Glossy Pretty Cruise Brochures......

sail7seas

You can all tell me how terrific it is using HAL site to find itineraries all you want.

I just went there to find a cruise which stopped at Key West and got so frustrated I left without finding any cruise that interested me.

I am annoyed I have to go through this nonesense to try and find a cruise to book.

With a Cruise Planner, I'd have my choices in a few short minutes.

I KNOW FOR SURE there will be those of you who will run over there and find just what I want in mere seconds. That does me no good. I need to be able to enjoy looking for our cruises on our own and I USED to be able to do that. This is discretionary spending...... it's supposed to be fun, start to finish. It isn't supposed to raise my blood pressure. :eek:

If you are interested in cruises that are going to a specific port....is there a way to put that port destination on the HAL site and find all the cruises that will go there...???

Such as....if wanting to go to Half Moon Cay....how do you find all the scheduled available cruises..?? I noticed there are some TA's that stop there too.

I am always amazed at the incongruity of the human condition. We say that we can't teach an old dog new tricks like clicking on a search box, or using <CRTL><F> (<command> <F> if you are part of the Mac nation) to search for things in an electronic document, like a port of call for instance; yet then in the next breath, we run to a discussion forum, Twitter® or Facebook® to complain about how things aren't like they were in the good ole days? Kinda makes one go hmmm. :D

For the record S7S (and I don't mean to pick on you, sincerely), if you were to search the unabridged electronic version of your paper 2011-2012 Cruise Planner online, yes, in seconds, you'd find 22 mentions of "Key West" with a direct link to each specific itinerary. So yes, you could still look for cruises on your own ... and if you prefer to simply leaf through virtual pages until an itinerary catches your fancy, you can do that too.

Scott.

cruise%20planner.jpg

S7S -

There's an even easier way that doesn't involve the eBrochures for a search (let's use that Key West example)

On the home page you see the box "Destinations" at the top. Roll over it and "Ports" appears. Click it. (All makes sense so far right, since the inquiry is about a Destination and specifically a Port?)

That takes you to this direct link (this link saves that step)

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/Ports.action

There is a "Port" drag down box with every single port HAL has in the system. Yep, Key West is there too. Let's select it.

This takes you to an overview of Key West, you can see average temperatures, you can see every shore excursion available, you can take a look at HAL's guaranteed shops there. But there's also a big blue oval "Cruises visiting Key West, Florida, US" Let's click that too.

Here's THAT link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?portCode=EYW&sourceName=byPort&displayMode=advertising

This gives you FOUR PAGES of results and NONE of them DO NOT include Key West.

So while I found your reply (might have been to others as well?) a bit 'snarky' I would continue to tell you how easy it is because now you won't rummage all through a brochure for only Key West itineraries. Every single one has just been spoon fed to you :)

Hope these tips help.

If you are interested in cruises that are going to a specific port....is there a way to put that port destination on the HAL site and find all the cruises that will go there...???

Such as....if wanting to go to Half Moon Cay....how do you find all the scheduled available cruises..?? I noticed there are some TA's that stop there too.

My above reply was to S7S, but I think you may find it useful as well.

As for cruises to HMC, here's the link, similar to S7S's Key West one.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/FindCruises.action?portCode=HMC&sourceName=byPort&displayMode=advertising

Keep in mind though, we go there on MOST Caribbean itineraries (your result is 20 pages of itineraries). So the search bars on the home page may serve you better if you know what ship or what part of the Caribbean or what dates (Month/Year) you have your eye on.

I am always amazed at the incongruity of the human condition. We say that we can't teach an old dog new tricks like clicking on a search box, or using <CRTL><F> (<command> <F> if you are part of the Mac nation) to search for things in an electronic document, like a port of call for instance; yet then in the next breath, we run to a discussion forum, Twitter® or Facebook® to complain about how things aren't like they were in the good ole days? Kinda makes one go hmmm. :D

For the record S7S (and I don't mean to pick on you, sincerely), if you were to search the unabridged electronic version of your paper 2011-2012 Cruise Planner online, yes, in seconds, you'd find 22 mentions of "Key West" with a direct link to each specific itinerary. So yes, you could still look for cruises on your own ... and if you prefer to simply leaf through virtual pages until an itinerary catches your fancy, you can do that too.

Scott.

If it were that easy for me, I would have done it. :rolleyes:

Were it so simple, I wouldn't waste my time and energy complaining about it.

Clearly some of us (well, at least one of us) would love to find a cruise that interests me and I have been frustrated trying to do so.

If it were that easy for me, I would have done it. :rolleyes:

Were it so simple, I wouldn't waste my time and energy complaining about it.

Clearly some of us (well, at least one of us) would love to find a cruise that interests me and I have been frustrated trying to do so.

DBA..... thank you for your help. I know you mean well, but really. Look at all those steps I'm supposed to remember. I shouldn't have to print out directions on varitions links I have to click to more links to more links to find a ship that will stop at Key West on a date we wish to sail.

