them. :)

Can you find Puddle Jumpers? Here's a link: http://parentcentral.shoptoit.ca/shop/product--productId_8543395.html

They are by no means a life saving device' date=' but it sounds like you're looking for something to help her float and that won't come off like the water wings. I haven't tried them myself, but friends of mine swear by them and I know last summer they were sold out everywhere near us.[/quote']

I'm looking at the picture and trying to figure out how they work. Is it something that you slide over them and it has the arm floaties built in and some type of part that goes around the body as well? Like a half a vest or something? I wish they had a picture of it on a child instead of just the item itself. I guess I'll have to google and search around. It sounds promising.

We absolutely love our Puddle Jumper! It solves all of the problems that you mentioned and I do believe it is coast guard approved as a floatation device. Our son has been able to wear his several places where traditional "floaties" have not been allowed. We found ours on Amazon after our local Target and Walmart were sold out...

I will have to check Amazon or Target. I know that Walmart here does not have them. I've never seen them there any year and I know for sure that they don't have them this year.

There are swimsuits that have a floatation vest built in....no straps, or putting it on...taking it off...it's part of the swimsuit.

I do remember seeing those years ago and had forgot about them (although not so sure I want one because if I remember correctly, it's like a 1 piece and had shorts or something, which would cover up all of her cute little bathing suits I bought her for the cruise. :D)

Another vote for Puddle Jumpers! DD can swim with a bubble now, but we used ours for a long time and took it on our last cruise. Check out this video.

The link does not work. :(

It is an approved floatation device for 30-50 lbs.

It sounds like everyone loves these. I think I'm going to go do some searching and find some to try out. 30-50 pounds works for me. She is now 35. :)

Ok, I am looking on Amazon and they are showing varying prices from 15.99-29.99 and they have "basic" and "deluxe". What is the difference? It seems that they are using basically the same photos for both. :confused:

Ok, I am looking on Amazon and they are showing varying prices from 15.99-29.99 and they have "basic" and "deluxe". What is the difference? It seems that they are using basically the same photos for both. :confused:

So . . . what is the difference? This thread had me checking Amazon for these Puddle Jumper things, and I think I'm sold. But I too would like to know what the difference is (I couldn't tell from Amazon's descriptions) before choosing one.

So . . . what is the difference? This thread had me checking Amazon for these Puddle Jumper things, and I think I'm sold. But I too would like to know what the difference is (I couldn't tell from Amazon's descriptions) before choosing one.

I ask some friends on facebook and they agree how GREAT these are and loved them...so I'm sold.

I was told that the difference is the size?? The deluxe are for the bigger kids I guess???

We are suppose to have them here at the local Target. I am going to go there tomorrow and check them out and purchase a pair. I will report back once I see them in person (regular versus deluxe) and then we'll test them out in our pool just to verify how fabulous they are. :p :D

I saw puddle jumpers at Dick's sporting goods (a chain store if you aren't familiar) very recently. Also saw them on campmor website for 18.99 but it sounds like amazon is cheaper.

I was at Dicks a few weeks ago (when I purchased the orange life jacket) and I know ours didn't have one at that time and when I spoke to the store clerk about my tipping problem, he didn't indicate that they had anything like this. So, I'm assuming ours doesn't carry any. :(

Ok, made it to Target today. They had them in stock. They only had 2 to choose from. Either a blue one with fishes (which is the one my daughter picked out) or an orange one with monsters on it.

Here's what I ended up with:

IMG_4241.jpg

I did not get an answer on the difference between the regular and deluxe. They only had these and it just stated 30-50 pounds.

We will be testing it out tomorrow. I will follow up and let everyone know how it works out. :)

Thanks, Mitsugirly, for your diligent research on our behalf! :)

Did the packinging on your Puddle Jumper give any indication as to whether it was regular or deluxe?

Anyway, looking forward to your "review." I'm about ready to buy a couple of these for my kids!

It did not say which one it is on the package. I just states 30-50 pounds.

I just looked at the Stearns site (which is the maker of it) and when I clicked on deluxe, it also stated that the "deluxe" is for 30-50 pounds as well. So, I'm thinking that my friend is wrong about it being for older children or ones that weigh more.

It does states that it is a "Type V US Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket with Type III performance"

So when I look this up, it states: TYPE III PFDS / FLOTATION AIDS: For general boating or the specialized activity that is marked on the device such as water skiing, hunting, fishing, canoeing, kayaking and others. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue. Designed so that wearing it will complement your boating activities.

(Type I states: OFF-SHORE LIFE JACKETS: Best for all waters, open ocean, rough seas, or remote water, where rescue may be slow coming. Abandon-ship lifejacket for commercial vessels and all vessels carrying passengers for hire.

Type II states: NEAR-SHORE BUOYANT VESTS: For general boating activities. Good for calm, inland waters, or where there is a good chance for fast rescue.)

I know that when buying a regular life jacket, there are different steps from I to III and it has to do with how it floats (from a non-swimmer to a swimmer)<---which it didn't matter which she tried, it still didn't work for my little one.

Still trying to figure this out. :eek: :D

When considering a Type I, II or III - remember that, generally, the lower the number the better the performance. (A Type I is better than a Type II.)

Types I, II or III may be inherently buoyant, that is, they will float without action by the wearer

Hmmmm. (I think the life jacket I bought last time was a type II)

On a site with people discussing the difference, I just found this:

"The difference is the fabric used. the basic one is nylon and the deluxe one is polyester."

"The difference between the basic and the deluxe is the material and designs. The basic version is nylon with simple animal designs. The deluxe version has a softer polyester fabric and the designs have a bit more detail in them. The level of flotation is the same for basic and deluxe."

Someone also stated that the basic only has the animal print on the vest part and plain color on the arms. While the deluxe has a print on the arms as well. The one that I bought has print on the arms.

Either way, it is determined that they are basically the same thing, just the material. So in my book, either would work the same and just as good as the other.

I don't care if it's polyester or nylon. All I care is that it works as it should and on the package I bought it states "with antimicrobial protection. Treated to inhibit the growth of odor causing bacteria, mold and mildew".

That works for me! :D

We've had success with the thinner learning to swim speedo vest type. Not the bulky "life vest" type. Every life vest we tried did the same to my DS. It flipped him directly face first into the water and he couldnt rihgt himself. That is why when peopl on her mention they are getting one to take along as a precaution for their infant/toddler I recommend trying it out first. It certainly wouldnt be "life saving" unless you were able ton hold the child upwards.

Archived