Snorkeling with Glasses

Papa Bear Too

Looking for advice for my sister-in-law. We are heading to Hawaii/Tahiti in October. She can't see very much without her glasses but would like to take advantage of the snorkeling experience available. She is afraid she won't be able to see anything if she doesn't have her glasses. Anyone have any great ideas for her? Do they make snorkeling masks that fit over glasses?

I have never heard of a snorkeling mask that fits over glasses, and believe me if there was such a thing, I would have invested in it years ago.

There are only two choices that I have found. Wear contacts with the mask, or order a perscription mask (what I ended up doing since I can't wear contacts). After I did this I could not believe the difference of viewing these underwater wonderlands. ;)

If this is the only snorkeling she will be doing and is not planning on going very deep, this might work. It did for me.

Buy a pair of cheap reading glasses with the proper magnification for her long-to mid-range

vision. Remove the temples (arms). Replace with flat elastic cut to provide a snug but not

too tight fit. Wear these under a normal mask.

There will be a bit of seepage but probably not enough to prevent short dives or floats.

In shallow water, the mask can be removed and drained as necessary.

The alternative is a prescription mask where the glass is made to the persons eyeglass

prescription. A better solution but only if it is going to be used frequently.

I used the first method in Bora Bora and was able to swim with the sharks and rays.

I am pretty blind w/o my glasses but I found for snorkeling, that w/the magnification provied by the mask and the water, that I could see pretty well. Maybe the ocean floor wasn't in HD but I sure could see all the fish.

Hi,

I have prescription masks...(for distance)

LOVE it! You buy a regular mask and a dive shop can send them out to add the lenses..

BUT if it is for close up...like readers..they make specialty lenses...almost like contacts that can be attached the the mask itself YOURSELF...

if that is what you need, email me the reader strength you use...

My husband never used his....and I have a few different strengths

noone is using..can be used in a personal mask or a rental!!

Can mail them to you for her! Ultralight package they are in...

bernadette

BratDet AT aol.com

Bernadette in NJ

You can get reasonably cheap prescription Goggles. In Uk one of the main supermarkets sell them over the counter.

DH has this problem and bought a pair over the internet from a company in Ireland, btu I´ve just seen this one in US http://www.aquagoggles.com/

DH wondered why he hadn´t got a pair before!!

Sandy in Spain

Looking for advice for my sister-in-law. We are heading to Hawaii/Tahiti in October. She can't see very much without her glasses but would like to take advantage of the snorkeling experience available. She is afraid she won't be able to see anything if she doesn't have her glasses. Anyone have any great ideas for her? Do they make snorkeling masks that fit over glasses?
Assuming your sister-in-law lives locally you may have to go into Portland to find a dive shop (search online for "Clackamas dive"). Prescription masks are easy to get as long as you have your eyeglass prescription available. The prescription is rounded out to the nearest value, so lenses are almost off the shelf.

We had a prescription mask made and it made all the difference in the world.

Hubby bought a prescription mask from Snorkel-Mart.com It was very easy, just need your prescription. DH used to snorkel without the Rx mask, but he is very happy that he invested in one. It was about $60 when he bought his several years ago.

Hubby bought a prescription mask from Snorkel-Mart.com It was very easy, just need your prescription. DH used to snorkel without the Rx mask, but he is very happy that he invested in one. It was about $60 when he bought his several years ago.

That is the same online company I bought mine from, and it has been a dream snorkeling now.

Man, this is what I really love about CC. So many helpful people and so many great suggestions. Many thanks to all of you that responded. I will pass all the info on to my sis-in-law and let her make the decision as to how to proceed. Thanks again to everyone. Tim

All 3 of us bought the RX snorkeling mask before our trip to Tahiti. They are just fantastic and well within the price range of reasonable. We found out about the prescription masks in Hawaii where we rented some for hubby.

:eek::eek: I suggest that you carry your mask in your hand luggage. One of the 3 masks shattered when packed in checked luggage. Our masks came in tupperware like container and we put those in our carryon. I would also suggest that you purchase a snorkeling vest. It really smoothes out the rocking of being face down in the water. The deep water (like Great Barrier Reef or some of the places in South Pacific) needs the vest more than standing and looking down with the mask.

I sure hope we get to go back to South Pacific. You will have a beautiful trip and very interesting. Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

Toss in another vote for buying from there. Well worth it. I used to have to use my underwater camera and kinda hope and pray but now with the RX mask it has gotten easier.

you are fixing to spend $$$$$$ for a trip to Tahiti. Help her out and take her to a professional dive shop. She will need a current prescription to take with her. Most dive shops have at least one type of mask that you can order inserts for and have them put them in the mask at the shop. Or, they can have their supplier put them in the mask and ship it to them for pick up. My son's last mask with prescription lenses was about $125.00 out the door.

My son is near sighted and he has used Oceanic masks with their prescription lenses inserted. I have to wear bifocals and I had my mask prescription professionally bonded to my mask. Expensive, but necessary for me to dive safely (reading air and depth information from gauges).

Information sources http://www.scubaduba.com/equipment/nfmasks.html

http://www.diveaeris.com/p_masks.html

http://www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=28&gclid=CKq50Mf1-qkCFcYH2goduQdBaA

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Masks.asp

We ordered his last mask from Scuba Toys.

Get her a prescription mask and keep the original lenses if she doesn't like it. A leaking mask is no fun. Especially when you can get one that does not and enjoy the experience.

Have fun/

When I cruised to the Caribbean (I believe it was on RCCL), they rented prescription masks for the duration of the cruise. It was very reasonable and made a world of difference. Check with the cruise line

• 2 months later...

Worn glasses all my life and have no problems seeing the fish when snorkeling. I one of those snorkelers who swim down to the fish which gives me a better view. Also the water adds some magnification which helps a lot. If you snorkel on the surface then it will be an issue to see the fish around coral say 20 feet down. It is better to swim down and get up close and personal with the fish.

Archived