It's a royal pain..... IMO

The only reason it's that lengthy is because I'm describing it rather than posting a pictorial guide

Here it is:

Pick Destinations (obvious) and select Ports

Pick your port

Click the blue oval

Find the cruise you want that goes there

DBA..... thank you for your help. I know you mean well, but really. Look at all those steps I'm supposed to remember. I shouldn't have to print out directions on various links I have to click to more links to more links to find a ship that will stop at Key West on a date we wish to sail.

So while I found your reply (might have been to others as well?) a bit 'snarky' I would continue to tell you how easy it is because now you won't rummage all through a brochure for only Key West itineraries. Every single one has just been spoon fed to you

And please don't call me snarky because I have had difficulty trying to find cruises we wish to book. :rolleyes:

Name calling is never helpful. Sorry I am not as computer/search talented as I apparently am expected to be.

Thanks.

All I am is a customer trying to spend some money. ;)

Easy? Anything one knows how to do is easy. When one does not know how to do something, it is not easy.

Indeed.

DBA..... thank you for your help. I know you mean well, but really. Look at all those steps I'm supposed to remember. I shouldn't have to print out directions on varitions links I have to click to more links to more links to find a ship that will stop at Key West on a date we wish to sail.

And please don't call me snarky because I have had difficulty trying to find cruises we wish to book. :rolleyes:

Name calling is never helpful. Sorry I am not as computer/search talented as I apparently am expected to be.

Thanks.

All I am is a customer trying to spend some money. ;)

I'm happy to point out that I did not call any customers a name. Simply stated how I felt upon reading a response. We are all of course able to feel differently about things we read. :)

And the stated apologies "Sorry I am not as computer/search talented as I apparently am expected to be" were not necessary.

All I'm trying to do is find a cruise.

No apology expected. :)

Perhaps I am the one and only person who is having difficulty. That is certainly possible but I am, indeed, one person who became very frustrated tonight at that site. I do not relish the thought of returning there to find future cruises.

I don't know how I am going to find what cruises we want in the future.

Are we having fun yet? :D

I'm very comfortable using the internet and book almost all my travel arrangements online. That being said I can understand the love of flipping through a pretty brochure! I enjoy getting my various catalogs and planners from all the places I would love to visit! It would be nice if instead of doing mass mailing (most of which probably end up in the trash) there would still be an opportunity to request the planners. That way those that enjoy them would still get them and those that do their browsing online would not be getting mailings they don't want or need.

Just as there are so many different types of vacations to enjoy there are also many ways to enjoy the planning of those vacations.

All I'm trying to do is find a cruise.

No apology expected. :)

Perhaps I am the one and only person who is having difficulty. That is certainly possible but I am, indeed, one person who became very frustrated tonight at that site. I do not relish the thought of returning there to find future cruises.

I don't know how I am going to find what cruises we want in the future.

Are we having fun yet? :D

If you opt to not use the website, then I would recommend you work with your Personal Cruise Consultant.

PS - Our office got the new brochure today and it is approx 220 pages and covers through April 2013. Not sure what sort of time frame there is between when we get it and you can have one sent to your home/view the eBrochure. Would imagine within a couple weeks at most.

If you opt to not use the website, then I would recommend you work with your Personal Cruise Consultant.

PS - Our office got the new brochure today and it is approx 220 pages and covers through April 2013. Not sure what sort of time frame there is between when we get it and you can have one sent to your home/view the eBrochure. Would imagine within a couple weeks at most.

GREAT !!!!!!!

Would you kindly send me a copy?

That would solve my difficulty.

I'd be quite appreciative to receive it.

I don't think a PCC has the time to sit on the phone going through all the itineraries ...... it would be a huge chunk of time I'd be monopolizing. He does have other demands on his time, I would imagine.

Hopefully you will manage to forward one to us. Wouldn't be too cool to tell me you have what I need and then not send one. :D I have some FCD's burning a 'hole in my pocket'. I'd like to 'spend' them.

Thank you.

GREAT !!!!!!!

Would you kindly send me a copy?

That would solve my difficulty.

I'd be quite appreciative to receive it.

I don't think a PCC has the time to sit on the phone going through all the itineraries ...... it would be a huge chunk of time I'd be monopolizing. He does have other demands on his time, I would imagine.

Hopefully you will manage to forward one to us.

Thank you.

No extras that I have access to. When they first arrive it's literally one per person and those are needed for reference as I'm sure you can imagine. Would recommend your PCC can assist with this request rather soon. Just ask him.

As for talking to him about itineraries (Key West for example) you could always send an email. I'm sure he would be happy to look into it and send you a reply in a relatively short amount of time. Byphone, correct, that would likely be a VERY long phone call.

Ouch!! I know it's crazy to leap in here again, but HAL's website is streamlined and easy to navigate for anyone who uses the internet with any regularity which most everyone posting on this forum does. If you're able to change font styles, upload avatars and add signatures here on CC then you can absolutely hover over drop down boxes and navigate HAL's website.

