Ecuador and the Galapagos on the Xpedition

brazilgirl

I appreciate it , Host Anne.

Amber,

Yes , there were several kids on board , perhaps due to school vacation...my son Nicholas was the youngest . There were several multi-generational groups , with grandparents and their whole families.

My daughter ended up becoming great freinds with a girl we met on our roll call, they played games and hung out.

As you know , there is no children's program , but it was not a problem. Due to the 2 excursions a Day , the kids enjoyed down time int he room , reading and watching movies.

There is an extensive selection of new movies to check out from Guest Relations plus current movies and series on t.v. Since we were so active , this was nice.

The wetsuits fit my daughter who is 14 properly , but were huge on my 11 and 7 year olds. There were masks and flippers that fit all of them.

People were very kind to the kids and they absolutely loved the cruise.

Kim

I really appreciate you posting your review here so I can enjoy the pictures. This is definitely on my bucket list. How physically fit do you have to be?

Do you have any pictures of the XPedition? Inside pics?

Thanks again, this trip looks wonderful!

Just on this page ( page one) , I am currently counting 4 reviews/trip reports. Since I have been a member of CC , one of the best tools at hand for planning my cruises has been the "interactive" reviews on the Celebrity forum.

While I do read the member reviews ( and have contributed to them in the past) , they do not allow for questions or comments , nor photos , which I find very helpful in the cruise planning process.

In my humble opionion , I find cruise reviews on the Celebrity forums ( not mine- all of the 100s I have read in the past years) to be very helpful and pertinent , much more so than endless threads on dress codes and bad food. But , that´s just me!

I do plan to write a member review , but the format is different , so I will modify it.

Cheers.

Kim

The phsically fit question is a good one.....

We had a huge range of passengers in terms of age. Nicholas , my son , was the youngest and I met one gentleman who was 87.

In order to fully take advantage of the cruise , some level of fitness is required. The highlights of the cruise include a walk with over 300 steps to a gorgeous lookout , treks over lava fields and snorkeling. I am 42 and exercise regularly and the twice a day long excursions made me take a nap every day , which I don´t normally do.

However , the Xpedtion recognizes the different levels of the passengers´capabilities , there were "short walks" available and relaxing zodiac ride options . The naturalists were very attuned to the passengers´abilities and were always ready to give a hand when needed.

Many people on board had knee and hip problems and they had a wonderful time. Several extended families would opt for different excursions according to interests and physical fitness.

I do have photos of the ship , I just need to finish uploading them ( I have 1500 photos!) and I´ll post them too.

Kim

Hi Brazil Girl

Glad to read that you enjoyed your Galapagos Trip. We went ahead of you and we rate it as one of the best cruises we were ever on. Hope you enjoyed Guide Freddy, Veronica and Don Carlos

Great pictures to

Best

SFL:D

brazil girl

thank you for doing this. like others this trip is on my bucket list. i'll keep reading your posts. it's so great you got to go as a family and the kids have an experience of a lifetime.

i am curious did you have a very active roll call group? with such a small number of passengers i wondered. Also where were all the passengers from? lots of americans or wide mix of nationalities?

michelle

brazil girl

thank you for doing this. like others this trip is on my bucket list. i'll keep reading your posts. it's so great you got to go as a family and the kids have an experience of a lifetime.

i am curious did you have a very active roll call group? with such a small number of passengers i wondered. Also where were all the passengers from? lots of americans or wide mix of nationalities?

michelle

Michelle-

Our roll call was very small , but active!Basically , 2 other families were part of it. Luckily , one of the extended families ( Elizabeth´s) had a 13 yr old girl . My daughter chatted with her on e-mail before the cruise and they became inseparable on the cruise. Elizabeth´s family were our" buddies" on the cruise , amazing people. Eleizabeth even brought me American Bonine , which turned out to be sorely necessary due to the rough seas the first couple of days.

The other family was Mike´s , a great guy who whom I enjoyed several nice conversations , traveling with his charming wife and son and daughter in-law.

There were few nationalities other than American- we had South Africans and Brits , as well as some Aussies. We were the only Brazilians!

