Summit Children's menus

RCKM43

I can't answer, but I'm glad you posted. We are traveling with a group that includes a 7 yr old. Is there definitely a children's menu in the main dining room? Do I need to ask for it? I didn't start cruising X until our DD was older (and now she's the reason for our group- she's getting married onboard in less than one week), so I just never thought of this until you posted. Thanks!

We cruised last year with 6 kids (extemded family included). They did have a kids menu - it changed nightly & included normal kid cuisine - burgers, chicken, pasta, etc. Most of the kids would order from the adult menu though - the every day adult menu has basic food my children enjoyed.

I can't answer, but I'm glad you posted. We are traveling with a group that includes a 7 yr old. Is there definitely a children's menu in the main dining room? Do I need to ask for it? I didn't start cruising X until our DD was older (and now she's the reason for our group- she's getting married onboard in less than one week), so I just never thought of this until you posted. Thanks!

I have never cruised with my children - our last cruise I was pregnant with DD#1.

I only saw on here yesterday that they had one so I wanted to get a peak at it.

They do have one but it's all junk food- nothing healthy pretty much at all. IMO it's a disgrace not to have some better options for children. I know they'll make stuff if you ask, but why not advertise that they will do it in case people don't know?

I don't know how old the OP's kid(s) are, but I urge the OP to take this opportunity to encourage your kid to try out new foods on the adult menu. If you took your kid to a fancy land restaurant, you wouldn't want to take a chance on ordering an expensive salad, soup, appetizer or entree if there was a good chance it would be rejected. But guess what! It's all included in your cruise fare, so you can feel free to experiment. Let them try the Ceasar salad, the french onion soup, the fettucine alfredo, the shrimp cocktail, not to mention filet mignon or new york strip steak, followed by luscious desserts like creme brulee. Our kids have been on 11 cruises, and the staff has always bent over backward to welcome them and make them happy with their dinner choices.

My kids were 4 and 8 when they went on their first cruise. They ordered from the kids' menu on the first night, then realized they could order whatever they wanted from the adult menu. They never looked back. The only problem has been when we return to land and they want to order all those fancy, multiple, expensive courses! :D

Does anyone happen to have copies of the Summit Children's menus?

Hi we have cruised with our Grandchildren since the youngest was 3 on various cruise lines, we have always found all of the waiters to be fantastic at encouraging the children to try different things with the promise that they could change anything that they didn't like, they loved the frogs legs, not so keen on the snails!!!! I am embarrased to admit that they are much more adventurous than I am:o

I did notice on our last cruise that a teenager at the next table had a hotdog ever night for dinner!!! Oh well it takes all sorts.

Jean

I don't know how old the OP's kid(s) are, but I urge the OP to take this opportunity to encourage your kid to try out new foods on the adult menu. If you took your kid to a fancy land restaurant, you wouldn't want to take a chance on ordering an expensive salad, soup, appetizer or entree if there was a good chance it would be rejected. But guess what! It's all included in your cruise fare, so you can feel free to experiment. Let them try the Ceasar salad, the french onion soup, the fettucine alfredo, the shrimp cocktail, not to mention filet mignon or new york strip steak, followed by luscious desserts like creme brulee. Our kids have been on 11 cruises, and the staff has always bent over backward to welcome them and make them happy with their dinner choices.

My kids were 4 and 8 when they went on their first cruise. They ordered from the kids' menu on the first night, then realized they could order whatever they wanted from the adult menu. They never looked back. The only problem has been when we return to land and they want to order all those fancy, multiple, expensive courses! :D

Thank you - I totally agree with your view about having children try new foods - I was someone who was going to the top NYC restaurants since I was 5 and so I was eating escargot and loved things like pate at that age, as far as the cruise goes - we eat very well at our home - we never eat things like chicken fingers etc, I was curious about the children's menu b.c I like to offer them choices - since we don't eat that food at home I don't mind if they occasionally partake in it on our vacations. Knowing my girls they would prefer a steak, broccoli and salad anyway - but I like to give them options. My girls are 2 and 4 - and my 4 year old has a lot of food allergies so she probably won't be eating off either menu. Their favorite foods are (or were until we recently found my DD's allergies and she had to go on an elimination diet so we don't eat processed foods) carrot or broccoli leek soups, cesear salads, fillet mingnon etc. They are allergic to shellfish so they won't be trying the shrimp. My mother cooks mainly from gourmet so they DO try a lot of things normally at our home.

my son would eat some things from the kids menu and some things from the adult menu. My son loved the caesar salad and fruit salad every night. The waiter would sometimes let him modify the things on the menu. The kids menu had hamburger, hot dog and fries every night but other dishes would change pasta, steak, chicken, etc He never had any trouble finding what to eat.

They do have one but it's all junk food- nothing healthy pretty much at all. IMO it's a disgrace not to have some better options for children. I know they'll make stuff if you ask, but why not advertise that they will do it in case people don't know?

