Prices in Papeete, etc.

bundito

Our big trip this fall will take us to Papeete, Moorea, and Bora Bora.

Obviously, we need to order some XPF (French Polynesian Francs) for spending money.

Any large purchases (like meals, or the famed black pearls for my wife) would be done via credit card. We're more puzzled by what we should expect to pay for average, incidental things like snacks or cold drinks.

Anyone recently back that can offer advice?

Thanks!

-Dito

XPFabulous

I would not order in advance but I would use the ATM at the airport. Drinks were about 3-5 xpf, as long as not at a hotel restaurant. Bottles water in the same price range. Snacks from US (Lays, Pringles, etc. are pricey) but local and European brands were about $25% more than in the US for a similar product.

I would not order in advance but I would use the ATM at the airport. Drinks were about 3-5 xpf, as long as not at a hotel restaurant. Bottles water in the same price range. Snacks from US (Lays, Pringles, etc. are pricey) but local and European brands were about $25% more than in the US for a similar product.

Why wouldn't you order any xpf in advance?

A simple way of looking at it. The cost of many products/services in French Polynesia are closer to between 2-3X what they cost for similar in the United States. Really. However there are more inexpensive options when shopping at the Champion supermarkets.

For example a six-pack of local Hinano beer at the store will run about $16-$18 depending on the exchange rate.

(As already stated above) I would also recommend to not bother ordering that much in the way of XPF currency ahead of time -- Unless of course one is anticipating further USD(or home currency) decline before their trip.

There is an atm in the Papeete airport -- and as long as one is using a 4-digit pin atm card -- accessing money at the atms in (downtown) Papeete is quite a simple process.

Every bank is different, yet I've found in my personal experience that the least fees/better exchange rates are associated with atm usage than what one might receive from hotels or currency exchange services etc.

• 3 months later...

If you google the Papeete airport there is a link to the two exchange offices at the airport which will give you the exchange rate there - I checked it out and the rate was way better to take US $ and exchange it at the airport - the rate at the LAX airport in here in Canada was beyond crazy more expensive. Things there are very expensive -

I don't think worrying about exchange rates for currency should be important to anybody other than someone who makes a living in the currency market.

You're only talking about pennies here folks not great amounts of money.

Unless you plan to spend thousands of dollars a day.

I never concern myself with exchange rates.

It's such a nit in the scope of your vacation.

Just my $0.02.

Jim

Keith:

I always use ATMs in foreign countries to get cash and only get enough cash for my immediate needs.

May need to visit the ATM several times while there.

When checking out of my hotel on my last day in country, I use all of my local currency toward my hotel bill and then my Capital One Visa card (no foreign transaction charge) for the remainder of the bill.

That way I never take any local money back home where it's useless.

Jim

Keith:

It sounds like we've both done enough traveling to learn how to handle the small details easily and to our advantages.

It always amazes me that people spend thousands of dollars on a nice vacation but then agonize over the pennies involved in exchanging currencies.

All of a sudden they want to learn how to win as a currency trader or something.

They've found a way to invent their own stress.:)

Enjoy life.

It may be the only one we have.

Jim

When we are just in the towns for 1 day on a cruise will they except US currency for tips and little things?

If you plan to shop around the pier area, and not go off the beaten track, you will be fine with USD. (if you arranged for any private tours, check with your tour operator to see of they will accept USD, as most do). The last 5 or 6 trips to Tahiti (Bora Bora, Moorea, Papeete plus some of the smaller islands) we did not need to exchange, but those areas close to the pier readily accepted USD.

Now, if you plan to do a pre or post cruise stay, that is a different story, then you will definitely need XPF for some things.

We are doing a couple of nights pre-cruise in Tahiti but arrive fairly late, 9 something at night. Will there be somewhere accessible at the airport where we can exchange money that late so we can pay the cab driver taking us to the hotel? I think I've read that cabs require cash in xpf.

Archived