As I said previosuly , it was very easy to get to know people on board and the group was full of "top" professionals. Everyone I talked to had an a fascinating job. Lots of really smart , articulate people! I joked to my mom that I felt like I was on the bottom of the food chain of " smartness" , ha!

SFL ,

Glad you loved your tripa s much as we did. Freddy and Jaun Carlos were on board , but I don´t think Veronica was. Our favorite naturalists were Giovanna ( wonderful!) , Juan Carlos and Marvin. They were really knowledgeable and kind. Incredible crew in general!

Outstanding, review as usual, Kim. We've seriously thought about Galapagpos as well. Perhaps next year. After our recent trip to Tibet and Chengdu, China (to play with pandas), we're eager for more "soft" adventures, such as this.

My thanks for such a delightful, practical, and informative accounting of your wonderful family adventure. I've often said that exposing children to other cultures and the world in general will encourage them to become sensitive and responsible adults.

Mary Anne

Kim ~ I've just had a chance to read all of your review written so far. You have the wonderful ability to "take people there." Can't wait to read more. My DH has a big birthday coming up in two years. I'll have to "encourage" him to consider this cruise! :)

Thanks again for the wonderful review and photos. Can't wait to see all of them.

Mary Anne and Host Anne

Thank you for the warm comments , I really appreciate your feedback.

I know you both will love the Galapagos and the Xpedition , a great blend of Nature and creature comforts!

Since my " real life" is creeping in on my post trip bliss , I will try to " tie up" my review. Instead of finishing my blow by blow excursion account , I´ll try to be more succint.

Itineraries will be changing in September , due to new laws in the Galapagos.

I thought I´d try to finish up by what a consider to be the absolute "DO NOT MISSES" , the highlights of a trip that only had highlights.

Española Island

At the top of the list would be our excursion to Española Island....it was done on our second day in the afternoon , and we opted for the long walk , whcih is the one that allowed for viewing the Waved Albatross.

Española Island is stunning. The gorgeous cliffs , deep blue water and teeming , unique wildlife make it the crown jewel of the Galapagos , IUMHO. The marine biologist on board , Ellen Prager , and several of the naturalists I spoke to agreed it was their favorite.

We disembarked on a white sandy beach with lots of turtles , sea lions and marine iguanas frolicking.

We started on our walk and immediately saw many blue footed boobies , gulls and other birds. Then my husband was the first to notice a BIG bird with a yellowish head: The Waved Albatross. The Waved Albatross is the world´s coolest bird! Mates for life and has a charming , hilarious , endearing courtship ritual that we were privileged enough to witness. It is rather like a medieval sword fight with honking , clacking and bill circling involved.

an10lk.jpg

My son dancing with the Albatross , I love this photo!

2912t6d.jpg

Albatross doing their ritual

2gw6ouu.jpg

Española Cliffs

23r5xxj.jpg

Naturalist and kids watching blowhole

On the island , there is also a fantastic blowhole that goes 20 meters high , Galapagos Hawks and so many other things!

Another highlight : The Shark Feeding Frenzy

Yes , that is right. On Wednesday morning , we were the last panga off the ship , a small group. The naturalists had observed a HUGE flock of birds circling an area a bit off the boat and then they saw SHARK FINS. So , what did we do? We went over there to check it out! Of course!

There was a school of sardines ( we think) , maybe 2,000 or so , that became the prey to a school of Galapagos sharks ( over 10 ft long and known to attack humans!)And the birds ( friagates , pelicans , boobies etc ) got in on the feast .There was so much thrashing! And the big old sharks went around right by our panga. My kids about died and went to heaven ! It was so incredible.

2gvooqc.jpg

The birds at the frenzy...didn´t get a good shark photo , too fast!!

Life again...more highlights later

Kim, I am enjoying your review and photos, you have taken me right back to February when we went. Loved it so much we are going back again in November 2012! I also liked your comments encouraging people to see Ecuador as well - we spent 12 days after our Xpedition adventure touring Ecuador and saw so much of the country - just my husband, myself, a friend and a driver/guide. What a beautiful amazing country.

BrusselsGirl07-

Thanks! You have been an amazing source of info for everyone on the "Monster Thread" . I am jealous you get to go back to the Galapagos so soon!