I agree here. We ordered from the adult menu for the little ones.

The assistant Maitre d' will handle any special food requests. I think most of the adult offerings could be modified for kids and smaller portions could be ordered.

I agree that avoiding lots of junk food is a good thing.

Maybe avoiding the kids menu altogether would encourage them to try things from the adult menu. They can get burgers, fries, etc at the poolside grill for lunch.

With the rare exception of an occasional hamburger, we always ordered from the adult menu for my kid from the time he was 3 years old. There is always something good available (and remember, you can always order from the 'all the time' side of the menu with chicken, steak, or salmon and a variety of other things)

Thank you again for all your "suggestions" however my children don't eat burgers, pizza or chicken fingers at home - they eat chicken, broccoli, steak (fillet), veggies and fruits. So we don't mind that they occasionally have some "children" foods when we go on vacation. They do try and experiment all sorts of foods at home, and in fact their friends' parents all want their kids to eat like ours do. I was simply asking if anyone had a copy of the children's menu to see IF there was anything that they would like on it - not looking for parenting advice. As it is one of my girls won't be eating at the grill b.c she has food allergies so she can only get those foods in the dining room/room service where they can accommodate her allergies.

Thank you again for all your "suggestions" however my children don't eat burgers, pizza or chicken fingers at home - they eat chicken, broccoli, steak (fillet), veggies and fruits. So we don't mind that they occasionally have some "children" foods when we go on vacation. They do try and experiment all sorts of foods at home, and in fact their friends' parents all want their kids to eat like ours do. I was simply asking if anyone had a copy of the children's menu to see IF there was anything that they would like on it - not looking for parenting advice. As it is one of my girls won't be eating at the grill b.c she has food allergies so she can only get those foods in the dining room/room service where they can accommodate her allergies.

Please remember that these boards are read by lots of people besides yourself, and when you start a thread you are also starting a springboard of information for others.

I didn't mean to sound like I was giving parenting advice to you or anyone else, but rather making people aware of the wonderful opportunity presented on a cruise. The average family cruiser is probably not someone as privileged as yourself who could dine on escargot in the top NY restaurants at age 5. The average family cruiser is probably someone for whom dining out with the family at an expensive land restaurant is a somewhat more rare treat, and they may hesitate to order their child a $10+ appetizer, plus a $12+ salad and a $35+ entree, especially if they're afraid it will be rejected. That has certainly been our situation, and we have always viewed our cruises as great opportunities for experimenting in a way we wouldn't on land.

BTW, for parents of kids with food allergies who may be reading this, we have found the cruise lines to be very accomodating and helpful in dealing with our kids' food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, clams).

Please remember that these boards are read by lots of people besides yourself, and when you start a thread you are also starting a springboard of information for others.

I didn't mean to sound like I was giving parenting advice to you or anyone else, but rather making people aware of the wonderful opportunity presented on a cruise. The average family cruiser is probably not someone as privileged as yourself who could dine on escargot in the top NY restaurants at age 5. The average family cruiser is probably someone for whom dining out with the family at an expensive land restaurant is a somewhat more rare treat, and they may hesitate to order their child a $10+ appetizer, plus a $12+ salad and a $35+ entree, especially if they're afraid it will be rejected. That has certainly been our situation, and we have always viewed our cruises as great opportunities for experimenting in a way we wouldn't on land.

BTW, for parents of kids with food allergies who may be reading this, we have found the cruise lines to be very accomodating and helpful in dealing with our kids' food allergies (peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, clams).

Thank you - while I agree with that it is nice to educate everyone on what is available - I assumed people would say - Here is the children's menu - but you should also be aware that they are more than welcome to order anything on the adult menu and it is a good opportunity for them to try something they might not order elsewhere b.c if they don't like it they can get something else- etc.

But it seemed as though most people were just saying don't feed your children junk take the opportunity to give them an adult meal only. It seemed more of a commentary rather than offering helpful advice.

I am elite with Celebrity and honestly had no idea that they HAD a kid's menu in the 1st place. I only read that one existed on here the other day. I assumed if they wanted those items they would have to eat in the kids area or the buffet.

Our older children ordered off the adult menu. I was very impressed w/ how open they were to trying new things. We had our 4 year old w/ us also and he would get things off both the kid menu and the adult menu.

BTW Congrats on all your weight loss! I have been following your blog and you are doing great ;)

I'm disappointed to hear that Celebrity's children's menu has changed to "junk food". When our daughters were little the children's menu changed every night and was mostly a simplified version of the adult menu. For instance, if the adult menu had a fruit salad with some alcohol on it, the kids' had a plain fruit salad; tomato basil soup might be simply tomato soup, etc. The kids were encouraged to order from the adult menu and often selected from both. They were both generally adventurous eaters and cruising helped develop that even more.

Archived