As DBA posted, it's actually easier than leafing through a brochure or book. I love the way it filters all the cruises down to the exact cruises that might interest me. Writing out how to do it as opposed to actually doing it always makes it seem more involved than it actually is.

It may be new and it's not the same as leafing through a brochure, but it is the wave of the future.

Save a tree:) ... give it a try. Just the cost of producing those brochures and mailing them out is unimagineable. And if it does prove too challenging I feel confident that HAL's PCCs are more than happy to take some extra time to help.

I usually flip through HAL brochures quickly, then send them to the recycling bin.

I have never booked a cruise based on a brochure.

Most often I used HAL's site to find out what is available - and find it so easy, especially since we only cruise out of Port Everglades. That narrows it down quite a bit!

Sometimes I will visit online booking sites [other than HAL] to get a quick overview. Some formats are better than others and allow for a quick comparison of what is available during a certain time period.

I have to give kudos, though, to HAL's website, which I find remarkably easy to use and very helpful when searching for the various itineraries. But I guess there will always be Luddites among us! ;)

I do not like HAL's website, especially when it comes to selecting a cruise. It is more difficult than it needs to be. Have a look at Princess' Cruise Selector -- on one screen you can select the ships/the itineraries/the dates/the departure points in which you are interested. Then you get the cruises that meet your criteria.

Overall, I find the HAL website cumbersome, a universe away from "user friendly" IMHO.

(... and I made my living as a "computer geek" for decades, so am quite familiar with using computers :) )

I have another website (online TA) that I use when I want to look at a number of cruises at one time.

As for the glossy brochures, they are a waste, again IMHO. I've never been inspired to get more info or to book a cruise based on the hard-copy Cruise Planner.

I do not like HAL's website, especially when it comes to selecting a cruise. It is more difficult than it needs to be. Have a look at Princess' Cruise Selector -- on one screen you can select the ships/the itineraries/the dates/the departure points in which you are interested. Then you get the cruises that meet your criteria.

Overall, I find the HAL website cumbersome, a universe away from "user friendly" IMHO.

(... and I made my living as a "computer geek" for decades, so am quite familiar with using computers :) )

I have another website (online TA) that I use when I want to look at a number of cruises at one time.

As for the glossy brochures, they are a waste, again IMHO. I've never been inspired to get more info or to book a cruise based on the hard-copy Cruise Planner.

I feel the same way as you and agree the Princess site is quite friendly. I also visit a major online travel site to find/narrow down cruises. It was very easy to find my Alaska cruise in June at the best price I've seen this season. While price isn't always the driver for me it does more for me then fancy pictures.

Ouch!! I know it's crazy to leap in here again, but HAL's website is streamlined and easy to navigate for anyone who uses the internet with any regularity which most everyone posting on this forum does. If you're able to change font styles, upload avatars and add signatures here on CC then you can absolutely hover over drop down boxes and navigate HAL's website.

I agree completely. Also, if a person has time to approach 40,000 posts, they have time to use a we site to find something they want.

My wife was amazed of how much paper is wasted on board touting various 'sales'.

The majority of these advertisements were immediately disposed in the recycling bin

in our stateroom. Now that is what I call wasteful. Tom

I agree completely. Also, if a person has time to approach 40,000 posts, they have time to use a we site to find something they want.

Time certainly isn't the issue- it took me 15 seconds to find a list of cruises going to where I want to go on my next cruise. You don't even need to be computer savvy or have instructions, much less printed instructions, to know what to do- Destinations (I think we all know what that word means), click on Port you desire, click on the big blue box that says Cruises Going to the port you chose. Pretty darn self-explanatory without even being told what to do, for heavens sake. 3 clicks that anybody whose never been on a computer before could do. 15 seconds on my computer which is running slow today.

Compare that to wading through a 220 page booklet. The real issue here obviously is neither computer proficiency nor time.

I don't find HAL's site hard to navigate at all.

Knowing with the health problems we have -- we are limited to cruise in certain areas - so that eliminates a lot of cruises.

There are certain times of the year we like to cruise -- easy to select that as well.

I agree with another poster about all the flyers that we get on the ships -- there is a lot of waste there.

I think the sarcasm is unnecessary and a cute yellow smiley face doesn't take the barb out of it. People were trying to help.

DBA was very helpful trying to guide a person through. Sometimes we get "stuck" doing something a certain way or using a particular website. We like some and don't like others or simply don't want to change.

Some here find the HAL site quick and easy, others have said they don't. I just popped on there again to make sure I was specifically remembering the HAL site. Right on the homepage it's easy to bring up the cruises (for instance) in the Caribbean and you can break it down by length of cruise, embarkation, etc. Within seconds all the itineraries that could possibly interest me were right there.

I'm pretty sure HAL's site was recently revamped because I don't recall it always being this easy. You just have to play with it a little and up pops everything imagineable all in one place.

Archived