I am glad you got to explore Ecuador too. We spent 8 days there , driving around , and I already want to go back . So much in such a little country. I really encourage people to not be " afraid" of going to Ecuador without the safety net of the Celebrity package. While it certainly seems like the package is very nice , I think adding on additional time or doing the land part on your own can be an incredibly rich experience. I subscribe to a lot of travel mags and Ecuador is frequently cited as a "hidden" destination that travelers tend to overlook.

Australia is on my "bucket list" too!

Kim

BJR1....

My husband did. He felt bad while in Quito. My children and I felt fine , except for getting a bit more winded than usual .

My husband had trouble sleeping and shortness of breath. However , he is a bad boy and smokes 2 cigarettes a day , which I am sure was a factor. He is a runner too , it is hard to determine who will feel the effects.

Kim

Kim - Thanks for all the information/pics and most importantly for started this thread. I started that "mega thread" years ago, before our trip. It was, as you have said and as your pictures show, the trip of a lifetime. Beats everything we've done whether it was a cruise or land tour...and we are very experienced travelers. To everyone who is reading this thread...BOOK IT. ;)

Sandy-

It is so cool that you were the " founder" of the famed monster thread...such a fantastic source of info!

Finishing up our highlights:

The Grand Marnier Canneloni and the Churros ( lunchtime desserts)

Snorkeling....we were very happy to have a great snorkeling experience on Santiago Island. We saw giant see turtles , a plethora of fish and coral and my daughter ran across a small shark. My husband and daughter also snorkeled with the sea lions on Champion Island , very memorable.

i6xkb6.jpg

Hiking to 300 something steps to the amazing lookout on Bartolome Island...

My younger sons building sandcastles on pure , clean sand , no pollution in sight , no vendors , hawkers , just nature at it´s best...

29igcn.jpg

The charming blue footed boobies everywhere...so goofily charming and I never tired of seeing them

121ej5d.jpg

The unique Marine Iguanas that only exist on the Galapagos...they sneeze so much to remove the salt form their airways and my kids would say "Bless You"

do73fq.jpg

The playful , sweet sea lions....

2daf48m.jpg

I could go on and on . It was truly a trip of a lifetime and I am so glad I had the privelige of sharing this gift with my family. My children learned so much and so did we. We made wonderful friends and were pampered by Xpedition´s topnotch crew.

A perfect vacation!

Brazilgirl,

Congratulations on a well executed vacation plan. I am pleased to see that your family really enjoyed the trip. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

My wife and I also very much enjoyed this cruise two years ago. What an experience!!

Your pics are amazing. We're actually thinking of going back. Although our trip was perfect in our eyes, I know they've improved and added much to the trip. We were "pioneers". I also would like to see the amazing animals/sites , not from behind the lens of my camera. :o Glad you started this thread. ;)

Sandy,

Are you aware that they are changing the itineraries in September of this year? So there will be " new" options for all of the pioneers! The new itineraries look really good.

Dr. Ellen Prager was on board in order to analyze /help develop the new itineraries. It is tempting to go back! I can´t resist the lure of the lens ...but I try to "live" in the moment too!

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

Kim,

Thanks for posting the review and the pics - loved them! We have been trying to decide when would be the best time to go to the Galapagos with our kids (my husband went on his own before I knew him and can't wait to go back). The timing has always been my issue as we have a 7 year age gap between our daughters so I need to pick a time when the younger is old enough but before the older finishes high school. I thought that I had decided to wait until Katie is in grade 12 (2013-14) but now that I've seen your photos, I want to go tomorrow!

Lisa

Hi Lisa ,

How old are your children? My youngest is 7 years younger than my oldest ( Isabella is 14 and Nicholas is 7). I really felt that all three kids enjoyed the trip immensely and learned so much.

I think the trip made a huge impression on them as human beings , really teaching them the need to respect nature and wildlife. They were already interested in this issue , but now they have a whole different outlook , as do I.

Next February , my daughter will be a freshman . The challenges of high school and the pull of "friends" rather than family will increase. I have a good friend whose son had always enjoyed family trips tell me that her son , now 15 , has become more "grouchy" about traveling with the family.

So , I say , don´t put it off! If you can go , go! You will LOVE it and so will your kids.

Kim

Archived