Sitka Excursions

mandrews2u

My Husband and I have yet to book any excursion for Sitka, we will be there in July, any suggestions from anyone, and what they liked and didn't like?????? I realize you have to book through the cruise ships in this port but they all probably offer pretty much the same stuff, any help will be appreciated.

Frankly we just walked around the town and some of the side streets. They have a Russian chuch there to tour, right in the middle of town. If you walk around the marina about 1 mile is the Eagle Raptor Center where injured eagles are taken care of. Also there is a Totem Park. The views walking around there are fabulous. Very pretty setting. Hope this helps.

marilyn

Thanks, That sounds good, I had concentrated on all the other ports of call and had forgotten any comments I had read about what to do it Sitka, we are spending so much money in all the other ports maybe this one will be just looking around the town itself.

My wife and I did the Northbound cruise on the Carnival Spirit in 2001. We did the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest excursion in Sitka. We booked it through the ship and had a great time. We saw a couple of brown bears on the shore from the boat, otters, eagles, seals, and a few humpbacks. The whales are not guaranteed like they are in Juneau, but we were told they are normally seen on this excursion.

Hi!

I also enjoyed the Wildlife and Sea Otter Quest excursion. Beautiful scenery and some terrific wildlife - sea otters, sea lions, bald eagles (in flight and nesting), etc. We also took the Raptor Center and Nature Hike. That was very enjoyable as well.

My suggestion (if you don't want to get out on the water) is to walk the town and National Park on your own. The Russian heritage is interesting and there are some nice totems in the National Park. We also saw spawning salmon. Just pick up a guide at the ranger station and you are all set.

Enjoy Sitka!

Sitka is an excellent walking city, if you do not have mobility limitations, there is also an all day loop shuttle bus to the same locations. As mentioned, Sitka Heritage Park has a scenic 1 mile loop walk, purchase the cheap Totem guide book, will really enhance your walk knowing what totems you are looking at. The Raptor Center takes care of any Alaska raptor, not just eagles. A very worthwhile organization deserving of the admission. There are several small museums, St. Michaels Church- a couple dollar admission is charged, Archangles dancers etc. As above request their vistor guide. For others this is your only good accessabiliy for puffins at a rookery on St. Lazaria Island on the Inside Passage.

Archived