Rome Hotels

Mura

We have a last minute itinerary change -- from Alaska to Rome. So I'm checking out hotels but I really don't know Rome at all, in terms of location or quality of hotels. I tried searching at the CC website to begin with but didn't come up with anything definitive. And I will post the question at the Roll Call.

But does anyone have a suggestion for a moderately price hotel in Rome? When I say "moderate" I'm well aware that this is an expensive city!

But I'd also appreciate hints about just where we want to be. We will have 2-1/2 days in Rome so we want to use our time wisely.

Of course, we can spend more in Rome since we won't be spending that much in Istanbul, on the other end of the cruise ...

Many thanks for any information!

Mura

The best location is near the Spanish Steps -- you are in the center of everything. Many of the hotels that I know there are pricey (the Hassler) but I am sure someone can recommend a more moderate hotel in the area.

Spanish Steps, check.

Thanks so much!

Mura

Mura, The Hassler or the Intercontinental have fabulous views and the area is near everything including shopping. Ristorante 34 is a excellent restaurant and is located at the bottom of the stairs.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.ristoranteal34.it/&ei=1JEbTuWBE4a2sAOL1bCvBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CEMQ7gEwAw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dristorante%2B34%2Brome%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26prmd%3Divnsm

The best location is near the Spanish Steps -- you are in the center of everything. Many of the hotels that I know there are pricey (the Hassler) but I am sure someone can recommend a more moderate hotel in the area.

So true! Best location for almost every thing you'll want to see without needing taxis or the underground.

The Hassler is 5+ star for sure but the Intercontinental is lovely as well.:)

So true! Best location for almost every thing you'll want to see without needing taxis or the underground.

The Hassler is 5+ star for sure but the Intercontinental is lovely as well.:)

I don't think anyone has used the word "moderate" and Hassler or Intercontinental in the same sentence!

I haven't checked the rates but I suspect you're correct.

So far I've booked two truly moderate places (only in the 238-298 euro range which still isn't cheap!) ... they are cancellable, I just wanted to make sure we had SOMETHING. (For the record, these are the Urban Suites Apartment Designs --rather modern in design but looks comfortable -- and Residenza al Corso. If anyone has anything negative to say about other place, please let me know!)

And I'm looking into all other suggestions.

Thanks so much. I truly appreciate the help.

Mura

I second the location at Spanish steps (although Piazza Navona is great as well).

The best deal in Rome, IMO, is an award night at the Intercontinental (mentioned above) which can be booked for 40,000 points/night, which in turn can "be had" (not bought) for $240 (yes that is $$, not Euros). Mind you, it will be a standard room (w/o a view or breakfast) but in the IC at a great price - location, location, location...

E mail me (or I can e mail you) to tell you how to get 40K points for $240 if you are interested.

We had a wonderful time at the Albergo del Senato (http://www.albergodelsenato.it/). Location is perfect—literally about 100 feet from the Pantheon, a short walk to Trevi Fountain, etc. Very nice rooms, rooftop open-air bar with city views and lots of great restaurants in easy walking distance (ask them for recommendations). Ranked #9 of all Rome hotels on Trip Advisor.

We stayed twice in the vicinity of the Piazza Navona. We were able to walk everywhere and the area has great restaurants. We never had to hail a taxi or take public transportation.

You can look on tripadvisor and on http://www.venere.com which allows you to select by neighborhood. We like to stay in small boutique type places which isn't for everyone. Make sure that the place you stay has a lift and if it does not ask what floor the room is on. Something we were unaware is that in Europe our 3rd floor is their 4th which can be a hassle with luggage.

I cannot tell you where to stay, But I can tell you where to definitely NOT stay... The Regina Hotel Baglioni. The only thing going for it is it's location. Our room which was "deluxe" was small and dark.

The people at the front desk were surly and condecending. The concierge did not give us one bit of information which was correct. The service was horrendous. I do not usually complain , but I would say that in all my years of travelling , this is the worst hotel in which I've stayed. It is a Virtuoso Hotel, and expensive.

Hope this helps

Mary and I stayed at Albergo Cesari, which is located halfway between the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain; easy walk to Piazza Navona and the Spanish steps. We actually walked from there to the Colosseum. Has a lovely rooftop restaurant with a good breakfast buffet. Was highly ranked by Trip Advisor.

Have a great trip!

These all look like good suggestions, I will add one more.

A couple of years ago, we stayed for a week at the Albergo Santa Chiara, which is located right next to the Pantheon. Easy walk to many sites and also very close to the Largo Argentina plaza where you can catch a bus to further away places - for example, Vatican City.

Of course, with only 2-1/2 days you will have to prioritize what you want to see. . .

TripAdvisor is a good source for reviews of hotels. However, for booking, I have generally found that the best way is to deal directly with the hotel itself.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I now have a nice thick file of recommendations!

Yes, of course 2-1/2 days is not enough time to see a city like Rome in depth. We just want to see what we can in that amount of time. It's the same thing here in NYC when people ask what they should do in a limited amount of time ... it's never enough!

Mura

These all look like good suggestions, I will add one more.

A couple of years ago, we stayed for a week at the Albergo Santa Chiara, which is located right next to the Pantheon. Easy walk to many sites and also very close to the Largo Argentina plaza where you can catch a bus to further away places - for example, Vatican City.

Of course, with only 2-1/2 days you will have to prioritize what you want to see. . .

TripAdvisor is a good source for reviews of hotels. However, for booking, I have generally found that the best way is to deal directly with the hotel itself.

In 2007 my husband and I stayed at Albergo Santa Chiara and posted a review at Trip Advisor...I could recommend it and would...

Oceania is including an overnight stay in Rome pre-cruise. The hotel they are putting us up in is the Sheraton Golf Resort & Hotel. After reading several negative reviews on Trip Advisor, i.e. location from center of Rome over 1/2 hour away, miserable customer service, etc.., I am aprehensive! And a bit surprised, considering the cost of the cruise. Should we wing it & hope for the best or consider looking into another hotel closer to the city center?

Oceania is including an overnight stay in Rome pre-cruise. The hotel they are putting us up in is the Sheraton Golf Resort & Hotel. After reading several negative reviews on Trip Advisor, i.e. location from center of Rome over 1/2 hour away, miserable customer service, etc.., I am aprehensive! And a bit surprised, considering the cost of the cruise. Should we wing it & hope for the best or consider looking into another hotel closer to the city center?

If this is your first trip to Rome, I wouldn't. You want to be in the center of the City and have that feeling of the Romance associated with Rome. The prices at the Sheraton are probably similar to the ones suggested in this thread. Best of luck in making that decision. This November will be my 4th trip to Rome and I will be staying at the top of the Spanish Steps which is a great location. :)

I'd pass on that one unless you want to ride the metro into the city. It's a place to lay your head but not somewhere you'd stay if you actually wanted to see Rome.

Here's that specific hotel's thread on flyertalk if you want to read more about it.

I would definitiely stay as close to the center as possible. You will lose a lot of time shuttling between the hotel and sites. Walking around Rome at night and stopping to have a coffee or glass of wine or a late dinner is part of the ambience of the city. Also, if you don't take the Oceania hotel you will receive a credit. You can do very well on your own with the credit.

I would definitiely stay as close to the center as possible. You will lose a lot of time shuttling between the hotel and sites. Walking around Rome at night and stopping to have a coffee or glass of wine or a late dinner is part of the ambience of the city.

Very true, and for that reason, we prefer the Hotel Eden, http://www.edenroma.com/ which gives us the central location without the sticker shock of the Hassler (which is exquisite, I grant you, but at a thousand euros per night in a standard, just too rich for our blood).

Another aspect which hasn't been discussed here is the air conditioning in these hotels. Normally, I'm all about giving up comfort for charm, (I even like those sexy low chairs on the Marina!), but in Rome in the Summer, after a long hot day of touring, I want my room cool AND dehumidified.

Italians cannot seem to wrap their heads around this theory; when it gets warm, their solution is to move less. Therefore, a great many hotels in Rome, even expensive hotels, have what I consider to be substandard air conditioning. Read independent reviews of your hotel BEFORE you book!

We have stayed twice at the Hotel Victoria Roma at the top of the Via Veneto and been very pleased.

http://www.hotelvictoriaroma.com/default-en.html

Good walking area and there is a one euro bus a block away to the Pantheon Plaza Navona area.

We are on your 10/21 cruise but we are only going in a day early and staying in Civitavecchia as we have done Rome several times before.

Sunchaser, we have occasionally stayed at a hotel used by Oceania but we always booked it ourselves. The fees the cruiseline charges tend to be exorbitant. And if you've seen negative reviews at Trip Advisor, I'd listen to them!

I've taken the advice of others here and booked a hotel near the Spanish Steps.

Archived